Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Progressive unit--lifetime warranty [orginal owner]; Surge Guard products--one year....choose wisely "grasshopper"......
Thanx.....

I'm thinking the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30x is the one...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #16

Make sure you save your receipt. You will have to prove you are the original owner in order to get lifetime warranty
ccssid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #17

Electrical Management System (EMS)

Electrical Management System (EMS) Is far more than a surge protector, do you need one; that depends on your confidence in the power provided by the park and the motor homes around you? Is it all wired correctly, does the motor home next to you have a problem? Your choice?

Product Features:
Over/Under voltage Protection
Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection
Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Protection
Accidental 240V Protection
Miswired Pedestal Indication
Surge Failure Indicator
Amperage Meter Display
Previous Error Code
A/C Frequency Protection
Time Delay (136 seconds)
Adjustable Time Delay
Thermally Protected
Built-in Scrolling Digital Display
Remote Display
Field Serviceable
UL Certified and Canadian Approved
Lifetime Warranty
Made in the USA
Old 10-19-2017, 05:09 AM   #18

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I had one burn up (I mean totally melded) at a big campground. Fortunately no damage to coach. The camp ground bosses came around to explain that entire roll was wired in parallel and there was a short in the beginning of the row. They reimbursed me for the damage. One camper burned up his TV before circuit popped. Some coaches are now coming out with internal surge protectors. Ask the dealer or the maker of your coach. If external, get a lock because they have a bad habit of walking off if your not there. On another occasion I had one that kept tripping but found out that the problem was in the shore power. Camp employee changed the 50 amp within an hour. Bottom line: highly recommend it.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #19

Another vote for using electrical protection all the time. Actual surges may not be the biggest risk - low voltage from the line leads to things like air conditioners drawing more current to compensate, which can lead to a fire hazard that's worse than spikes. I was in a park earlier this summer - really hot weather so lots of power going to ACs - where the pedestal voltage measured only 108, which is the absolute minimum per standards. Yes, it can happen.

As long as you're messing with one more thing to plug in, I recommend the Progressive Industries PTS-30X EMS. Why go half way?
Old 10-26-2017, 06:05 AM   #20

I greatly appreciate the level of detail provided by others and received a solid education in surge protectors and low voltage issues. Thanks to everyone who took time to help me. I bought a Progressive EMS with a lock and will save my receipt for warranty purposes.
Jemidami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #21

If you have the newer RV unit, do as others have said, get the Progressive EMS system. don't know if you have 30 or 50 amp system, bit Progressive makes it for both and had both portable and hardwired units with lifetime warranty. I got the 30 amp portable unit for our MBS Sprinter and it works great! Tells you the voltage, shuts down if necessary, etc. The question you have to ask yourself is "is the cost of the unit worth saving the cost to repair a RV electrical system or components"? My thought are, first time it works, you are money ahead. Highly recommend Progressive Industries and do a comparison with them to what Camping World sells - no real comparison, I think.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote