Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #1

Surge protectors

I am looking at 2 different surge protectors (1) surge guard 34520 (hardwire) and (2) progressive industries EMS-HW30C (hardwire)
I am considering hardwire over portable as from what I have read they have the ability to walk off and not all have weather protection.
Anyone have any experience with either of these products or any other surge guard/progressive or any other brand of surge protectors. Thank you in advance for any information.
newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes, I have used the TRC portable products and have had great experience with them. I recently bought a Progressive industries portable surge protector/EMS unit. Honestly they both work the same. TRC had given me good support for the last two products I bought. I got the progressive from a friend for a price I couldn't resist, the Progressive will stay in the coach for travel and the TRC will hang on the tower at home, only because the lock on the progressive is much better.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #3

One recommendation, order the remote panel so you can see from inside what is going on with the power to your unit. if you should ever experience a problem you will appreciate that interior monitor
Old 01-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #4

First off make sure you are using the right terms. A Surge Protector is not very much protection from what you can face as an RVer. A Electrical Management System (EMS) is what you want because that will protect you from, high/low voltages, poor Neutrals and other conditions besides a voltage Surge.

As it is, EMS-HW30C and the 34520 are EMS devices.

As for being hardwired compared to portable. First ask yourself, how much would a pawn shop offer for an EMS? The thief value is really low.

With our trailer, we used a portable EMS-PT50C for 10 years. It is waterproof. We used a cable lock not because we worried about it being taken but to relieve the tension on the power receptacle because of the box size.

A portable EMS has the advantage of being moved from site to site when looking for good power in a questionable park, hard to do with a hard-wired EMS.

But when we ordered the Bounder, we did have the EMS installed. Either type is good, the protection is necessary.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
Community Administrator

I couldn't fit the hard wired in a dry place where it needed to be so I installed the portable in the service bay. That solved the walk away and weather issues .

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1483562641.766839.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	148255

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #6

Have used the Progressive EMS for three years, first on TT, and now on our motorhome. Love the portability, and a simple chain and padlock around the power pedestal means no 'walk away'. Doesn't take an extra 15 seconds to put on or remove, and weather has never been an issue.

We are staying in a southern campground for the winter, and every few mornings, somewhere between 7 am and 8 am, the surge protector detects a low voltage situation and it works as designed. Folks up getting breakfast, hair dryers running, etc. and there's a power drop, so surge protector cuts power until voltage integrity has self-corrected; usually no longer than three or four minutes.

Man across from us said that a year ago, he didn't have a surge protector, and lightning hit a campground pole three units from him (not this campground). He went on to tell me about all the things burned out or melted in his 5th wheel, and it ran into the thousands of dollars. Now he's a surge protector prophet.
shiloh14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #7

I'm not against surge protectors, but lightening travels a few thousand feet thru air.
The device on your power cord is not going to stop it, if close enough.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:23 AM   #8

I believe the largest concern is miss wired campgrounds, or worn out campground towers.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:35 AM   #9

Just go ahead and get the Progressive EMS. It's the best you can buy. Period!!!
They have the best warranty and they are available 24/7 if you ever have a problem on the road.
It detects and protects your rig, not only with a "surge", but also with a low voltage problem, which can damage your electronics just as fast as a bad surge.
Have had the hardwired system in our class c, was the very first modification I did, and has detected low voltage problems twice in the 3 1/2 years since the install. Probably saved me more in problem costs than the EMS cost.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:39 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Progressive EMS has a lifetime warranty, TRC does not

I have used both, both work fine. They do shut down power when a problem occurs with the supply side. I have had that happen 5 or 6 times from bad ground, low voltage, loose receptacle, etc. Low voltage is the big exposure, it will ruin A/C's , Micros, and Power control centers.

They are good to have.

I have a portable now, in my TT, bought it for $100 on craigslist. I prefer the hard wired unit I had in my motorhome.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #11

I installed the Progressive hard wire unit. I replaced the 4x4 junction box that joined the shore cord to the house wiring with it, and you want the remote with the hard wire unit, it is very nice to watch voltage and amp load from inside. Only issue with the hardwire is that SOME failure modes could leave you powerless, such as a failure of the simple 40 amp rated Leviton contactor that is inside it. Beyond that, there is not much to get concerned with as far as failures. It has an electronic bypass that can be activated from inside at the remote indicator but you need to be certain that there are no problems in the incoming current before doing this.

Charles
Old 01-06-2017, 08:20 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a TRC portable.. WHY? well great deal on it (I won't say how great)

I plan on converting it to "installed" likely later this month or next when I'll be "off line" for a bit.

However if I was paying full price.. I'd go with the Progressive Industries.

The logic
TRC warrants for one year against defects in materials and workmanship

Progressive Industries: As long as you own the vehicle in which you install it for HW's as long as YOU own it for PT's and .....

Reports from users they will even warrant against lightening strike.. (That falls well OUTSIDE the normal warrantits)

I have noticed many RV products the warranty seems to exceed expectations... but PI clearly is one of those companies.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I use the portable Progressive Industries box. I've been using it with the box plugged into the power pole and the MH cord plugged into the box, but what I intend to do is purchase a 25' 30 amp (my MH is 30 amp) extension cord. Then I can leave the PI box plugged into the power cord in the electrical bay and run the extension from the power pedestal to the MH.

That way the PI box is protected from the elements and hidden from prying eyes, and if I find myself in a situation where the power pedestal is an usually long distance from the electrical bay, I can put the PI box on the pedestal as "normal" and use both cords to reach it.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #14

just out of curiosity on your 25ft 30 amp extension cord, what size gauge wire does it have 12 or 10?
newb is offline   Reply With Quote