Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2019, 10:45 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Sway bar choice

I have reviewed a lot of posts concerning handling for E 450 and various posts comment that they installed a plethoria of add ons. I undestand that each coach is different and highway conditons vary .So what i would like to ask is what brand of sway bar did you chose and did you install it or have it installed.I am capable of installing if no drilling required.My coach is a Winnie 31 g at 32'9" 2018 i do this just in case my signature does not show up.When i test drove it it handled ok and since then i ihave towed a 2013 Equinox and it has given me some fits off and on.I leveled out the tow bar with a 4 in drop lt is almost perfect level it helped a little.Then i stopped at the factory and had a Safe Steer installed it helped great as long as i was not towing,but even then it helped some when towing.Just the other day i took a trip without the toad and it handled great,just about like drving a pick up.Had the tire pressure and air bags where they should be and like i said it handled great without the toad.I think i will try the rear sway/trac control bar first then if that dont work move on to the front sway/trac control bar.I have a 3 mos road trip coming up and i want to get this taken care of.As for the front end alignment on this last toadless trip it tracked almost perfect.I am just trying to get a starting point of which sway / trac bar to go with.Hope i have made myself clear and thanks ahead for any help

Dave
gegetit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2019, 12:28 AM   #2

I used a Hellwig rear sway bar on my 30 ft C.

It was bought thru Amazon and an easy install with just a few wrenches.

Remarkable difference in handling, towing or not. So much that I didn't do any other handling upgrades.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:30 PM   #3

I have Helwigs front and rear. No big deal installing them. However, it seems you also have a problem towing. I think your Equinox might be too much for your unit. Just a thought.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #4

I have hellwigs front & rear. the rear is heavy and your in an uncomfortable position, but yes not that hard. do yourself a favor and get help. as you can see in my signature I have done several things to my rig and still have more to go.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:35 PM   #5

Hi Dave gegetit,

Whether Helwig or Roadmaster, the front and rear stabilizer bar should not require drilling. The specs between the two are the same so I vote for the Helwig to save big money,.

Every rig has their own unique handling characteristics. And the characteristics will change pending your driving conditions and your load. If you plan to own your new rig for a very long time, don't mess around trying to get by with as little as you can. Just do the gamut and benefit from now until the day you sell the rig. That was our strategy in 2007 when we bought our rig. We have been enjoying our road trips out west, in-part from the comfort of our driving experience.

Not just for handling, but for driver fatigue and the comfort of your passengers. There is also the safety factor in having a well planted rig on the road. Imagine driving on a mountain or canyon byway, the road is wet, and you stumble on a large animal as you come around a sharp bend in the road. With all tires firmly planted, your control and stopping power will be dramatically better.

I advise doing the following upgrades now and benefit throughout your ownership.....especially since you experience handling issues under certain conditions.

- heavy duty front and rear Helwig stabilizer bars
- heavy duty front and rear Bilstein shock absorbers (I bought them on Tire Rack's website at a good price)
- heavy duty front steering stabilizer (you did this already)
- rear trac bar (this to eliminate "Tail Wagging The Dog" especially when towing)
- 80 psi in all your tires with consideration to your near 33 foot length
- get a front wheel alignment with your rig loaded up just as if you were ready to leave home. If you can, include weight to represent the people sitting in their respective seats. I placed exercise weights just behind the driver and passenger seats to represent my wife and me in our seats.

Other than the wheel alignment, I think you could handle the installation of everything. CLICK HERE to read about my shock absorber story. It covers installation on a 2007 E350. Your 2018 E450 will be the same.

About the 80 psi. CLICK HERE to read about my experience with tire gauges. A poorly calibrated gauge at 80 psi could put you in harms way.

A point about tires. You own the longest class C rig on an E450 that I ever read about, at 32'-9". I would be very concerned that your tires are under-rated for your rig's loaded condition. Get the rig weighed during your next trip at a truck stop. Then calculate the actual load on each tire. Standard "E" rated tires handle only so much weight. If you find your tires are over-loaded, consider those special "E" rated tires that handle around 500 pounds more per tire at 83 psi. A rear tire blow-out can do piles of damage to a motor home, much more costly than a set of higher-rated tires.
The steel belted rubber thrashing around often damages your wood RV floor so such repairs go only so far. Nobody is going to replace the floor in a motor home, and any attempt will degrade the house structure.

A front tire blow out has most risk to your own safety.
to see a video on a motor home getting a front tire blow out.

Do everything you can to avoid a tire blow out. Make sure your tires are inflated properly and are not over-loaded.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Re your question on which anti-sway bars: The PO of my coach self-installed Helwigs front and rear and had a shop install a Steer Safe. He said the handling improvement was significant. He also installed heavy duty Bilsteins.

Since owning the rig, I bought adjustable bushings and had Rush Ford here in Denver get me positive 5 degrees of caster. (Got their prior approval to install non-Ford parts.) There was noticeable improvement with the increased caster.

Owing to the fact that all the after-market add ons have had a positive effect on my rig, I kinda think Ron's shotgun approach has merit. Hmmmm ...... so now I have to shell out for a Track Bar.

Good luck with your fix, and safe travels..........
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:06 AM   #7

I don’t see how a toad would affect body sway, which is what sway bars control.

My Leprechaun 26DS on F450 came with a hefty rear sway bar. I didn’t look to see if there is one on the front but sway isn’t a problem.

I just towed my new Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk a couple of thousand miles with it with no issues. It weighs 4,100 poinds. I was concerned as my previous Patriot weighed 3,100 pounds. I couldn’t tell the difference. I only notice it at all pulling up mountain passes (live in Idaho). Brake Buddy rarely activates because I control speed on downs with engine and leave good space ahead.

BTW air bags don’t help sway, but the Leprechaun has them too and I pump them to 80psi. I do notice ride degradation when they get down to 30.

I had a sway problem with a 4,000 pound Arctic Fox camper on my 3/4 ton dodge pickup.As noted air bags did nothing but level the rig. The Hellwig heavy duty sway bar fixed it up. It did better than the standard. I put both on with no issues. Might still have the standard if anyone wants it.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #8
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my 2007 E450 I used Hellwig from sdtrucksprings. Here is a link to yours, which is the same one I bought. https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...8825&x=84&y=10

I do not recall the cost of the other brands but this was the lowest cost. I have had several good experiences with them. Call or email them with questions even if you know the answers. They will discount to get you to buy.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:21 PM   #9

I guess I can let you know. I have a 2018 Minnie Winnie 31G. I tow a 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara. All in all, i found the handling of the stock setup acceptable. However, after hearing nothing but positive feedback on the improvement I decided to do the swap. We are heading from MA to Myrtle Beach in a week.

I ordered front and rear Hellwig sway bars. I received the bars and the rear didn't fit. The brackets didn't line up. I sent pictures and they confirmed it was the right bar. It just wasn't bent right. Apparently this has never happened before or is quite rare with the number of bars they sell. They were mystified. Sending out a new bar, so the motorhome has been sitting for a week now. The front bolted right up. Obviously have not tried as i wasn't about to reinstall the stock one only to remove it.

I will post my results.
4gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:59 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gone View Post
I guess I can let you know. I have a 2018 Minnie Winnie 31G. I tow a 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara. All in all, i found the handling of the stock setup acceptable. However, after hearing nothing but positive feedback on the improvement I decided to do the swap. We are heading from MA to Myrtle Beach in a week.

I ordered front and rear Hellwig sway bars. I received the bars and the rear didn't fit. The brackets didn't line up. I sent pictures and they confirmed it was the right bar. It just wasn't bent right. Apparently this has never happened before or is quite rare with the number of bars they sell. They were mystified. Sending out a new bar, so the motorhome has been sitting for a week now. The front bolted right up. Obviously have not tried as i wasn't about to reinstall the stock one only to remove it.

I will post my results.
I have ordred front and rear Helwigs also ghey are due here today will try and install 1st of next week and test drive/ pull and then if not satisfied will will go for a trac bar.I am saving it for last because they are quite pricey will keep all posted
Old 04-05-2019, 02:47 PM   #11

Well, the replacement rear sway bar arrived today. I had it bolted up in about 15 minutes. I was able to take a motorhome on a bit of a test run a couple of back roads and the highway. I found the difference to be quite noticeable. The side to side motion when going over the bumps on my particularly rough road we're mostly eliminated and the whole unit felt much much tighter. Very glad I did it. It's really windy here today so I was fighting some decent gusts on the highway it was not getting pushed around anywhere near like I would have before. Have my rear airbags at 70psi, however the unit is not loaded up with clothes and food yet but I did have water in the tank.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:07 AM   #12

aspect rear sway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gegetit View Post
I have reviewed a lot of posts concerning handling for E 450 and various posts comment that they installed a plethoria of add ons. I undestand that each coach is different and highway conditons vary .So what i would like to ask is what brand of sway bar did you chose and did you install it or have it installed.I am capable of installing if no drilling required.My coach is a Winnie 31 g at 32'9" 2018 i do this just in case my signature does not show up.When i test drove it it handled ok and since then i ihave towed a 2013 Equinox and it has given me some fits off and on.I leveled out the tow bar with a 4 in drop lt is almost perfect level it helped a little.Then i stopped at the factory and had a Safe Steer installed it helped great as long as i was not towing,but even then it helped some when towing.Just the other day i took a trip without the toad and it handled great,just about like drving a pick up.Had the tire pressure and air bags where they should be and like i said it handled great without the toad.I think i will try the rear sway/trac control bar first then if that dont work move on to the front sway/trac control bar.I have a 3 mos road trip coming up and i want to get this taken care of.As for the front end alignment on this last toadless trip it tracked almost perfect.I am just trying to get a starting point of which sway / trac bar to go with.Hope i have made myself clear and thanks ahead for any help

Dave
we have an aspect 2015 27Kwith constant rear sway. not overloaded. installed a front sway bar but still have issues. will a rear swAy bar help.?
kEN, VALRICO , fl
Keeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #13
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeja View Post
we have an aspect 2015 27Kwith constant rear sway. not overloaded. installed a front sway bar but still have issues. will a rear swAy bar help.?
kEN, VALRICO , fl
It likely will. I talked at length with Roadmaster and Hellwig and both told me "do the rear first, that is where the weight is." Makes sense. Of course this was after I did the front first.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:45 AM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
I recently purchased the Hellwig rear sway bar for my 2018 E450 based rig to help alleviate some handling concerns. I have no idea how some of the posts I've read say it installs in less than an hour. I'm on day 3 of the install, granted I'm not spending all day, but definitely at least a few hours per day.

If your rig already has the Hellwig helper springs installed, good luck. If they are adjusted properly they line up right where the mounting point is for the end links on the frame. You either have to raise or lower the helper springs (which can be a challenge on it's own) to get a wrench or socket in there to remove the factory end links. Plus this bar is HEAVY. I'm a fairly young 40-something and not out of shape, but this install was a challenge. Not saying it can't be done, but certainly not as easy as some on the forums make it sound.

I will say what a huge difference the rear bar makes to the handling though! More so than the alignment I had done recently. I'm installing the front Hellwig bar today and will be heading on a lengthy trip this week.

The rear anti-sway bars are much cheaper than the trac bars are, I'd start with one of those first. Granted, I'm not towing anything yet, just my $.02
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway bar