Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #1

Switched-ignition battery circuit in rear of Class C?

Hi everyone! We just bought a used 2004 Coachmen 258DB Freedom Class C. Very nice, 25k miles, well taken care of. Our first RV. Anyway, to my question...

I have a wireless backup camera I'm installing and I'm looking for a switched-ignition battery feed in the rear of the coach somewhere. Reason is that I want the camera powered up whenever the engine's running, not just when the vehicle is in reverse. I like the idea of being able to look at the backup camera for confirmation that it's safe to switch lanes. So I need the camera to be on whenever the vehicle is running. Any ideas of a circuit in the rear of the vehicle that could be tapped into that only provides 12v when the ignition switch is ON? I see there's a circuit in the 7-way trailer connector called "Fused Battery Lead/Aux Power" but I'm guessing that's hot all the time if it's a battery lead. But maybe not...anyone know if that's switched or hot at all times? Or another switched B+ circuit? Thanks!! BTW, Chevy C3500 chassis, 6.0L V8.

EDIT: Just went out and checked the Aux Power lead. No luck, not powered either vehicle off OR running. Must be it's not connected up front wherever it's supposed to be connected.

Andy
Andy Waddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

In the back I don't know of any chassis wires except tail lights. It might be simpler to run a single wire under the chassis to the rear for the power.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #3

I used the tail light circuit. Turned the parking lights on whenever I wanted to power up the camera.
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #4

Your other option is to go here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...bodybuild.html

Find your chassis and check the wiring for the 7 pin trailer connector. The wire bundle is probably laced up over the rear axle or gas tank. There is a switched 12 VDC for the supply to the towed vehicle battery charging in the spec. I know it is in the newer chassis but I do not know about your year. I'd tap the running lights, YMMV so your answer may be there. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #5

It's a Chevy
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #6

This is what I ended up doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
I used the tail light circuit. Turned the parking lights on whenever I wanted to power up the camera.
Good idea, this is what I went with. Easy to access, and if you forget and leave the light switch on the vehicle tells you when you exit by dinging at you, so there's no chance of leaving it on by mistake. Thanks!!

Andy
Andy Waddell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, class c