Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #1

Swivel base for E450 driver's seat

We have a 2012 Sunseeker 3170DS on a 2011 Ford E450 chassis. The new Atwood driver's seat swivel base, which you can only order through a Forest River dealer, is over $550 with shipping and sales tax. Ouch!!! Has anyone here installed the Discount Van and Truck swivel base for a 1996 or later stock E450 driver's seat? If so, will it turn a full 180 degrees? If so, is there any room behind the steering wheel for leaning the back of the seat back with the seat rotated 180 degrees? I don't mean like a recliner, but just so it isn't straight up. Thanks in advance for any replies.
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #2

Agree that price is ridiculous. I got the same price. If you find a solution please let me know.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:15 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
This mod using the base from discount van is common. The below link discusses it on both the E350 and 450 chassis and yes it swivels the full 180 degrees. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...ns/topics/7214 talks about several that have done it. Most also change the console on the doghouse to a smaller one (mine has the smaller one already installed) to make the swivel easier. I intend to add this mod soon. The dinette in my rig has a piano hinge on the back next to the passenger seat so I can flip it down if I want the added room. Both the flexsteel and standard Ford seat will swivel. I can send a copy of the PDF of a member doing it in a 2005 Glacier (Chinook Class C) if you send me a private message. Folks have done it in the Class B (Concourse) that I own as well.

The catch? Most recommend against doing the swivel on the driver's seat. (The link details why)
Old 03-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #4

RE: swivel base for E-450....

I did this mod to my '06 Itasca on an E-450 chassis equipped with "custom" OEM seats. The passenger side fit well & can be easily swiveled 359* [because of the airbag wire] by simply moving the seat back/forth/tilt as it passes the door armrest. Not so for the drivers side; the steering wheel/door armrest/seat armrest interference causes many problems & in-the-end, won't allow much seat reclining because of the steering wheel. It DOES work though....

I bought my seat swivel bases from JC Whitney [P/U truck catalog] & in 2006 they cost me ~$55 each + the free shipping [when JCW offers it!]. The bases were originally used by Ford in their 1979-1989 Econovans, & probably many other Detroit vans, and they aren't a true "bolt-in", but are easy enough to adapt to your RV's seat bottoms & the floor of the cab. All I used was some new [longer & stronger] attaching hardware, hack saw & file(s) & a piece of carpet to cover the vertical cylinder on the "new" swiveling pedestals.

When finished the swiveling seats look & perform as if OE. They also greatly increase the seating capacity of my RV when parked!
zooom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver