Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Tail drag solution? E-450

I have recently purchased a Nexus Viper 29V B+ MH on an E-450 chassis. This 30' Mh has a 208" wheelbase with a pretty long overhang. This causes a lot of dragging and scraping of therear hitch. I am looking for a air bag kit to stiffen up the ride but that would also allow me to raise the back of the MH (3"-4") for short periods of time to navigate dips, driveways, etc.

I have looked mainly at the Air Ride #5000 series with onboard compressor. In talking to Air Ride I was told that when my MH was sitting at normal ride height, inflating the Bags would not raised the rear of the MH. I have also talked to shops that install these things and they seem to think that it would. I am getting very confused.

I think I have seen some posts here that talks about this but I can't seem to find them. Does anyone have any info about this issue?
GARYMC74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm kind of in the same situation. I called Air Ride and was told the same thing. Seems the air bags only work within a certain range (whatever the specs say) I have firestone bags and went as far as to purchase 3 inch spacers on the hopes that it would give me a little more lift. After pumping my bags up to the max 100 psi I gained absolutely no clearance. I'm thinking some kind of suspension lift like blocks under the springs. But so far I'm not having any luck.
CbtEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #3

After going through the same situation, the only way I gained more rear height was by adding a leaf on each spring. It raised the rear 2 inches. Really made a difference getting in and out of my driveway.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #4

Gary I have air ride on a class A you might get 2 inches at most I see you are by me look in the ft worth phone book call Ray' Champion Spring they do big trucks they did my allignment maybe they can add a spring if you go with bags PM me ill help you put them on
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #5

Yup, true story. They just keep your rig level. Maybe 1" to 2" at most. They do what they are advertised to do. Reduce sag from weight added. Maybe you might want to add rollers on the rear.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
jpf

Gulf Streamers Club
assuming you have 225-75-16 tires on the back, you could put 235-85-16s on if it's getting close to tire change time.
yeah, I know that's crazy talk.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #7

Seems like the simplest solution would be to add skids or dolly wheels to the rear end. Even a single dolly wheel in the trailer hitch would likely solve it.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #8

Anybody still build a Class C with a tag axle?
Old 06-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Seems like the simplest solution would be to add skids or dolly wheels to the rear end. Even a single dolly wheel in the trailer hitch would likely solve it.
Once saw a guy backing into a gravel site with dolly wheels on the rear end, after the wheels sank in the soft gravel and his tires dug holes where they spun, he was stuck.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check with Air-Lift out of Lansing, MI. They make decent products at a decent price in a good location.

Now, think about this.. "When your RV is at it's normal ride height".

The problem you are having is that it is riding low. So what you wish to do is return it to normal.

Once funds present (If they ever present) I'm going with Air-Lift, I used their products on my last tow vehicle and was very pleased.

Contact Us | Air Lift Company - Tow and Haul with Safety and Comfort
Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #11

I have an air bag system on my 26' and I will get about 2" when fully inflated, which is the extra height I need to get up my ridiculously steep driveway!
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote