RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #1

Taking a class C to Europe

I have met several RVers over the years that ship their rv to USA and take a trip in US, Canada and some even go to alaska.

Has anyone taken a class C to Europe???

Do you need a special connector for electrical hook up?

Do you need special connectors for water hose or stinky slinky?

Do you need to register the vehicle or just get insurance in the EU?

I am assuming a Mercedes engine rv would be simpler to bring to EU.

Any issues I have not mentioned?

dandandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 09:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
I have met several RVers over the years that ship their rv to USA and take a trip in US, Canada and some even go to alaska.

Has anyone taken a class C to Europe???

Do you need a special connector for electrical hook up?

Do you need special connectors for water hose or stinky slinky?

Do you need to register the vehicle or just get insurance in the EU?

I am assuming a Mercedes engine rv would be simpler to bring to EU.

Any issues I have not mentioned?

so here's what I heard about the Insurance part. Insurance for full (comprehensive) insurance the cost is approx $10,500 for 6 months which means ~$21,000/year in insurance to RV with in Europe.

Now the juicy part, lol. An ~25 ft Leisure Van for shipping, I heard was quoted a around $3000. But when you incl. marine insurance & documents it'll run you around $5,700.

I read this on another website, which I lost (don't remember). DO NOT ship to Germany because they require you to post a bond equal to 29% of the value of the vehicle, in cash, before they will release the vehicle, which is only returned to you when you leave Europe within 6 mo of arrival. Other European ports do not have this restriction.

Voltage Differences Ė Europe operates on 230V whereas US operates on 110V so if you try to plug your US-based RV directly into a European pedestal it will burn out all your electrics! Install a step-down transformer.
get yourself an international Drivers Permit at AAA for $22.
Oh yeah, in the US we go by gallons, in Europe they use liters. My $3 a gallon of Diesel would cost me 7-10 over there in europe. When I lived in Euorpe Diesel was always cheaper than "Normal Gas," which they call Benzin in Germany or Benzina in Italy.
Why not just Rent an RV when you're over there? Much easier.

RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
Why not just Rent an RV when you're over there? Much easier.

Trying to figure out if shipping from USA, buying in EU, or renting in EU makes most sense.

The insurance seems ridiculous
dandandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #4

Lived a few years in Germany and did travel throughout Europe. I saw 1 maybe 2 Class Cís (parked). I saw Class Bs on the roads/highways. I realize RV insurance is different but my car insurance was equivalent to what i would pay in Ca, we went thru an insurance company that specialized in US personnel (Geico was one cannot remember the other companies we used). Driving in Germany, Iím sure the autobahn would be fine but you would probably have height and weight issues off the freeways. European roads are not RV friendly, they are narrow. Many times in small towns or city side roads, I found if 2 cars were parked across from each other on the side of the road there was only enough space for 1 car at a time to pass between at a time. Also trucks were not allowed on the autobahns on Sundayís unless they were carrying perishable produce. Gas is expensive and sold by the liter, so 4 liters per gallon. The Europeans are big on camping but I do not remember seeing any RV parks. Electrical plugs are different and would require adapters, I am not sure how your rv electronics would react to 220~230v 50hz. We had most of our home electronics plugged in to transformers. TV signals are different so your US tv would not get European channels unless itís PAL compatible. ADAC is the German equivalent to AAA. It would be great to travel around in a class C but I think you will run into a lot of problems, rent a European rv/car or travel around using the trains.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
Voltage Differences Ė Europe operates on 230V whereas US operates on 110V so if you try to plug your US-based RV directly into a European pedestal it will burn out all your electrics! Install a step-down transformer.
It's not just voltage, frequency is different as well (50 Hz Vs 60 Hz) so anything that has a motor in it will not be happy at 50 Hz, like your Air Conditioner.
tfryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #6

There was someone who had a blog, travels with Rover. They shipped a born free from the port of Baltimore to the Netherlands. They left it there for several years and would travel during the summers. You might be able to dig up the blog.
goldbehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #7

I sent a VW camper over years ago and left it there at a friend dealership, I used it for many trips and kept the USA plates on it ,

but you can rent just as large motorhomes as you want to ship in europe ,
so check into that , much easier

I got insurance thru AAA , the main office was in Florida ,
the Propane connection was not the same , but they did find an adapter to convert the sizes , I would buy an adapter if I was there a long time ,
As said above Euro voltage is 220 V 50Htz ,

Also most campgrounds are not open in the late fall / winter , its too cold anyway so head south , but there are autobahn rest stops where you can stay overnight with the truckers ! and many have showers and resturaunts .

And yes if you do not ship it out of the EU , you will need to pay the VAT and taxes which are HIGH , so plan on bringing it back to the USA and discounting it for the new buyer .

Also there are many big German cities where you are not allowed to drive into the city center with an old car , so plan on parking on the outskirts and using the train or your pushbike to go to the store ,

Its good fun , really not that expensive if you live like the locals except for the fuel costs.

have fun

trackvw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c