Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #15
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I also experienced poor service from good Sam Lost all oil pressure on tow vehicle , called good sam, spend most of 45 minutes trying to convince her that we were Idaho not Iowa even after giving her a local zip code. lost connection no call back. Called good Sam again different operator found us right away, but did not know were to tow us, closest dodge dealer was closed so did not have access to a secure area or place to leave key. Next town the other way did not have a dodge dealership. This was a Sunday afternoon. After almost another hour no tow truck in route still no good place to take us. I called a tow service in my home town with a dodge dealer ship they said they could come sight away, good sam would not authorize! 2 1/2 hours, no tow sitting one foot off busy two lane road about to loose daylight! told her we had to do something!!
I called tow service in my home town 132 miles away to get truck said he could not tow both that distance! Called a good friend to tow trailer. got off road just at dark did not get in till after midnight.
Good sam after 6 weeks many calls and sending in form twice, faxing in once they paid 461 dollars of a 899 dollar tow bill no reimbursement for gas for friends truck to pull travel trailer. Good Sam says they will to rv and tow vehicle.
After paying for this service for years and getting let down, I don't feel confidence or secure having there service. I will save my money pay for services I need and have control of were and how I will be towed

Mtn Dave
2014 timberidge 250 RDS
2015 RAM 2500 6.4 HEMI
Mtn Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #16
Leprechaun DS319 had a blowout and we called GS to come out and put on the spare near Glen Rose TX. Took GS about 20 minutes to locate a serviceman in that area; 1.75hr total delay, but at no charge. Beck's Tire Service in Granbury TX did the work and 69 yr old, wife, and dog were all grateful. Wouldn't travel without a spare...

dymnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #17
Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
AAA towing

I have AAA and have had good service and Bad. I have 31 foot class A that hod NO brakes when we started home. Iam a premiere so get 200 miles of towing. When it arrived home they had messed up the transmission. the towing co. is fixing itwe will see.
ryegal, tip your glass
Ryegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:22 PM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
On our recent trip to Colorado (approx. 2k miles roundtrip) we had the opportunity to use GSRA on two separate occasions and on two different coaches. The first incident was in Dumas, Texas and involved a misfire condition on my friend's '96 Safari with a Cat C7. We limped in to the WalMart about 5pm and made the call. He requested to be towed to an authorized Cat dealer, the closest of which was Amarillo, Texas. GSRA agreed but advised it would be 7am the next morning before a tow truck would respond. He spent the nite @ Wal Mart, the tow truck showed up on time, Holt Cat in Amarillo diagnosed the #4 injector wiring to be the problem & stayed late to repair it. Lost 1 day of the trip total and all was well. GSRA paid the total towing bill ($750 IIRC) and the trip was saved.

The second problem occurred on my coach on the way home. At a rest stop 40 miles E of Raton, New Mexico I discovered a tire problem. Called GSRA and was very pleased with their response and attempt to help. Although they could not find my tire, 295-80-22.5 within their service range they offered alternate service providers contact information. We contacted M&M tire out of Durango, Colorado who had a tire in stock and had us back on the road within 5 hours after the initial call was placed. GSRA reimbursed the road call, mileage charge, and Saturday/after hours charge which equaled about $320. I paid $500 for the tire, $45 to dismount/mount the new tire and re-install the wheel assembly, plus the sales tax. I was happy... and GSRA received 2 thumbs up! I had purchased GSRA two weeks earlier after my friend had his issue! First roadside assistance plan I have ever owned and the $59 investment paid off for us in a very short period of time. This was our experience and yours certainly may vary! Be safe, have fun, and enjoy your travels!
'98 Signature 42' Classic Suite purchased July 2000
Toads: (4 down) Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy 2500HD 4x4, or Scout Terra
Trailers: 28' HRC Stacker, 24' Look; contents vary per trip
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #19
People like or dislike the roadside assistance providers for various reasons. Some cite legitimate gripes, while others like the OP of this thread, who is probably long gone, after making his one post on this forum, a month or so ago, have totally ridiculous reasons for their dissatisfaction.
These MHs have four wheels on the back for a reason. To expect a tow truck driver to tow a MH with only one inflated tire on each side is totally absurd. You're taking the normal weight that sits on the rear axle (which in many cases is pushing the limits for four tires) and lifting the front up in the air and adding who knows how much weight to the two remaining good rear tires. If they don't get a blow out , you will have pretty much destroyed them anyway by subjecting them to all that extra weight.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #20
Good Sam Roadside Assistance

I, too, had the unfortunate experience of two flats on the right rear due to faulty valve stems leaking. My tires had only 10,000 miles on them and were 14 months old. I blame my installer for not replacing the valve stems, but that's another story.
We spent five hours waiting for help to bring us tires. I did not have a choice of tires, had to take what was offered. While the Goodyear tires were overpriced it was only $12.00 per tire over msrp. I can live with that. Chalk it up to being an "emergency". That's what the Good Sam girl said when I questioned the price. So, I paid $450 each for Goodyear 949s. My class C is a 29' Itasca. So, $900 bucks for tires. My total bill was $1127.00.
So my question is, if Good Sam paid for some stuff, who got the other $227 and what was it for? They only had to come 14 miles to help me.
I will be looking for other assistance in the future.
Marc, the goldwingman
2005 Itasca Spirit 29B
2005 Honda Goldwing
goldwingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:53 AM   #21
I am in Canada and had to use my Good Sam road side assistance for the first time last week. It wasn't for my RV but for my daily driver. From the time I contacted them to the time the tow truck showed up it was about 40 minutes. Towed my vehicle to the dealership and no charge. I thought that was pretty good, even received a follow up phone call.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:25 PM   #22
I have to wonder if you had valve stem extenders on rubber valve stems. That's a no no. I had a similar issue while sitting in a campground just outside of Texas. Flat inside tire on the left rear. Called GS and a Firestone tire repair truck showed up about an hour later. He pulled the duallys and showed me the cracked valve stem.

He said it was a result of metal extenders on rubber stems. The movement of the tires on the road was flexing the rubber stems and one finally split. He replaced the stem with a steel one he had and while the tires were off he also replaced the outside rubber stem with a steel valve stem. At my request he removed the right rear tires and replaced both with steel stems. Took him about an hour and I was relieved to know I wouldn't have that problem again.

I was cooking chicken on the grill while he worked and when he finished he only charged me for $15 for the first 2 valve stems nothing for the right side. I gave him $50 and a piece of chicken for the road.

Like anything it often depends on who you get... Never use extenders on rubber stems. Actually I never use anything but steel stems now..
SoFloRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #23
Originally Posted by jgeidl View Post

Well, I just had a very unpleasant interaction with Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I have had this service for 3 years but this is the first time I have had to use them.

I discovered that both of my outside duel tires in back were flat. I attempted to inflate one them but the valve stem was what was leaking and I assume that is what is wrong with the other one. I called Good Sam fully expecting that they would tow the rig in and have the tires repaired. NOPE. Because it was one tire on each side they wouldn't tow it. They wouldn't repair it, period. Their only solution was for me to buy two new tires from them! I was talking with a supervisor, too.

Wanna bet I don't continue using them for road side assistance?

Hope you folks can learn from my experience.

Got a call from Good Sam. After submitting my receipt and a dissertation about what all happened they upgraded my present membership to Premier at no charge for the balance of the year and sent me a check for the money I paid to Les Schwab for the tire repairs in about 2 weeks.

Bitching and complaining helps.

jgeidl is offline   Reply With Quote