Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The "Just Right?" Class C

So, we just sold our 40' class A - a buyer just happened to make an offer, and we accepted.

Puts me back to looking for another RV, let me describe what we do.

We use our RV to go to a lot of trade shows as an exhibitor. Something in the 20k to 30k miles per year range.

Our show gear consists of probably 5 full size rubber maid containers, a few medium size cardboard boxes, two 6 foot long peg boards with bases, a fold up directors chair, few other odds and ends.

Normally, we leave most of the stuff in Subie (our outback). The pegboards stay back there, and items that are not heat sensitive. Our inventory (two or our rubber maids + cardboard boxes) must always be relatively climate controlled.

In our class A, if it was winter time, we would put the inventory in basement, if it was dog hot summer down south, we would place it in the back closet (although the engine back there made it pretty warm )

Here's what we didn't like about our class A
1) Expensive to throw parts at - seemed like repairs where a guessing game of darts, blindfolded, in a blizzard.
2) At 40', just the two of us and two small dogs - we found it to just be too big. We had empty bays, empty drawers - we love state parks but found out the hard way that this can be a problem. We never ever hardly ever used the dinette.
3) Parking lots, tight lanes, some of the places we are forced to go... it's big. To give you an idea, my wife drove this thing right into the heart of Jersey City - while I covered my eyes :roll eyes:

However, I do want another RV.

We don't have kids, but are about to. We also want to move our SB location - so not spending every dime we have saved is a smart idea.

Got me to thinking about class C's and I might could the "just right" c.

Capable of towing the full car. If it has bank beds, a lot of our show gear could fit in there. If it has an overhead bunk - bonus storage - but still moldable to having kids down the road.

Other thought is, get something now, that works for us now - and when kids are old enough, sell and rebuy something else.

So then, what is that perfect blend between affordable, storage, "campability", nice driving, decent mileage, decent enough layout to spend 4 to 6 months in a year in, decent towing capacity.

I personally love the Benz sprinters, but I can't see a way to work out the storage (or kids later.. but that's later, i could swap RV's down the road)

What does this leave me with? A minnie winnie? A greyhawk? Forest river something or another?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #2

I'd looking in the 30 ft range for a C. Should still tow the Subie and will have the overhead for storage along with enough room to move around and store your stuff plus merchandise. There is a lot to be said about getting a bunkhouse and taking out the bunks to get work space. I noticed some units put in a couch instead. I'd be thinking desk. I'd also consider pulling out a dinette in favor of a table and chairs. Units much under 30 ft usually have something like the furnace stuck under one bench precluding that change. Adding kids to the mix will not be an immediate problem. Down the road you will be looking at something else anyway.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #3

We just went the opposite way.. for the opposite reasons. Kids are grown and gone, so we don't need the extra bed space. We LOVED our class c (24 ft) and towed my 7k lb boat just fine. The only "downside" is that the V10 ford in the class c is something like 325 hp and the same motor in a class A is about 360 hp. There were a few grades I could have used a little more motor.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We had a 26' Tioga "C" party coach (no bedroom) that towed our boat to the lake for about 3 years, great camper. We then upgraded to a 31' Thor "C" which only lasted about 2 years. We wanted more storage and more power to tow a jeep with. So, we found our current 2005 National Dolphin with the Workhorse 8.1L engine coupled to the Allison tranny. Ours is a model 5320, which is under 33' in length. The 22.5 tires make for a much better ride than the class C's, and the basement storage is ample. All the power we need, and the grade brake helps out in the mountains where we live. MPG is less than the C's, but not by much. Our Jack Russell's are much happier, too. We live in it for about 3-4 months at a time, leaving the house and the winters in Colorado for warmer weather.

We recently looked at the Sprinters, wifey thought she would like to drive one better than the Dolphin. We sat in it for a few minutes, then looked at each other and said "not". No disrespect meant towards the Sprinters, just not for us. We then looked at quite a few of the class-B and B-Plus moho's, but realized we simply like our Dolphin.

Good luck with your search. We have followed your posts before, and know how much you will take in before making a choice. Once you guys start having kids, you can never save enough for college. We have 2, both are finally done with college and on their own. We asked them which moho was there favorite, and they both agreed it was the party coach! They liked all sleeping in the same area, and enjoyed the trips to the lakes and mountains. Thank the Lord for scholarships!

Bruce and Judy
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

What about a super C like the jayco seneca or a Nexus? Maybe a slightly used one would have good storage and towing capacity and be a good size and diesel power like your last Rv had. We are a few ways away from our next one , but a super C really has my interest. Good luck!
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #6

We have Sunseeker 3170 and think it is great. Highly recommend it.
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
So, we just sold our 40' class A - a buyer just happened to make an offer, and we accepted.

Puts me back to looking for another RV, let me describe what we do.

We use our RV to go to a lot of trade shows as an exhibitor. Something in the 20k to 30k miles per year range.

Our show gear consists of probably 5 full size rubber maid containers, a few medium size cardboard boxes, two 6 foot long peg boards with bases, a fold up directors chair, few other odds and ends.

Normally, we leave most of the stuff in Subie (our outback). The pegboards stay back there, and items that are not heat sensitive. Our inventory (two or our rubber maids + cardboard boxes) must always be relatively climate controlled.

In our class A, if it was winter time, we would put the inventory in basement, if it was dog hot summer down south, we would place it in the back closet (although the engine back there made it pretty warm )

Here's what we didn't like about our class A
1) Expensive to throw parts at - seemed like repairs where a guessing game of darts, blindfolded, in a blizzard.
2) At 40', just the two of us and two small dogs - we found it to just be too big. We had empty bays, empty drawers - we love state parks but found out the hard way that this can be a problem. We never ever hardly ever used the dinette.
3) Parking lots, tight lanes, some of the places we are forced to go... it's big. To give you an idea, my wife drove this thing right into the heart of Jersey City - while I covered my eyes :roll eyes:

However, I do want another RV.

We don't have kids, but are about to. We also want to move our SB location - so not spending every dime we have saved is a smart idea.

Capable of towing the full car. If it has bank beds, a lot of our show gear could fit in there. If it has an overhead bunk - bonus storage - but still moldable to having kids down the road.

Other thought is, get something now, that works for us now - and when kids are old enough, sell and rebuy something else.

So then, what is that perfect blend between affordable, storage, "campability", nice driving, decent mileage, decent enough layout to spend 4 to 6 months in a year in, decent towing capacity.

I personally love the Benz sprinters, but I can't see a way to work out the storage (or kids later.. but that's later, i could swap RV's down the road)

What does this leave me with? A minnie winnie? A greyhawk? Forest river something or another?
Plasma..
Been following your journey for some time on this list.. Congratulations on selling your coach..
Good luck on your search.. Big change on moving to a "C".. One of the C+'s based on a medium truck may give you the towing you need.. And the storage you need..
Good luck.. I will be living Vicariously with your decisions..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #8

On the Sprinter side, don't forget that Winebago makes a 25' Class A on the Sprinter platform that can give you a bit more room than the Sprinter-C's and I would think be able to tow your Subie...

Steve
Old 02-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
The "Just Right?" Class C

Most folks prefer a slide, but we seriously considered a 29 foot (30 actual) Class C with a rear bedroom and no slide. Plenty of net cargo carrying weight capacity in the configs we looked at due to weight savings of no slide. Some can sleep up to 10 if it has rear bunks or 8 with the queen walk around bed. Thus, kid ready. It appears that most stopped making this model in 2007 or so with a few exceptions. We looked at Sunseeker/Forester and Tioga/Jamboree. The advantage of the forest river products over Fleetwood was composite walls instead of luan and fiberglass roofs instead of rubber.

We also looked at Bigfoot who happens to have a class c with a rear ATV garage under the master bed that would fit the items you describe. The problem was that not much cargo carrying capacity was left.

There is one notable exception out there that still makes very good class C's that have no slide and are built in California to last: Lazy Daze.

The only reason we settled on the B we are in now is due to a family member needing us to have a rig for day trips that can also park in a handicapped spot. That limited us to 21 feet. I also like a true fiberglass or metal sided rig with real cabinetry like our Chinook, Born Free or LazyDaze rather than the luan/paneling sandwich.

If I was buying new and have the $ to spend, Born Free or Lazy Daze would be at the top of my list. There are some great deals on gently used out there as well.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #10

Does your trade show camping usually have hookups?. If not, the greater tank capacities of a small class A, or Super C, might better suit your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
...We use our RV to go to a lot of trade shows as an exhibitor. Something in the 20k to 30k miles per year range....

....Capable of towing the full car. If it has bank beds, a lot of our show gear could fit in there. If it has an overhead bunk - bonus storage - but still moldable to having kids down the road.

....What does this leave me with? A minnie winnie? A greyhawk? Forest river something or another?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #11

On Class C's, the rear ATV basement storage of the Big Foot was my first thought. I 'think' most LazyDaze and Born Frees would limit you on the basement storage.

I personally like the smaller Class A's, and the National is a great bang for the buck, with solid builds. But lots of gasser Class A's with either the Workhorse and 8.1, or look for the F53 with at least the 5 spd auto (think this was around 2005). Other brands I like are Trippel E (good insulation and build), Rexhall (good steel cage for added safety, and some unique layouts), Mountain Aire.

Again as mentioned, lots of others to choose from too. A 32-34' would give you enough room for comfort, and dogs, some basement storage, room for future kids, as mentioned larger tanks, and small enough for good access to many spots...

You have researched RV's before, so you no the Pro and Con between Class C and smaller Class A's... For me, it was the advantage of the higher driving sitting position and large panoramic view of the Class A's - that make them more attractive to our style of traveling. I feel the costs of ownership between Class C's and gasser Class A's are a wash.

Best of luck to you on your new search. Knowing you from other posts, you do your homework well!!

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah normally we stay at a park near by, and use subie to cart our show gear to the exposition center. Or if we can, we will pull through the expo center, unload, then head to a park nearby. There have been a couple of occasions where we have actually book docked behind the expo center or large hotel, and one that actually had at least electricity and water on site.

Whatever I get next, I would like to pay cash and be done with it - that limits me to the 50k to 75k range.

I've also spent some time thinking about buying a diesel pickup and going toy hauler or something.

I must admit, I miss my RV
Old 02-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Also, I would certainly think about the smaller class A's
Old 02-07-2015, 12:28 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What about a FunMover or Outlaw tons of storage w the garage plus bed space when kids come along and you can find good deals used in your price range. Dog show people put high miles on their rigs and the Fun Mover has been super popular and reliable plus should easily handle your toad.

Tags
class c