Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #29

Now for the good points... After using the new rig for a while, here are some great points,

First off, love the interior finishes for 2017. The Maple really helps brighten things up since there are no windows on the awning side. Overall woods and workmanship quality is above expectations.

The rig drives so smooth and little rattles and squeaks. Hoping the sudden was just road conditions...

The bathroom design makes for spaciousness and tons of storage. The towel rack and shelves are noticeable attention to detail.

Kitchen layout is quite simply, perfect for this size rig. A
Though the water filtration system is a great upgrade, it's a pain to access.
Love the drawer and cupboard space. Great change to pantry.

The bunk under storage is a handy upgrade but the cushion could be thicker...ouch on comfort but great on space.

The TVs are crystal clear and have all the inputs needed for multi-uses. Nice size DVD. Make sure you have dealer run 2nd HDMI to outside TV, a must!

Fridge is bigger than my Domectic on my A class. A pleasant surprise !

Bluetooth centre in garage and outdoor speakers are awesome.

Door to Deck setup is a breeze in 20 seconds. Using the d-ring setup to tie down the motorcycles was easy. But you absolutely should have wheel chocks. Ours simply sit on a Walmart rubber mat and works like a charm. Having the 2 coaches makes for plenty of entertainment space and king size sleeping.

Awning is huge and the new concept of simply grabbing and lowering is ideal but so far not working right.

AC seems to be vented good and so far no need to put on Garage AC as the coach does both spaces easily here on the coast.

No electric step....yeah!

Great double sink , although the covers should be available for adding counter space.

Great LED lights inside and out!

Handy Rapid Camp but not sure I'd use it often.

Good levelling system but manual works best.

Great pet friendly rig.

Hope this is helpful!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2017 Thor Outlaw 29H
2016 Yamaha XSR-900
2015 Jeep JK

Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Congrats! We did the same memory foam ideal and it does work great! Great ideas MrZip and I am going to try to add them for better sound from my tv's too.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #31

Yep, memory foam was a good idea . !!

Just returned today from a Ford Fleet Service Centre to check the underneath for the creaking sound and shudder when towing Jeep. I should mention that this is a top rated service centre on trucks , vans and Ford chassises.

Apparently they are saying that the modifications made by Thor are the cause and items are not warranted by Ford. Firstly, the shudder and creaking seem to be from the extended ( and shimmed) drive shaft' s angle when loaded. They say the chassis is already over loaded before adding any cargo or toad. So when loaded, it changes the angle of the driveshaft causing the sound and shake....???

They also said that Thor should have increased the leaf springs as they are over extended and almost bowed in the wrong direction.....another???

Another rattle comes from a modified heat shield around the exhaust which they say non of which is warranted by Ford because of the changes. ????

Although nothing is broken the techs said as long as we keep the weight to a minimum we should only have to deal with early deterioration of U joints . But this is why I want the Outlaw, for the 8000lb tow hitch and 1500 lb garage capacity. Tech says, really, pick one. Either toad or garage.

Anyone? Over cautious tech or make sense? I'm sure this is not an issue with the F53 Class A version.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:04 PM   #32
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Online_17,

See:
2017 E-Series Cutaway | Explore Available Packages for E-350 & E-450 Models | Ford.com
And
https://thormotorcoach.com/outlaw/class-c/specs/

Sheesh...The mechanic is a jerk...

The E450's numbers (Fords stripped cab/chassis and Thor's finished weight listings) match and are:
GVWR is 14,500lb
GCWR is 22,000lb.

So, even if the RV is at fully loaded GVWR (fully loaded garage) there is still 7,500 lb capacity on the hitch.

About the chassis prep...MorRyde modifies the chassis...not Thor. MorRyde is a Ford certified chassis modifier.
See: http://www.morryde.com/division/chassis-division

I would talk to the dealer service manager about what you were told. If true, this would mean that the mechanics employer is lying to the public.
Nah, I believe Ford and Thor over the mechanic.

About the driveshaft...MorRyde states that they balance the driveshaft as one assembly after the framing mods...including the center mount. This is something many RV Frame makers cannot do.

BTW, The Class A Outlaw has a 26,000lb GVWR and only 30,000lb GCWR...so to access the full 8,000lb hitch capacity, the owner has to pack kinda' light.

Safe Outlaw Travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #33

Very good information on the chassis. I have not had a bit of problem with any noise from the drive shaft or any handling problems. I'm usually fully loaded with 2 motorcycles (900 lbs) and flat tow a Jeep Wrangler. I have not done any modifications such as adding air suspension or extra torsion bars. So far it doesn't seem like I need to.
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #34

Good to know. Kinda what I said to the mechanic....Thor has been in the motorhome business for a while so they should know what they are doing.

He agreed but then showed me the leaf springs. I then checked a E450 cube van parked beside it. Definitely could see why he would be concerned.

I have 2 motorcycles (850 lbs) in the garage and flat towing a 2 door Jeep Wrangler...when I pulled away from a stop; between 10- and 15mph, the rig creaked ( sorta the sound tow trailers make when they go by) and the whole rig shudders ( lightly, but definitely noticeable) Smooths out past 15 mph and doesn't return until pulling away again at that speed. Maybe this is normal but I asked Thor rep when I got my courtesy call and he said, not suppose to do that and to go to Ford. Ford says , nothing they can do ? Errr

Hoping it's just normal creaking and shaking.

My class A never did this. Maybe it's a Class C thing.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #35
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
Good to know. Kinda what I said to the mechanic....
He agreed but then showed me the leaf springs. I then checked a E450 cube van parked beside it. Definitely could see why he would be concerned.
Hoping it's just normal creaking and shaking.

My class A never did this. Maybe it's a Class C thing.
The Cube Van was unloaded - right? No way to compare. And the Cube Van will ride like a buck-board until loaded.

The loaded to unloaded spring recoil is the BIG difference between airbag and spring suspensions and is normal.

The creaking should be investigated. Our ol' Class C did not creak...except where the cab and the house front wall connected. We were told that was normal to allow flex and it had a triple weather seal.

Maybe you could let someone else drive while you poke-around the interior to locate the noise(?).

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #36

Yup; gotta have tow capacity!

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1472670448.258435.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1472670479.243306.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  92.1 KB
Old 08-31-2016, 05:27 PM   #37
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Awesome photos Online_17!!!

Safe Outlaw Travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Turnone, yes please post pic's of your mods. Sounds like great ideas keep them coming.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #39

I have 2016 29H, love it. I put a 6" tube in back door drivers side angling down to license plate holder. I'm able to store a 10' section with 90 degree sewer connection.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #40

Tvs not cable ready

It seems the 29H is set up for satellite only, no cable tuners. Any suggestions?
Old 09-10-2016, 06:26 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Russellsbats, can you post a pic of the tube you installed?
Old 09-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellsbats View Post
It seems the 29H is set up for satellite only, no cable tuners. Any suggestions?

Thor told me that to but after hooking my Sat Dish into the outside receptical, I did not receive the signal inside to my receiver, so I added a Diplexer and ran a HDMI cable to my outside TV. So now I connect my Sat dish to the outside connection and get Sat Signal to my bunk and outside tv. For my garage tv, it's connected to an Xbox.

Not sure if this was the right way but works!