Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #1

Thinking about trading in on an Outlaw29H

Anyone go from a Class A motor home to a Outlaw 29h? Regrets?

Oh can anyone comment...

No roof ladder?
Can 2 naked street bikes fit in back?
Are they satellite ready?
Inverter pure sign? Strong enough?
Going from a bed to a garage or loft a big sacrifice ?

Just can't swing a Class A outlaw so ...

All feedback appreciated!
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 12:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We didn't do the A to C move...We had a C then went to a BIG TT, then the A - Outlaw.

But we know the 29H very well and wish it had been made back before we had the other RV's...would have been wonderful

The 29H is A LOT of RV in a small'ish pack, built on the venerable E450...like every other big Class C on the market. The cab-over bunk (54"x74") is very good for adults. The (optional) garage bench/bunks are very large too. Then there's the dinette for another large (54"x68") bed.

No roof ladder, no. No Outlaw has a ladder because of the rear ramp. All who want one, carry a folding ladder in the garage. They are stronger and safer than those built-on ones.

The garage is 8'wide x 9' deep and 1,500lb capacity...no problem, even for 2 dressers. And don't forget the ramp is set-up to be a safe and steady patio deck when open.

SAT ready, yes. But not for a Trav'ler or any antenna that requires a data cord. It is a coaxial cable preinstalled into the roof that runs to the entertainment console. And, no big deal for the top-of-the-line antennae because many installers will not use OEM cables and install with new cables.

The standard inverter is a Xantrex 1000W Modified Sine Wave. If you want PSW and/or bigger, it is an easy swap.

And, what you might not know is that the standard "HD Max" exterior is colored gelcoat within fiberglass...no decals to fail

Having said all that...why not consider a nice used Damon Class A Outlaw (2007-2009) or early Thor Outlaw's (2010 - present). Used units that are in good shape are available starting in the high $50 range.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the great info!

Let's hear from some owners too?
Old 07-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 is SO big, some threads do not get seen unless you seek out the audience you want. Owners congregate here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/i-lo...aw-102560.html

And this list could give you names to PM an owner:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/list...rs-280110.html

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
iRV2 is SO big, some threads do not get seen unless you seek out the audience you want. Owners congregate here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/i-lo...aw-102560.html

And this list could give you names to PM an owner:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/list...rs-280110.html

Best luck

Perfect!! Thanks again !
Old 07-17-2016, 07:01 AM   #6

I am getting ready to do deal and I notice the black and grey tank area is fully open. No bay. No cubby . Not even a shelf. Wondering where you would stow the slinky, and cleaning connections ? Seems like a huge over-sight by Thor! (Unless I'm missing something ?)

Anyone have insight?
Old 07-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #7

We went from a 38' diesel pusher to a Class B Winnebago ERA (Sprinter 24' van). After a couple of years, we decided that spending 2-3 months in a Class B, especially one Winter in Texas where it was cold and rainy, that the ERA was just too small. We sold the ERA, didn't want to spend another $200k +, so we bought a 33' Wildcat MAXX TT and have been very pleased with our choice!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
I am getting ready to do deal and I notice the black and grey tank area is fully open. No bay. No cubby . Not even a shelf. Wondering where you would stow the slinky, and cleaning connections ? Seems like a huge over-sight by Thor! (Unless I'm missing something ?)

Anyone have insight?
In our experience, most Class C's have the tanks open to the ground, like most towable RVs.

For Class A terms, the equipment you would place in a wet bay is just stored in one of the storage bins. In our old Class C, we used a plastic bin from Wal*Mart to keep the stinky slinky and associated bits away from everthing else in the bin.

This is one of the differences between the typical "house" in a Class A's and C's. The "risers" between the chassis frame and the RV floor are very short making little room for bins and no room for pass-throughs.

This would usually never be an issue, unless camping in very cold climates...to which you would want to ensure the dealer has ordered the optional tank heater pads...see:
https://thormotorcoach.com/outlaw/class-c/features/
These can be added in the aftermarket if needed.

A slick modification is to add a plastic pipe or hollow fence post with caps, somewhere under the RV to hold the dump hose.

The one thing the TMC puts standard on many Class C's that is optional on other brands is hydraulic leveling get jacks (no tire ramps ). That's a big deal to us.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-25-2016, 08:04 AM   #9

Took the Plunge. Transaction complete. Tested it out over the weekend. Just some awning issues to report. The "Grab and Forget" on 1 side not sticking and the toggle button is defective. Not only wired opposite to instructions, it sticks in one position so the awning motor is almost burned out. Wont retract with out assistance. Back to the dealer when parts arrive.

Having never owned a Class C before, I got to say, why would anyone want to drive a Cass A Gaser? What an amazing difference in ride. So smooth and easy to control. No white knuckling at all. A easy trade off to losing the basement storage. Less stress getting to my destination means, a better vacation!

The quality of the materials and components used are far superior to Forest River's. (at least in my FR3) Inside has plenty of room and lack of basement storage was made up with all the extra cupboards in the garage.

First night we tried the Bunk above the Cab, No way! Not enough cushion at all and cant imagine attempting that ladder in the middle of the night after a beer or two .
Then we tried the "king-size" converted coach in the garage.....perfect! No need to try the sofa. Super comfy and doesn't feel like a garage at all when setup.

First big trip this coming weekend, (3 weeks) so will get the full rundown by then. So far, very pleased!

I'll post a pic or two....
Old 07-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_2016-07-22 15.51.51_1024.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	134139

Name:	thumb_Photo 2016-07-23, 5 32 14 PM_1024.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	134140

Name:	thumb_Photo 2016-07-23, 5 32 46 PM_1024.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	134141
Old 07-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CONGRATS...and thanks for the update.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #12

Congratulations on the 29h. We bought ours in 2015, and Thor has updated the 2017 from our model. We added Dish satellite to our 29h with tailgater antenna. We installed two receivers both front and rear so I can watch ESPN on the main and my wife can watch Hallmark in the bedroom. I also ran a HD cable to the outside TV so I can watch games on that TV weather permitting. I also added Blue Ray players both front and back and run the main TV through the aux radio control so I can take full advantage of the coach speakers. You'll notice your garage has a blue tooth radio and receiver installed in the wall. Be sure and Bluetooth your phone to the receiver, that way can play a music play list from your device or even play UTube songs through your rear and outside speakers. There is a switch on the receiver that will turn off the inside speakers if you just want the outside ones to play. I also ran audio from my blue ray player to the aux in on the rear receiver so if I want to watch a good sound effect movie like Top gun on the outside TV I can get audio to the outside speakers. I have a switch I purchased for the rear components that will switch my signal from satellite to blue ray when I want to watch a movie outside, otherwise you can run 2 HD cables to the outside TV and switch with the remote.

I think Thor may have made some updates to the electronics so you might not have to run all the cable I had did. Also if you have a crank up antenna on your unit, get ride of it and get a High Def digital antenna. (No more cranking and it comes with a signal meter)

A couple of other things, I don't like the rubber floor in the cab, and there is a custom made one piece carpeted floor mat (avail from thor) that fits perfectly. Much nicer on my feet. We also had the bug screen installed in the rear (which I think is already included in your model)

Now the 29h is a little tight when you have 2 bikes in the rear, especially when the weather is bad. So you may have to use the bed above the cab, We bought a piece of memory foam which fit perfectly up there. Once you fix it up with sheets and comforter it works well.

Enjoy your 29h, we already got 14,000 miles on ours!
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very nice, congratulations
Old 07-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #14

Thanks Mr Zip, great info!!!