Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #1

Thinking of a Class C

My wife (DW) has just decided that perhaps a motor home would better suit our needs for a number of reasons.

So, as of today I have started a search for a class C. Do not want one that is too large so I am looking in the 26 foot range, give or take a foot. There are so many manufacturers out there I am wondering how one starts deciding which are quality vs. entry level. I saw on another post that Winnebago builds reasonably good units. Neighbors have a Mini-Winne and are happy with it.

I found an ad for a Phoenix Usa Cruiser 2350 which in pictures looks good to me. Anyone have any opinions on this unit? How about a source for evaluating build quality by manufacturer. Am I asking for too much?
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
We own a Triple GT 27 with one slide out.
Here are the specs.

Triple E Recreational Vehicles - Regency GT - Standard & Optional Features
Paoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #3

Are you going new or used. That will determine alot and allow more people to weigh in. Because if going used it's more about condition then quality. A quality unit can be trashed and a used unit could have been babied. Also $$$ range would help. My best advise is to go look at floor plans and find the one that suits you best and go from there.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #4

you may not have to worry about this as much as we do up north in Ohio/Michigan but take a look underneath also. The most rusted (even a few years old) were on the class C's. Not sure if it is the materials used or what, but I see a lot more them in poor condition under the chassis compared to even older class A's. There are even very small class A's out there. For the length you may get more usable inside space.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #5

The search goes on

Thanks for the info. Things to think about for sure.

We would be looking for previously owned, probably between 3 and 10 years old. I agree condition is a top priority but some units hold up better than others because of stronger materials and in general better construction.

When looking for a previously owned fifth wheel I was amazed at how some people treated an often expensive purchase. And the ones in the worst shape were often on a dealer's lot. I actually feel more comfortable dealing with an individual vs. a dealer, having had some not wonderful experiences with dealers.

As to price range, looking at what is on RVtrader.com I have seen quite a few very nice looking rigs under $50,000. All class "C" so far. My target is $35,000 or less but can be flexible depending on condition, milage, features, and extras.

I will be looking in CA, NV, AZ, UT, and maybe OR and WA. For some reason I get the feeling that RV's in OR are priced noticeably higher than similar units in other states. At least at dealers.

And yes, looking on line is not the same as walking through the actual unit. I have started a list of must have's given how we plan to travel. Room for two medium sized dogs is one.

Would like a diesel but the Sprinter based units are not only pricey but the floor plans I have seen so far do not fit what we would like. And other diesels are larger than what I would feel comfortable driving on the blue roads to smaller campgrounds.

An lastly, will take the advice to look at smaller class "A" just to see how they compare.

English Shepherds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020222_2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	487.9 KB
ID:	38735  
Old 05-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #6

if i were you i would also ck out class A's in your size range if i had it to do over i would buy a small a instead of a c aerodynamics are better ,storage is better and the interior room is better because of the setup.
just before i retire I'm going to upgrade to a class a but mine is paid for so i will live with it for a few more years

just my two cents worth
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #7

Since last posting I have looked at a few class "A" and most look pretty good.

As you may have noticed in my signature line, we have a 27-5L Arctic Fox and a Cummins diesel. I like the setup just fine but wife wants to explore other options.

One thought is to rent a MH for a few days to see how we like it. The thing with a MH is easy access to the John and the frig while on the road. And more room for the dogs than behind the seats in the truck.

We travel pretty light, do not take much stuff with us and do not stay out more than 2 weeks at a time. One reason I like to travel, other than seeing new things and meeting new people, is to get away from all the chores and day to day routine.

Another thought is with a MH it is easier to just get in and drive to someplace close for an overnighter.

This is going to take time. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have kids? If not, consider a "C" that does not have the rugrat room. (overhang) Just about every "C" I've looked at leaks up there at some point. We looked at a three year old Trail-lite and it was leaking like a sieve.
We bought our Aspect partially because it didn't have the overhang, it's just my wife and me, no kids, so that space is not missed.
I believe the Phoenix Cruiser is one such "C" as well, along with the Jayco Melbourne, the Winnebago Aspect and Itasca Cambria.
Just a thought.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwf16129 View Post
if i were you i would also ck out class A's in your size range if i had it to do over i would buy a small a instead of a c aerodynamics are better ,storage is better and the interior room is better because of the setup.
just before i retire I'm going to upgrade to a class a but mine is paid for so i will live with it for a few more years

just my two cents worth
I found this to be true. After using several Class C's (and owning a Pop-up for many years), we settled on a good used 10 year old Class A (30 ft gas - no slides) for about half of your $35K target cost. Hind sight from 3 years later - the 'A' was the right choice.
On size, I find my 30 footer fits in all state and federal campgrounds and is no harder to drive than a 26 footer.
P.S. I found the "C"s harder to drive due to more limited visibility. The visibility in "A"s while driving and camped is GREAT.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You will get an above average C from Winnebago or Jayco.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #11

Looking at class "C" it appears the vast majority have the overhang. I don't like it because it blocks the view out and now it seems there can be leakage issues as well. A fiberglass end cap may help with the leaks but still do not want one.

As far as the class "A goes I will give them a hard look. Just might do the trick.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
We bought our Aspect partially because it didn't have the overhang, it's just my wife and me, no kids, so that space is not missed.
I believe the Phoenix Cruiser is one such "C" as well, along with the Jayco Melbourne, the Winnebago Aspect and Itasca Cambria.
Just a thought.
I looked at the Aspect online and it looks good to me. Need to see one in person and do a walk through.

Heading north for a short trip with the Fox fifth wheel starting tomorrow. Will walk the campgrounds to see what others are driving. See what they have to say.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You will get an above average C from Winnebago or Jayco.
Above that, I'd look at Holiday Rambler / Monaco... Not easy to find though.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
... we settled on a good used 10 year old Class A (30 ft gas - no slides) for about half of your $35K target cost. Hind sight from 3 years later - the 'A' was the right choice.
We just went from a 33' Class-A (gas) to a newer 31' Class-C (gas). The Class-A was more of a handful in crosswinds / highways speeds (passing big rigs). More room for people in the Class-C. More room for stuff in the Class-A. Lots of options either way...

You're looking at V10 gas most likely. Your target price is about the same as mine. In that range, I'm targeting a 2005 model. If you could get 2006, I believe they started putting a 5-speed behind the V10 around that time (but don't quote me). Both are reliable transmissions, but that extra gear helps the 2nd-3rd shift.

My advice:
1) Go drive both. I mean drive them. Put them on the highway at 70mph and let the rigs pass you. See how they do.
2) More visibility in a Class-A, but you've got more height to deal with too, darn near 12'.
3) Motors and drivelines are about the same. You'll have some additional heating in the Class-A due to the location of the motor (in the floor).
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote