Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #1

This came out of our Suburban water heater

Flushed out our 1995 vintage Suburban water heater. Installed a new anode rod. This piece of plastic came out of the drain while flushing. The water heater was (and is) working fine. Any thoughts on what this is?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1481930200.332795.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	146861Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1481930216.100183.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	146862
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Looks like a piece of a cleaning wand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1481930515.303327.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	146863

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tom Norman,
I have a 2001 Monaco Dynasty and this summer I replaced the Suburban SW10DE (10 gal) Water Heater because I saw signs of rust pockets after doing a thorough inspection with a bore scope camera. I did not what to be on a camping trip and have the water heater decide to spring a leak and ruin our trip.
During the inspection of the iternal components, I saw a nylon tube that seems to be an exact match to item that you are holding in your hand.

The nylon tube extension that you are holding appears to be the nylon extension tube that was once attached to the Cold Water inlet port that is the bottom water port located on the rear of your Suburban water heater. I have attached a pdf file that I generated that labels some of the internal components that are inside of your Suburban Water Heater.

Hopefully this will be of some benefit to you in determining how to identify some of the components that are located inside your water heater.

Hope you have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Jack
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suburban SW10-DE Water Heater Pic.pdf (170.1 KB, 325 views)
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Your efficiency of your water heater without this tube in place will be compromised and you run the chance of water "short circuiting"between the inlet and outlet . I don't see how they could manufacture the assembly with this thermoplastic part in place so it must be installable from the outside once you have access.
KAttkisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:25 AM   #5

Thanks for the detailed responses. I looked at the PDF file, and it's an exact match; definitely the cold water inlet tube. I've got a flushing wand, and it's much thinner and flexible plastic. The piece of plastic that came out of our water heater is much thicker, and not flexible at all.
I've got easy access behind the water heater, so replacement will be simple assuming the part is available, and replaceable from outside the tank. I sent an email to Suburban, and I'll post their response. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

PS: here's the email I sent to Suburban:

"Hi,
I flushed out our 1995 vintage SW6D gallon Suburban water heater today. This piece of plastic came out of the drain while flushing. (see pictures)

1. What is it? (searched the internet and someone called it an "inlet fill tube"?)
2. Is it critical to the water heater?

The water heater is over 20 years old, and not worth the cost of repair. What symptoms can we expect to see with this "inlet fill tube" gone?

Thanks,
Tom & Sallie Norman"
Old 12-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #6

Tom,
Just my opinion, but I would not waste my energy on this problem any longer. It's 20 years old. Nothing lasts forever. When you see things like this, it's time to take it out back and shoot it.
I replaced my 10 gal last year with a 12 gal. It's the exact same dimension as the 10 but is 2" longer.

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-SW10...+heater+sw10de

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-SW12...+heater+sw12de
Old 12-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Tom,
Just my opinion, but I would not waste my energy on this problem any longer. It's 20 years old. Nothing lasts forever. When you see things like this, it's time to take it out back and shoot it.
I replaced my 10 gal last year with a 12 gal. It's the exact same dimension as the 10 but is 2" longer.

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-SW10...+heater+sw10de

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-SW12...+heater+sw12de
Hey! I'm way over 20 years old and not as efficient as I used to be, but I'm not quite ready to be taken out back and shot.

I agree that a paid for repair on an older unit may not be economical, but if the parts costs a couple dollars, he unscrews the cold input, installs the part and then re installs the input, what is the harm in letting the old heater keep going? Especially if he does it himself, why toss the working unit?

I make a living repairing things, and while it is becoming a lost art in our throw it away society, I like getting things to work that were once broken. Especially when I see many items tossed away for practically insignificant faults.

This is a personal decision. I too like things to work when I want them to work. I have a low tolerance for items that leave me stranded somewhere, so I get it. But I have also had many a new item fail right out of the box, or shortly thereafter. In my book, newer is not always better.

Of course, there are many people that stop their analysis at, " OOOh, SHINY!"

I happen not to be one of those types.

Toss it or don't. Fix it or don't. Do what you feel comfortable with. I just felt the need to weigh in here.

Good luck. Tell us how it all works out.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #8

Plan A is contacting Suburban to see if that nylon inlet tube is available, and replaceable from outside the water heater.
Failing that, Plan B is to try using the water heater, without replacing the nylon inlet tube, to see what happens. If the water heater functions ok, then no further action is needed.
Failing that, Plan C is to replace the entire water heater.
Here's a follow-up email I sent to Suburban:

"Hi,
The cold water inlet nylon pipe has broken off inside our 20-year old SW6D water heater. It came out the drain hole yesterday, while I was flushing the tank.

Is this part replaceable from outside the water heater? I've got easy access to the rear of the water heater.

Is this part available? Other than being 20 years old, the water heater has no other issues. I'd hate to replace the entire water heater for want of a $10.00 piece of plastic and fifteen minutes of my time.

Thanks,
Tom & Sallie Norman"
Old 12-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #9

As has been mentioned that IS the 'defuser' used on cold AND hot water tubes in water heater.......also called 'dip tubes'

Used in all water heaters .......residential and RV

Cold defuser is longer...........points downward to spread incoming cold water across bottom of water heater tank so that hotter water is forced up and out.
Also minimizes cold inlet mixing with hot or causing 'channeling' due to differences in thermal temps.

Hot outlet has one also but it is shorter to allow for formation of 'air pocket' at top of water heater tank. It is pointed upward so that the hottest (top layer) water flows out first.

Suburban 171054 -Cold defuser
Suburban 171509-Hot defuser

Yours just popped of inlet tube....doesn't appear to be damaged
Disconnect cold water inlet line.
Unscrew fittings on backside of WH Tank.....pull inlet tube
Clean up end of tube and reglue the cold defuser back on to tube.
Let dry overnight
Reinstall....connect water line

If left out.cold water will forcefully mix with hot water causing Warm water to flow out, could cause channeling when cold water flows to top and comes out hot out and will dilute overall temp in water heater tank causing more heating cycles.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:08 PM   #10

Does anyone have a source for the Suburban dip tubes? Or contacts at Suburban? It looks like an easy repair. But the challenge is in finding someone to sell me the parts. Called Suburban; they don't sell direct, and suggested I call an RV dealer. Spent the afternoon on the internet and on the phone. No joy. So far I'm batting exactly zero.
Looking for the following parts:
Suburban #171054, cold inlet tube Suburban #171509, hot outlet tube
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater