Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #1

This is just how unlearned I am.

I am at the "See Dick run. Run, Dick, run." Stage of my RV education. Please forgive the basic questions.

1. Under what circumstances do I plug the 30 amp plug into the recepticle inside the compartment on the outside of the MH? Is it plugged in while driving?

Where is my switchover toggle for the house batteries? Or do I have one? And where are the house batteries?

There is no switchover on the wall by the door, other than the two light switches and the leak detector, which does not work. (No green light, good breakers, good fuses, no propane flow with propane fully on).

What is this toggle switch for? (Upper left corner. It says on and off.

ldychef2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #2

All good questions.

If there is a 30 amp receptacle in one of your compartments, it may be that you need to plug the cord into that when you run the generator (if so equipped). Some RVs used to be setup like that.

The location of your house batteries could be almost anywhere. I think in a C Class they are often under the inside steps, or outside in one of the compartments.

As far as that switch, I'm going to guess it either turns on your onboard water pump or possible the water heater. I'm just guess that because it's in close proximity to the sink. If you flip it on, do you hear anything run (like a humming pump)? If not, it could be what turns on the lighter to your water heater. If you have the LP gas turned on, it should ignite. However make sure there's water in the tank before you turn on the water heater.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
What make, model, year Class C do you have? I don't know the term 'switchover toggle' for the house battery. You might have a switch to disconnect them from the RV to stop discharging battery when in storage. You might also have a momentary switch, only on when you hold it down, that connects house batteries to the chassis battery to give a boost to start the engine when chassis (engine, headlights) battery is weak. That switch is usually within reach of the driver's seat. Do you have a level monitoring panel on wall or on hood above range? It might have a water pump switch or water heater switch on it.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, it's the only way we learn!

Also, if you list make, model, and serial # of all systems in your RV, you can Google the manufacturer and usually find a manual.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kris and welcome to the forum!

I'll leave the answer to your questions to those with more direct experience but wanted to welcome you.

You may want to go into your profile and add the year, make and model of your rig to your signature line. That will make it easier for folks to help out... since stuff changes from year to year and model to model.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Hi Kris - welcome to the forum.

It appears that all the questions have been answered. I'm sure you will have add'l questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Dave
darealmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #6

I was able to verify by looking through your manual that the 30 amp receptacle is indeed where you plug the power cord when you're running the generator. This motorhome has no automatic transfer switch.

I'm betting the switch turns on the water pump. I saw nothing in your manual that indicated you had a DSI (automatic starting) water heater. You probably have to manually light the pilot on the water heater.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #7

Thanks everyone !!! I did add my info to my sig line, I hope it's enough.

I have a water pump starter on the panel over the stove...where I check the status of the systems. The switch may be for the water heater....I am guessing.

It's wierd...everything I read, and the conversations I have had with the repair shop, have told me to look for a switch to go between engine battery and house batteries.

To add to the confusion...I have a small solar panel on the roof that is supposed to charge the house batteries. So far, it hasn't.

This is going to be educational...I can't wait until I understand it all and can spend a week out in nature with lots of books and overwhelming silence.
ldychef2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 AM   #8

Some propane tanks have a valve that shuts off the flow of propane when the leak detector senses propane. You say no green light and it is not working. That may be why there is not propane flow.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldychef2k View Post
I have a water pump starter on the panel over the stove...where I check the status of the systems. The switch may be for the water heater....I am guessing.

It's wierd...everything I read, and the conversations I have had with the repair shop, have told me to look for a switch to go between engine battery and house batteries.

To add to the confusion...I have a small solar panel on the roof that is supposed to charge the house batteries. So far, it hasn't.
Yes that's the Hot Water switch. The switch they are referring to is a "Battery/Boost" switch. That switch should be on the dash someplace. It's a momentary switch that activates a solenoid which connects the house and chassis battery. It's used if the chassis battery is weak or dead to use the house battery for starting. It can also be used in reverse, say the house batt is dead and you need to start the generator.

This same solenoid has a 2nd function. Any time the engine is running this same solenoid is engaged to connect the batterys to charge the house battery while traveling.

If that is the original solar panel. it's most likely shot. These solar panels of that era were only 10-15 watts. Unless you lived in AZ, they would hardly maintain a battery, but better than nothing. For now, I would put that way down my list until I knew all the necessities were working properly and reliably.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote