Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thor 23U C on Chevy Van??

Greetings:

My wife and I are getting use to our 2014 Thor 23U Class C. We have had numerous RVs including a diesel pusher. Thus far we are really happy with the C having taken it on several shorter trips for break-in. I noticed this weekend that the Thor has the underbelly exposed including all of my tanks. The two dump tanks are near the rear axled and the Fresh Water tank seems to be metal or metal enclosed under and slightly behind the driver's seat. I have seen the heating pads that can be fixed to the dump tanks but what about the fresh water tank?

I am curious if anyone has tried to insulate and or heat the fresh water tank? I am wondering if I should put the heaters on the dump tanks or just keep antifreeze in them. Right now we live in Houston Tx where it rarely drops below 30 and only for a few hours. in a few months we will retire and move to Colorado-entirely different story!

Would appreciate recieving advice and comments.

Regards,

Dave

Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #2

I think you are looking at the fuel tank, the fresh water tank is under your bed and not exposed to the outside.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Its the water tank. The fill inlet is above it and the drain valve is below it. I wish it was under the bed but that space is completely open to the storage bay!
Old 02-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #4

not in mine, but mine is a 2013
Old 02-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #5

I have a Thor 22E, which is very similar. My freshwater tank is plastic and is mounted under the booth. I run a little electric heater on cold nights and have had no issues with freezing.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks, I will look closer!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #7

Anyone have any info on the Chateau 24C?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
My rig is similar to the Chateau 24C. I winterize my rig the middle of October every year. I drain the water and put the pink stuff in the tanks and traps. I do bypass the hot water heater. Then, in mid March/early April, I drain the tanks and traps, place the hot water heater back into the system, run some bleach and water through the lines, drain it again and then fill it with fresh water for the year. I do take my rig out during the winter. But I bring Nalgene bottles full of water in a cooler and use campground bathrooms.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good news, my water tank is under the dinette booth inside the coach. I will add a few vent holes to help warm air circulate down to the tank. It sits on a steel sheet attached to the chassis.

We are enjoying the coach more and more. We find it very convenient for daytrips to area parks and the beach, something we never did with our trailers or diesel pusher bus! Looking forward to seeing how we do on an extended trip. Probably will spend more time outside and less time watching movies, which is one of the reasons we downsized.

The DP made it real easy to never go outside with all of the amenities it had on the inside!

Regards,

Dave
Old 02-14-2014, 11:18 PM   #10

Great to read what experiences others are having and good info on winterizing. We're purchasing a new 24C next Wednesday. Looking forward to taking an 8 month round the Us and Eastern Canada next year.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #11

Dave, the coach we're getting is supposed tohave heated tanks. Your deer should be able to tell you if there are after-market alternatives available. Gary
Old 02-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Gary mine does not have the heated tanks but I will add heating pads to the black and grey later. Right now in Texas I feel safe with adding some anti-freeze to the dump tanks and keeping them mostly dry between trips.

What I and perhaps you will have to pay close attention to in really cold weather is the fact that several parts of our fresh and dirty water systems are completely exposed to the weather. My fresh water drains, my entire black, grey and valves are completely exposed.

We are a few months away from retiring and moving to our townhome in Colorado, once there I am going to have to take a look at wrapping/protecting those areas if we use the coach in sub-freezing weather as we expect to.

Dave
Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #13

Good points, Dave. We're winter Texans who come from north Idaho and will be exposed to cold weather occasionally. Gary

Tags
chevy, thor