Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #1

Thor Freedom Elite 23U

Is this a trustworthy RV for beginners? It's a 2013 with less than 17,000 miles
JR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Trustworthy in what way? Engine/transmission? Quality of build? Propane system? You need to be specific. Also, what chassis is this thing on?

Thor has a rather spotty history in anything they build so you really need to look carefully at the service records for this coach. Not available? Run away!

BTW, all motorhomes are rolling earthquakes. Some handiness around water systems, electrical, and general carpentry is good to have. Nothing more than skills you have maintaining your home.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #3

They produced them on both Ford and GM chassis, and both are good. A little over 4K a year in mileage means that it got used.
Are you buying from a dealer or private party and is there a link to the ad where we can see better what it is and what it has.
My best suggestion is to learn as much as you can, and / or hook up with somebody that really knows them and what to look for. Look in the bedroom closets and there should be a build sheet listing all the systems. Take and print a picture of it and check off everything that is on that list as you are shown the item and verifying that it works. Don't leave a deposit and make sure that everything works before delivery.
Check yours against similar coaches in RV Trader as far as price.

Any other questions, pop back and ask. Somebody will have an answer. It may be a SA answer (probably me), but still an answer.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #4

I purchased the same model two years ago, a 2013 with 16k miles. It is an entry level RV and I have been pleased with it for being my first RV. There have been some minor issues but I do the work myself. I’ve averaged 6k miles a year. The Ford chassis is great as a tow a small sedan on a tow dolly.
SpaceCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #5

We don't plan to tow anything. We feel it is small enough to use and if we want we can always rent a car when we get some place if we need to.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #6

What kind of small issues did you have?
Old 11-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #7

The vinyl on the dinette started peeling, awning switch went bad and leaking behind tail light housing. We initially thought about driving it at locations with it but after the first year (we usually stay a week at most locations) realized how much better it is to have a car to explore the area and not break and set up camp everyday.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #8

Did you purchase a surge protector? If so what type?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #9

Progressive. Hardwired or portable is your choice.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:02 AM   #10

Yes, I have a portable unit.

Tags
thor