Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #1

Thor Motor Coach questions

Greetings all,
My family of 5 is considering either the Thor motor coach sprinter citation or the Axis, RUV, for weekend getaways and local trips. However, after reading some of the comments on Thor's build quality, we are not sure if we should go with them.

Can anyone please elaborate on the Pros and Cons on Thor Motor Coach' build quality? Also, if you anyone has hands on experience with either of these, please let me know.

Thank you in advance,

John
JohnP88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Hi John and welcome to the site. I have a Thor ACE 29.1, I have had it since early 2011. It is an entry level product with some entry level amenities. I have had very few issues thus far. The biggest is the generator code36 issue very widely reported on this site. I use my ACE exactly the way you described your need. I live in the NW so the generator issue has not been a real big deal, however it is getting moved to the rear of the coach in August, which will eliminate the problem (many ACE owners from this site have made this TIB possible). I hear of all the poor workmanship bla bla bla. There are issues with all the manufacturers and build problems thru out all coaches. I can say that anything I ever asked of Thor they have been very accommodating and pleasant to deal with. My Thor product is and has been a nice product to me.
Bdhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

While I have no direct experience with the Sprinter Citation or the Axis, I will submit that both of these RV's are the cutting edge of RV innovation:
2015 Axis Motorhomes: Class A RV by Thor Motor Coach
2015 Citation Sprinter Motorhomes: Class C RV by Thor Motor Coach

The Sprinter Citation is a Diesel powered Eurovan cab/chassis based Class B+. And the Axis is technically a Class A, but it rides on a Ford E Series chassis with independent front suspension and the same Triton V10 as the regular Class A chassis, all in a very compact with ingenious design.

Quality for all brands of new RV's have taken a beating recently because the makers are cranking them out as fast as they can...like from reading iRV2, the Palazzo seems to have a bad rap, BUT Thor has increased Palazzo production by 100% from 2013 to 2014, and there are many happy owners, which tells me that they are doing something right.
The fact is that TMC is the #1 best selling motorhome brand in North America, selling the most Class C's (FourWinds/Chateau) and the most gas powered Class A's (ACE).

The real test for you is with the RV that you pick. With a thorough pre-delivery inspection and a reputable dealer you will have a great RV.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #4

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP88 View Post
Greetings all,
My family of 5 is considering either the Thor motor coach sprinter citation or the Axis, RUV, for weekend getaways and local trips. However, after reading some of the comments on Thor's build quality, we are not sure if we should go with them.

Can anyone please elaborate on the Pros and Cons on Thor Motor Coach' build quality? Also, if you anyone has hands on experience with either of these, please let me know.

Thank you in advance,

John
I have the 2015 sprinter citation 24st. It is a nice coach and handles like a pick-up truck. very little sway if any when large trucks pass. For a family of 5 it may be a little cramped. The beds are comfortable for me, but a little short (I'm 5' 10") with my head at the headboard and feet touching the end wall. But traveling alone I find it doable. There is a cupboard above the kitchen sink that can be a headbanger.the build is good, cabinets tight and don't open during travel. easy ro enter and fuel up at diesel sites in regular lanes. I don't use truck fuel lanes if possible. I personally don't have a need for stabilizer jacks, but with a family of 5 you may need them for a class c. hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #5

Thank you all for the responses. I guess buying a RV is similar to buying a plane... you spend the first year working out all the little kinks. Knowing that TMC backs their products is significant. I'm leaning more towards the sprinter, as it is a very reputable vehicle and used all over the world. While the Axis is a new product and might have more kinks.

As for the size, we will use it exactly as the Axis material states. Going to the beach for an overnight, going to sporting events, etc. We realize that we will not go live in the woods for a month with this vehicle, however, some extended stays are possible.
JohnP88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #6

I have a class c Sprinter....love it.......but it is not a good match for a family of five. Even the small Class A are going to jammed with five people.
Storage for five peoples stuff is going to be a major problem on anything but a short weekend get away.
many class C and small As are not going to have 5 seat belts and if they do they are going to be in the dinette area.......not comfortable seating for any distance.
Showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

While I have no direct experience with the Sprinter Citation or the Axis, ..........

And the Axis is technically a Class A, but it rides on a Ford E Series chassis with independent front suspension and the same Triton V10 as the regular Class A chassis, all in a very compact with ingenious design.

Best luck
I'd suggest you check the specs. They state, as to engine "6.8L V10
305HP 420 lb-ft Torque" and that is sure NOT the same engine in the Class A chassis.

When I first researched this MH I hoped it had the 3 valve engine that puts out much more HP and torque but alas, that is not the case. I have this engine in my Itasca and there is no question in my mind that the more powerful unit is to be preferred. I seem to recall someone saying that the 3V engine will not fit into the engine bay of an E-350 or E-450. It is an option for the F series though.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While the 3 valve Triton V10 (362HP) in the F53 is not offered in the E Series, the engine is the same basic 6.8L package, just with the 2 valve heads and a different program in the ECU, making 305HP.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_...6.8.C2.A0L_V10

Ford has always seemed to detune their van's since back in the 90's when the 7.3L Powerstroke had lower ratings than that in the F Series.

I believe it has something to do with cooling ability, but I am no engineer. However, I am sure, barring state emission rules, that a van could be equipped with the higher HP version.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
While the 3 valve Triton V10 (362HP) in the F53 is not offered in the E Series, the engine is the same basic 6.8L package, just with the 2 valve heads and a different program in the ECU, making 305HP.

Ford has always seemed to detune their van's since back in the 90's when the 7.3L Powerstroke had lower ratings than that in the F Series.

I believe it has something to do with cooling ability, but I am no engineer.

Safe travels
The 2V predates the 3V by many years. It was in our 2000 f53. There are many other enhancements to get the big bump in hp and torque. I'd hate to even think of owning a Class A with the 2V. - it would be a dog.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
57HP is a good bit of difference, and would be nice to have in the cab/chassis too.

The odd thing to me about the Triton V10's is that the 2 valve engine has computer controlled variable camshaft timing (VCT), but the 3 valve does not. Valve timing can improve power AND economy.

Maybe a cost saving measure but again, I am no engineer.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
thor, thor motor coach