Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-19-2015, 09:07 PM   #1
Thor Super C for Fulltiming

I would like to hear any comments as to the suitability of the Thor Super C for fulltiming. My wife and I will become full timers next summer, and we have been "window shopping" in the $125-150K range. Reason for C over A is the availability of diesel in that price range.

kmburns49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 12:24 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Have toured 5 of these RV's (models of the Four Winds and Chateau lines and the Outlaw 35SG) and found them to be well appointed and functional. The VERY large slides on several models makes the interior very large once parked.

The overcab bunk really struck me as useable for adults or for large item storage being so TALL. Class C's on van and other Super C's with MDT truck cab/chassis are required by design to be much shorter, due to the cab's height, but not with these RV's.

And the Ford F550 foundation makes these RV's very special with towing capacity of 10,000lb!
With little problem finding available and affordable service, being very similar to thousands of other Super Duty Fords...unlike the Freightliner or Navistar MDT's under Super C's from other brands.

There are some owners of these RV's here...hope they find your thread.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
Welcome to the forum, we have had our Four Winds for 1 1/2 year now. With full timing in mind in 2 years, we believe the coach will work for us, but may not work for others.
Rudy & Jenny
2014 Thor Four Winds 35SK, Super C
CRV, F-150 and Wrangler Toads
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
Was considering a C plus

Could anyone tell me what MPG I could expect with a Four Winds, with the 550 chasis and 6.7 turbo diesel.
hogman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
Some people full time in class Bís, some need large DP 40+ feet long. It's more up to you and what things do you have to have, how much room do you need!

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
Trav'ler Direct TV dish, Progressive surge protected, Magna Shield covers, RV SnapPad, 5 starter, and Jeep Cherokee towed.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #6
Originally Posted by hogman1 View Post
Could anyone tell me what MPG I could expect with a Four Winds, with the 550 chasis and 6.7 turbo diesel.
Pulling my CRV I get an average of 10.5, pulling my F-150 I average 9.8. I usually cruise at 62-65 mph and have driven through most weather conditions and road elevations.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would check out the NeXus Super-C's long before spending my money on a Thor product. NeXus builds custom RVs and they are factory direct. I love their "Ghost" model.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:25 AM   #8
We recently bought a 2016 Thor 33SW Four Winds (Super C) and opted for the Entertainment Center, since we didn't need a overhead bunk bed (and small swing-out TV). Comes with a 50" TV with sound bar. Really quite a nice setup. We like that the dinette and sofa are opposite each other, so we both have a place to lean back, stretch out and watch TV. The other floor plans that have a sofa and dinette on the same side makes it more cumbersome to watch TV.
Wurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
We've owned a 2014 Four Winds 33SW since the fall of 2013. We are not full timers, but we do spend over 150 days a year traveling in the lower 48 and at our home base in Alaska. Full timing could be done in it as long as done in a warm climate as its insulation is not great. The full slide makes for plenty of room; residential refrigerator, king-size bed and the low to the floor cab-over bed. Our last motor home was a 29 foot on a gas Ford E450 van chassis. It sometimes was not fun to drive; in high winds, passing or being passed by semi-trucks, mountain roads. We do love the Ford F550 truck chassis under our 33SW; lots of power, easy to drive and sticks to the road in the wind. We have put over 20,000 miles on it averaging between 8 to 12 miles per gallon. We get the lowest MPG when headed out to the bush for a week or more loaded with supplies, full water and puling our Jeep Wrangler. We have had problems with the full wall slide, but none with it since it was repaired last winter. Good luck with your search.
Doug & Dena w/Gang of Min Pins, Max, Zoey, Pixie. 2014 Four Winds 33SW. Jeep Wrangler, Blue Ox TB, Patriot BC. Alaska (Summer) Missouri (Winter)
dembree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #10
You might look at the Winnebago Forza 34t. It's prices just over your budget but you could probably get a 2014 at a reasonable price.

Keep in mind that new Class As sell for around 25% less than MSRP. And the longer they sit, the better the deal.

RVLola is offline   Reply With Quote