Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
mre

Thor Super C (Four Winds or Chateau)

Does anyone have a Thor Super C (Four Winds or Chateau)? I am looking and have the usual questions: do you like it, any issues or problems, MPG, quality, etc.?

Thanks
Ed
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #2

Hello Ed. I don't have a Chateau but do have the Four Winds. There are very similar. I love the 6.7 powerstroke. I average 10.2 MPG with our toad. A comfortable and quiet ride that isn't affected by passing semi's or crosswinds. Really like the walk around king bed as well. We have had minor issues over time. I've fixed some myself but had my dealer fix all of the others. We are very pleased with the overall quality. Hope this helps a little.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #3

I had a Thor Chateau Sport. Purchased new from local dealer. After about 90 days we had trouble with the front cap leaking around windows. Thor replaced the front cap and interior. Dealer had unit for about 3 months to get in parts and get everything installed. We had inverter issues, water line leak issues, and various other smaller issues. Thor did fix everything. We had generator issues. It would cut on and off and it leaked oil. The final issue was the front cap started having major issues and Thor would not repair. We traded for a class A and have never regretted it. We got 8-9 MPG. Ours was a 2009.
Pacman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman22 View Post
I had a Thor Chateau Sport. Purchased new from local dealer. After about 90 days we had trouble with the front cap leaking around windows. Thor replaced the front cap and interior. Dealer had unit for about 3 months to get in parts and get everything installed. We had inverter issues, water line leak issues, and various other smaller issues. Thor did fix everything. We had generator issues. It would cut on and off and it leaked oil. The final issue was the front cap started having major issues and Thor would not repair. We traded for a class A and have never regretted it. We got 8-9 MPG. Ours was a 2009.
Pacmann22

Was your's a Super C?

ed
Old 10-09-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskrbina View Post
Hello Ed. I don't have a Chateau but do have the Four Winds. There are very similar. I love the 6.7 powerstroke. I average 10.2 MPG with our toad. A comfortable and quiet ride that isn't affected by passing semi's or crosswinds. Really like the walk around king bed as well. We have had minor issues over time. I've fixed some myself but had my dealer fix all of the others. We are very pleased with the overall quality. Hope this helps a little.
Rudy:

You don't have to go into a lot of detail if you don't want to, but what were some of your issues that both you and Thor fixed. I was wondering if they are Super C related or just something that could happen with an E Series Gasser.

Have you met us with anybody else that has one? If so, how did they like it and were there any issues>

thanks
ed
Old 10-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #6

Ed:

Things my dealer fixed;
1) Replaced water pump and filter.. Was not properly winterized while at the dealership before I purchased it.
2) Attach and secure a heater duct hose to the register. ( Kept falling off )
3) Locking bar on the kitchen window fell off. They replaced the whole window.
4) Adjusted the l/r cargo door. It was dragging at the bottom.
5) Adjust striker on the entry door.
6) Tighten microwave to the overhead cabinet.
7) Repaired a bubble on the linoleum floor.
8) Replaced both hinge lock clips on the pull out bed. One was broken.
9) Added length to the bat wing antenna coax up on the roof. Couldn't rotate the antenna fully.
10) Tighten the roof ladder. The horizontal bars had loosened.
Most were a result of about 1,500 highway miles shaking things up a little. That will happen (as I'm sure you know) with any MH or TT going down the road at 65 mph. I now have about 4,000 miles on the MH and all the repairs are holding up so far.

I have added a couple of support screws to a cargo bay floor. Not sure if I had too many weighty things in that bay or not but I noticed a bit of a sag in the floor. I also repositioned two battery cables to allow more room to connect my Battery Minder charger.

The 35SK is a new model for 2014 and I haven't been able to find but one other owner of the 35SK model. I'm not sure if I found him on this forum or not. Could have been another (forum) but best I recall he had mentioned that he had just purchased it. I will do a search on this and other forums and see if I can't find him. Hope this helps
Old 10-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #7

Mine was not a super c. The issue that Thor or dealership would not address was with the front cap. We were driving to Florida going through Jackson, MS area. There was a
Very loud POP and the front cap started bouncing up and down very violently. Neither party said they could find anything wrong, even though they acknowledged it was bouncing when driven. We stopped using to bed over the cab because if this. I have seen others like ours on the road, but I have not talked to any owners about their coach. I figured we may have just gotten a lemon.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #8

The class A we have is a Thor Daybreak. We have not had any issues with the unit. Thor was very helpful in getting us keys for the storage compartments and they sent me a grill that was supposed to be in the outdoor kitchen, no questions asked. I have read others have had issues with Thor in the owners corner... I can't really complain
About Thor. They have always responded and been very helpful to me.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
mre

Quote:
Ed:

Things my dealer fixed;
1) Replaced water pump and filter.. Was not properly winterized while at the dealership before I purchased it.
2) Attach and secure a heater duct hose to the register. ( Kept falling off )
3) Locking bar on the kitchen window fell off. They replaced the whole window.
4) Adjusted the l/r cargo door. It was dragging at the bottom.
5) Adjust striker on the entry door.
6) Tighten microwave to the overhead cabinet.
7) Repaired a bubble on the linoleum floor.
8) Replaced both hinge lock clips on the pull out bed. One was broken.
9) Added length to the bat wing antenna coax up on the roof. Couldn't rotate the antenna fully.
10) Tighten the roof ladder. The horizontal bars had loosened.
Most were a result of about 1,500 highway miles shaking things up a little. That will happen (as I'm sure you know) with any MH or TT going down the road at 65 mph. I now have about 4,000 miles on the MH and all the repairs are holding up so far.

I have added a couple of support screws to a cargo bay floor. Not sure if I had too many weighty things in that bay or not but I noticed a bit of a sag in the floor. I also repositioned two battery cables to allow more room to connect my Battery Minder charger.

The 35SK is a new model for 2014 and I haven't been able to find but one other owner of the 35SK model. I'm not sure if I found him on this forum or not. Could have been another (forum) but best I recall he had mentioned that he had just purchased it. I will do a search on this and other forums and see if I can't find him. Hope this helps
Rudy:

Thanks. Seems like the normal stuff and am had pretty much the same. I was more concerned about the major stiff like slides no working, major electrical, hard to find leaks, etc.

About your sagging compartment floor. On my 5er, had a similar situation. I could see that when I starting loading it up after I first got the trailer that the floor was going to sag. What I did was cut a 1/4" piece of plywood the dimensions of the floor and lay it on the floor. I felt that it would help distribute the weight over the floor area better. It worked. If I detect the wood sagging, I just remove the stuff out of the compartment and flip the wood. I guess if stuff is really heavy, you could use thicker plywood.

Also, what is the dry weight of you Fourwinds and specify if that includes water.

thanks
ed
Old 10-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #10

Ed,

Other than the above mentioned water pump and filter that was cracked do to freezing, I haven't had a single water leak in the plumbing and no leaks in the coach at all. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself). My slides, electrical system, generator, HWT, residential refrigerator, surge guard, etc have worked from the beginning flawlessly. (Now I know I've just jinxed myself). I haven't had any major component issues at all.

There was never any mention of the "dry weight". Not in a brochure, nor did the dealer know. I did the following just to see where I weighed against the stickers GVWR.Here's what the sticker says:
GVWR= 19,500
GCWR= 35,000
GAWR FRONT= 7,000
GAWR REAR= 14,706

With the MH fully loaded with all of our gear, I filled the FW tank, 75 gal/672 pounds, (black and grey water tanks were empty) and headed to the Cat scales. Here are the results,
FRONT= 5,940
REAR= 11,880
GROSS= 17,820

Even though I've never been able to completely get me head wrapped around figuring weights, if I'm looking at this correctly, I have room for another 1,680 pounds. If I have that wrong, please let me know.
Seems clear as mud to me.

Thanks for the tip on the cargo bay flooring.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
mre

Quote:
Ed,

Other than the above mentioned water pump and filter that was cracked do to freezing, I haven't had a single water leak in the plumbing and no leaks in the coach at all. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself). My slides, electrical system, generator, HWT, residential refrigerator, surge guard, etc have worked from the beginning flawlessly. (Now I know I've just jinxed myself). I haven't had any major component issues at all.

There was never any mention of the "dry weight". Not in a brochure, nor did the dealer know. I did the following just to see where I weighed against the stickers GVWR.Here's what the sticker says:
GVWR= 19,500
GCWR= 35,000
GAWR FRONT= 7,000
GAWR REAR= 14,706

With the MH fully loaded with all of our gear, I filled the FW tank, 75 gal/672 pounds, (black and grey water tanks were empty) and headed to the Cat scales. Here are the results,
FRONT= 5,940
REAR= 11,880
GROSS= 17,820

Even though I've never been able to completely get me head wrapped around figuring weights, if I'm looking at this correctly, I have room for another 1,680 pounds. If I have that wrong, please let me know.
Seems clear as mud to me.

Thanks for the tip on the cargo bay flooring.
Rudy:

Thanks for the answer.

Based on you numbers, my guess is the CCC is in the upper 3k range and the motorhome weight is in the low 16K range.

I hope you don't mind another question, but did you look at Nexus and Seneca Super Cs? I would ask about Dynamax, but I think I know the answer there. If you did, why did you choose Four Winds.

thanks
ed
Old 10-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #12

Ed:

I did not physically look at the Nexus or Seneca lines. I did study them somewhat online. Bottom line is they were both above the budget the DW and I agreed on going in. They are both awesome units though IMO. We picked the Four Winds at the KC RV show this past January and got a good show price so we went with it. No regrets.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #13
mre

Quote:
Ed:

I did not physically look at the Nexus or Seneca lines. I did study them somewhat online. Bottom line is they were both above the budget the DW and I agreed on going in. They are both awesome units though IMO. We picked the Four Winds at the KC RV show this past January and got a good show price so we went with it. No regrets.
Rudy

Thanks for you help. Until a couple of weeks ago, I didn't even know Thor carried Super Cs. I guess I am going to have to go look at them soon. The closest dealer is 90 miles away so it is going to kill a day. I also would have thought that there would have been more IRV2 member that would own one of these and would have piped up.

ed
Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #14

We have a 2013 Seneca. We had an 08' freelander before. Your interior will be similar but the drive will be the difference. You just can't compare the big truck and the air suspension to the beefed up little truck. If you can afford it go drive a Seneca, if you can't afford one don't drive it because there's no comparison.
Joe II is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor, four winds