Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thor vs Jayco

We looked at essentially the same 31 foot DS unit with bunks from both companies. Same ford chassis as well. Same year (2013). Deals on the Thor were quite a bit cheaper, is there a quality difference?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #2

this is a no brainer...my vote goes with jayco. Thor makes some great MHs (and some meh ones), but Jaycos are all nice. There isn't a "bad" Jayco, at every price point, they're just about as good as you can expect.

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
As a new Thor owner and 1st RV (plenty of popups in the past) I guess I will weigh in. When I bought my camping toys I found it was best to take a flashlight and open drawers and look how things looked (built) behind the pretty exterior. Pay attention to corners to see how they fit, not overlapping or have a gap. Take a pen and paper with you when you go to pickup your RV so you can write down what they are going to tell you because you will not remember it all. Make sure you look under the RV for anything out of place. Most of all be sure to have any problems found in writing as to who will take care of it. I bought my Thor because it best fit my needs and I plan on keeping it a long time. Hope this helps.
Dennis
Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I've owned 3 Jaycos, a Cardinal pop-up and 2 Designer 5th wheels. All have been good, solid, reliable units at their respective price points, and Jayco's 2+3 warranty and outstanding customer service are just icing on the cake.

I've never owned a Thor, so I can't comment on them.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #5

Owned 2 Jayco's and they last. My new one is a 1993
Jayco Designer 'c' and it is still in good condition.
Interior and exterior etc have stood the test. Roof
needed some attention due to poor manitenace.
taki44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
The identical Jayco and Thor (same layout and chassis) are only about 7500 apart. Sounds like the difference may be worth it but ill do some careful inspection!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #7

I have a 2013 Four Winds 31F, it is my second class c, the first one was a Gulfstream. I really didn't know how bad the quality was in the Gulfstream until I got the Four Winds (Thor). I have been very happy with the Four Winds, when I bought it I was at the dealer to look at a Jayco Greyhawk with a similar floor plan. The Greyhawk was very nice but there was a small difference in the floor plan that I could not live with, I looked at the Four Winds 31F and it was just what I wanted. I think the quality is about the same, there were a few more high end features on the Jayco but there were things I thought it should have but didn't, like awnings on the slide outs ans porcelain toilet, it also had a lower GCVWR than the Thor. All in all I think they were pretty comparable but I had to go with Thor on the floor plan. Hope this helps.
Brent
Old 03-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 737brentc View Post
I have a 2013 Four Winds 31F, it is my second class c, the first one was a Gulfstream. I really didn't know how bad the quality was in the Gulfstream until I got the Four Winds (Thor). I have been very happy with the Four Winds, when I bought it I was at the dealer to look at a Jayco Greyhawk with a similar floor plan. The Greyhawk was very nice but there was a small difference in the floor plan that I could not live with, I looked at the Four Winds 31F and it was just what I wanted. I think the quality is about the same, there were a few more high end features on the Jayco but there were things I thought it should have but didn't, like awnings on the slide outs ans porcelain toilet, it also had a lower GCVWR than the Thor. All in all I think they were pretty comparable but I had to go with Thor on the floor plan. Hope this helps.
Brent
Thanks, the Jayco Greyhawk 31 FS and the Thor Chateau 31A are the 2 I'm really looking at as both have local dealerships. Floor plans are almost identical.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
I have a 2012 Jayco Greyhawk 31 FK. I am very happy with it and it came loaded with all kinds of options such as in-motion satellite, jacks, tankless hot water, and electric key pad entry. The quality is much better than the other brands that I looked at and Jayco has a 2 year warranty. I am told that they are the only one to offer that.

I use my RV a lot and so far there are no problems.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco any day over Thor.

Ken
Old 03-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Has anyone ever wondered why RVs don't carry at least a 3 year warranty? Yes they are more complex, but would you buy a new car with anything less than at least a 3/36 warranty? It would allow the chassis warranty to match the house. Hmm... I know, off topic.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 AM   #12

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
Has anyone ever wondered why RVs don't carry at least a 3 year warranty? Yes they are more complex, but would you buy a new car with anything less than at least a 3/36 warranty? It would allow the chassis warranty to match the house. Hmm... I know, off topic.
But a great point!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
We looked at essentially the same 31 foot DS unit with bunks from both companies. Same ford chassis as well. Same year (2013). Deals on the Thor were quite a bit cheaper, is there a quality difference?
I own a 2013 Thor Four Winds 31A and just watched a YouTube video of the Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. The video must have shown the one with all the bells and whistles because I would have bought that one if I saw it first! I like the levelers and the inverter already installed. Those are two of the upgrades I'm looking to do to mine. I also liked the side mirrors with the rearview cameras built in and the 6 way drivers chair. I know for me to do the upgrades for an inverter and levelers would cost about $5500 (that is with a 3000watt pure sine wave inverter and Bigfoot levelers, high end stuff).
Let us know what you decide, and happy camping!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
The projected cost of warranty is "cooked" into the financial plan. The product price would rise with longer warranty. So, me thinks it is an industry standard to have everyone on an equal plane.
Thats why there are EW companies.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote