Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #1

Thor warranty

I purchased a new Four Winds class C at the end of July. One of the issues I have had with it since day one is that the brakes were pulling to the right. My first trip was out to Yellowstone and we put 3700 mile on. When we returned I made an appointment with the dealer that sold us the unit for other issues with the coach. When I picked up the unit I was told I would have to go through Ford service for the pulling problem. I made an appointment with the only Ford dealer in the area(70mi) that services trucks. They replaced the front left caliper and told me I would need an alignment but they didn't do that there . I spoke with the RV dealer and after contacting Thor they told me it would be my responsability to get the alignment done. After finding another Ford dealer that would do the alignment I decided to call Thor . They told me that I should have done an alignment when I first bought it and said it states that in the manual. I would have never purchased the unit had the told me this. Was wondering if anyone has experienced this?
hogman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #2

You should have a 12 month, 12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty from Ford.. If it needs an alignment, I would press Ford to pay for this service.. When calling Ford, make sure you get in contact with their "Recreational Vehicle" department.

However, keep in mind, Ford is going to press the issue that the chassis was sent to Thor "bare" and an alignment should've/would've been done after the coach portion was added.. as the additional weight would/could play a part in the alignment..

If you are over the warranty period and didn't resolve it in that time frame.. you would be responsible..

Also, an alignment is considered to be normal maintenance.. considering the roads of America, it should come as no surprise after the pounding the suspension takes, a front end alignment would need to be checked on a yearly basis..

Good Luck !! and above all.. DO NOT give up until you get your desired result.. Unfortunately, no one's going to "give" you what you want (sad but true).. you need to be your own best advocate in getting satisfaction..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:07 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure why replacing a brake caliper would require an alignment. Possibly they just noticed the tires wearing and suggested it.

Several years ago I purchased a new coach on a Chevy chassis which ate the front tires completely to the cords in the first 1000 miles. Got into a huge fight with the manufacturer and General Motors. Seems the truck chassis is aligned at the factory and then when the motorhome manufacturer places the house on it the chassis needs to be realigned. Now I am seeing where almost all manufacturers recommend that after you load your coach with fuel, water, and all your gear you need to have it realigned again at your expense.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #4

Yes Ford told me it was the coach manufacturers responsibility to align the vehicle once the coach is installed. The bad caliper was a separate issue and the tech that replaced it noted that it needed an alignment . It is still under warranty as it was delivered on July 26th 2015 and has 3700 miles on it(the last 200mi. Trying to get service). Just feel that since this was an issue since day 1 on a new vehicle it should be taken care of. Had I known it would have been a condition of the sale. This is my first RV purchase and I am finding out it is very different than a regular car or truck purchase.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:40 AM   #5

Continue to press Thor on the issue... I would insure all communications are documented with names and dates... When I dealt with WBGO on my warranty issues.. I insisted on getting name, rank and serial number of all people I spoke with at WBGO..

Additionally, I asked for email address and sent a follow up synopsis email to that person about our conversation... Thankfully, WBGO was very happy to help me with all my issues and I didn't need to fall back on my documentation.. but when I spoke, I had names, dates and emails and whomever I spoke with, I'm assuming, knew I wasn't to be reckoned with..

It's a carry-over habit from where I work.. when you ask right off the bat for name, rank and serial number from a person before the conversation starts.. they always seem to be reluctant to say no.. they know having all their information may come back to bite them in the A$$... its a very good habit to have when dealing with issues such as this.. My Two cents !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #6

I agree that Thor should cover the cost of realigning the unit. But my experience was that it was not worth the fight over a relatively inexpensive service. After loading up the coach, I ended up going to a local shop they handled commercial trucks for the alignment. They did an outstanding job, road tested it and I haven't had any problems in 3 years and 30000 miles. Cost $129.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #7

The Ford Serviceman I spoke with told me the alignment usually runs $329.00. They have to install something to make the castor and camber adjustments. Sometimes they can get by with the toe adjustments which would be about $ 180.00
Old 11-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #8

That is correct, they do have to add parts to do the adjustment. But shop around for the best price. The parts are not expensive and once installed, the alignment is fairly easy and straight forward.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor