Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #1

Tiffin Wayfarer vs Winnebago View Sprinter

We just sold our 40 ft Forest River Cardinal 5th wheel. It was time to get something shorter. We are looking at the Wayfarer and the View 25 ft Sprinter. We would appreciate the opinion of folks on the this site.

Thanks,

M and J
big bird 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #2

Both were on our short list and both are quality rigs. We ended up with a Phoenix Cruiser 2552 on a Ford 450chassis (downsized from 37ft Pace Arrow). Many reasons why we steered away from the MBS and feel like for us we made the right decision. DH looked at the generator (fuel it used), horsepower of the engines, etc. I looked at floor plans and the inside. We're happy with what we got, but I don't think you could go wrong with either of those rigs
kgb6days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:23 AM   #3

Question

Thank you for your response. Is helpful and appreciated. We visit the dealer next week and make a detailed inspection. The dealer carries both units. Something tells me we may not leave alone.
big bird 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sprinter based Class Cs are popular with lots of manufacturers to choose from. All of the Sprinter chassis have the same specs, same GVWR, and the same GCWR. When comparing models, the biggest differences come from how well the manufacturer has built in all the conveniences you want while still retaining some carrying capacity for you, your wife, your pets, and trivial things like food, water, and clothes.

Winnebago (who is the leading manufacturer of these things) has figured out how to build light. Tiffin, not doing to well in the light area.

You can easily compare models by looking at the weight sticker on the door jamb - look for the OCCC number. This is the occupied carrying capacity. Typically equipped Winnebago models will normally be 1200 lbs or more; Tiffin numbers are more like 600-800 lbs. What does this mean? In practical terms this means you will always be overweight in the Wayfarer. You can make the decision.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A simple comparison of features will reveal the Wayfarer as the hands down winner. You won't be able to carry a lot of stuff in either coach so don't get wrapped around the axel (pun intended) over the weight.

We were Winnebago people for many, many years. We looked at the View but didn't like any of the floorplans or the strange cabinetry. Then, comparing features, we clearly got more with the Wayfarer. We couldn't be happier with our 2020 Tiffin Wayfarer RW!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:20 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
A simple comparison of features will reveal the Wayfarer as the hands down winner. You won't be able to carry a lot of stuff in either coach so don't get wrapped around the axel (pun intended) over the weight.

We were Winnebago people for many, many years. We looked at the View but didn't like any of the floorplans or the strange cabinetry. Then, comparing features, we clearly got more with the Wayfarer. We couldn't be happier with our 2020 Tiffin Wayfarer RW!
Glad you are happy. What's your OCCC? What's your actual weight when load?
Old 05-24-2019, 09:23 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Total OCCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Glad you are happy. What's your OCCC? What's your actual weight when load?
The published OCCC on the coach is 702 lbs. Full fresh water alone would consume 317 lbs. So, we don't often travel with full fresh water and we don't tow a vehicle.

There is no doubt in my mind that most motorhomes going down the road are well over the published OCCCs. That's likely true in the Wayfarer and the View. I'm yet to see the OCCC on an 2020 View but, based on the improved feature set, I'm guessing it will be less than the earlier models. Bottom line, I'm not sweating this at all with my Wayfarer.

Also, I note with interest that the combined axle weights of the coach provide a great deal more margin than does the published OCCC. The GVWR is 11,030 lbs and the combined axle weights are 12,130 lbs. I'm not exactly sure why that is but it does make me more comfortable with exceeding the OCCC by a reasonable amount as long as I don't overload either axle. I'm getting a four wheel weight done soon so I can determine my actual weights and the axle weights.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:12 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
OCCC of 700 lbs and you have never weighed the coach. Oh well, aren't you the least bit curious how overweight you actually are?

It is curious about the axle weights being much higher than the GVWR on Sprinter based motorhomes. I'm not sure either but I think I'll ask the Winnebago and MB people this summer at the WIT rally in Iowa.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
OCCC of 700 lbs and you have never weighed the coach. Oh well, aren't you the least bit curious how overweight you actually are?

It is curious about the axle weights being much higher than the GVWR on Sprinter based motorhomes. I'm not sure either but I think I'll ask the Winnebago and MB people this summer at the WIT rally in Iowa.
I found the same specs on my Ford Transit chassis under the Winnebago Fuse. The axle weights together exceed the GVWR by about the same amount as the Sprinter's. My guess is that chassis structure also fits in with GVWR calculations.

Regarding being overweight....one consideration being ignored is how an insurance company might look at this if the vehicle is in an accident. Being overweight could be an easy reason for them to deny a claim. 700 pounds OCCC is abysmal.....and is the reason I turned away from a number of Sprinter chassis RVs. I happily ended up with our Winnebago Fuse and 1200 pounds OCCC.....and we use every pound of that according to recent scale reading.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #10

I have a 2019 Navion D. I like the space when the Murphy bed is stored. Tons of storage space and the ONLY class C I saw ( I looked at them ALL) with more than 8-10" of counterspace ,particularly between the stove and sink. I weighed it with about 1/4 tank of fresh water empty holding tanks, 1/4 tank of fuel and some food plus what we put in there for dishes, pans, cleaning, etc., 10180 lbs. This gives us 850 lbs for the 2 of us, the dog and whatever else we want to haul along. After a few trips the "inclusions" have changed. Some things deleted, some things added. I will reweigh it once I get the new Cherokee Trailhawk set up to flat tow. The jeep weighs 4205 with a full tank. I will be at or slightly over PUBLISHED gvw combined.
Build quality is top notch in my rig ( I am a retired remodeling contractor specialized in kitchen and baths so I know what to look for). Without towing anything I got 14.5 MPG from Sacramento to Quartzite and back. It is a dream to drive and has plenty of power and torque.Love the tankless waterheater and EVERY person who has been in it commented on how nice it is to NOT have to make up the bed each nite or store it in the morning!
My 10 cents for your decision conundrum!
Old 05-26-2019, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
The published OCCC on the coach is 702 lbs. Full fresh water alone would consume 317 lbs. So, we don't often travel with full fresh water and we don't tow a vehicle.

There is no doubt in my mind that most motorhomes going down the road are well over the published OCCCs. That's likely true in the Wayfarer and the View. I'm yet to see the OCCC on an 2020 View but, based on the improved feature set, I'm guessing it will be less than the earlier models. Bottom line, I'm not sweating this at all with my Wayfarer.

Also, I note with interest that the combined axle weights of the coach provide a great deal more margin than does the published OCCC. The GVWR is 11,030 lbs and the combined axle weights are 12,130 lbs. I'm not exactly sure why that is but it does make me more comfortable with exceeding the OCCC by a reasonable amount as long as I don't overload either axle. I'm getting a four wheel weight done soon so I can determine my actual weights and the axle weights.

I seriously DOUBT any mfg will list the absolute limits when it comes to weight capabilities. I would venture a guess that published weight restrictions are 10-20% LESS than what the rig could actually handle. From a power perspective, the Mercedes rig my Navion is built on could easily deal with more weight. I'm sure the stock suspension would handle it too. Don't get me wrong here, I am NOT advocating intentionally overloading your rig. I am saying a few hundred lbs over certainly isn't going to cause anything to fail or not perform
Old 05-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusB View Post
I seriously DOUBT any mfg will list the absolute limits when it comes to weight capabilities. I would venture a guess that published weight restrictions are 10-20% LESS than what the rig could actually handle. From a power perspective, the Mercedes rig my Navion is built on could easily deal with more weight. I'm sure the stock suspension would handle it too. Don't get me wrong here, I am NOT advocating intentionally overloading your rig. I am saying a few hundred lbs over certainly isn't going to cause anything to fail or not perform
While an owner may be comfortable with this attitude, I suspect any warranty repair dealer or any insurance company would easily find grounds to deny repairs or damage claims if they discerned that the RV exceeded GVWR.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:26 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2017 View and my good friends just bought a Tiffin Wayfarer in January. They came to visit us in February for a few weeks so I got to 'learn' all the functions of the Tiffin along with them and compare both units up close.

Tiffin vs View
- Tiffin had great fit and finish. Outside cargo doors are sturdier but that adds to the weight that has been addressed above
- Tiffin had automatic transfer switch. View makes you plug the power cord into a generator outlet
- Tiffin's dash radio (I think a Pioneer) much smaller screen than View's nav screen
- Tiffin has one screen in hall to control EVERYTHING. From tanks to pumps to slide outs, it all gets controlled with one screen that seems pretty fragile. View has separate switches that are in the same general area above the refrig
- Solar - Tiffin did NOT have a panel. View came with 100w panel, controller and plug to add more panels easily
- Satellite ready - Tiffin had coax plug in one of the cubbies but NO factory roof access. My friend bought a sat dish thinking he could just install it easily because salesman said it was 'sat ready'. Only learned later that it was more set up for a ground sat dish.
- Roof access - View has a built in ladder. None on the Tiffin
- Microwave location - View has microwave in horrible upper location where my wife bonks her head and can't see into the oven. Tiffin has microwave in lower cabinet
- Tiffin has a dinette which is much more convenient that Views couch and table that can only be used if slideout is extended
- Round sink in Tiffin not as ergonomic as the double square kitchen sink in View
- Tiffin had exterior TV. None in View. I have an exterior TV in my other RV (Winn Tour) and never use it.
- They had the QW floor plan that requires you slide out the back to use the bed. We have the View V version that has the two bunks in the back that convert to king. I much prefer the View V sleeping situation.

All in all, I like my View except for the lack of dinette and the bad microwave location. But I wouldn't trade it for the Tiffin.

Good luck!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:07 AM   #14

If you search the Tiffin on rvtrader you’ll discover many built on the new Sprinter chassis, fixes several items but unfortunately payload capacity isn’t one of them.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin, winnebago