Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #1

Tire brands that handle and ride the best??

I searched tires and looked thru 200 plus posts. Class C GVWR 11,500 on LT 215/85/R16 tires as called for in the mfg. spec sheet. I need to replace as they are 5 years old. I have a feel from reading the posts about some tires better reputation than others, but how about the ride and handling aspect. Do some brands have a better reputation in that area than others?? Thanks
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 03:56 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
When one looks at high end Coachs, high end auto's, and just a lot of top name mfgs. they all come out the door new with Michelin tires on them............What get me, is a lot of folks want to save money when buying tires, the most important single part on your ride to assure your safety, and some want to go the cheap route to save money. Michelin's are expensive, but I love mine.Others have had bad experiences with Michelin's, but like everything in our world things will fail from time to time as nothing is perfect. Look around at different auto's and Coaches (newer ones) and see what they come with from the Mfg.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #3

It is a bit of a crap shoot but staying on the high end of tire makers is a good idea. If you amortize the annual difference between high end and cheap ones, it is chump change.

I had a C and small A with 16 inch wheels. BF Goodrich TA tires served me well from 1995 to 2011 and had a nice ride.

My current rig came with 19.5 inch GY670s. I like them too. Will need to decide what to get in 2016.

My Jeep Wrangler came with Goodyear Wranglers (surprise). I like them too but will go with BFG when I replace them next year.

Best of luck and please let me know of your decision.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #4

I've been very happy with the handling and wear of my LT 215/85/R16 Toyo tires on my 38 foot Newmar Mountain Aire.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #5

I replaced the Michelin tires with Firestone TransForce this year.
Just a little cheaper than Mich's.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #6

Thanks for the information.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #7

You may also want to check out Double Coin tires. A friend of mine who runs big rigs recommended these. A couple of years ago I put a set on my 5th wheel and I was real happy with the way they performed. I got mine from Pete's Tire Barns. Happy with the way they treated me also. When it comes time to get new rubber for Winnie I will be looking at Double Coin.
Hollander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In April I replaced the Goodyears that came on our 2006 Allegro Open Road with Michelins XRV. Seems to track better and has a smoother ride.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #9

I had severe sidewall checking with every Michelin I ever owned. They will not stand behind side wall checking. One set only had 3600 miles on them and was 3 years old, (stored inside). I have gone to Good Year and have not had a problem one so far.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #10

I've had excellent luck with Bridgestone and really liked their ride. I'm now running Toyo because of their stiffer sidewall and less road sway. Might ask 3-4 independant tire dealers (Les Schwab, Big O, etc) and see what they recommend. IMO, stay away from dealers focused on car tires and stick to dealers who mostly do trucks/RVs. You can always go a notch about the standard LT-E series and look at F and G series tires.
RFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar
I've been very happy with the handling and wear of my LT 215/85/R16 Toyo tires on my 38 foot Newmar Mountain Aire.
I gotta ask.....are you really running 16" tires on a 38' MH? Pls post a photo....this I gotta see!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote