Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #1

Red face Tire extenders

Hello again,
Another newbie question, this is my first RV, a 2009 Winnebago View. My tires are LT215/85/R16's. The tire valves do not have extenders on them and are very hard to get to, I can barely touch them with my fingers. I called my local RV guy,(very rural area,Clearlake,CA) and he quoted me $67.00 for the extenders and $97.00 to install them, is that about the going rate? Could I order them online cheaper and just have some other tire company install them? If I did order them online, what kind would I get, how long, flexible or solid? I have made a few calls to some of my local tire places but not sure if they do RV's and I need to know what a fair price would be to do this.
Thanks again for the help on the waste water hose lengths.
Pattd2
pattd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #2

I do not like valve extenders, they tend to leak. A better solution is longer solid valve stems, such as Dullyvale . I had Les Schwab in Sacramento install them on the 4 rear dual tires for $120. About $85 ($110 list) for the 4 valve stems and $35 to install. Dually valve also has longer valve for the front tires if needed.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #3

Tire extenders

Each to their own ways, but....
I advise buying good ones and having them installed at a good truck shop.
I have added good truck shop flexible valve extensions of proper length on each of my 4 MHs when I bought them. They do not get in the way of the tires or rims, and have never come loose from the valve stems.
They never leaked in over 120K miles over about 23 years.
I dont recall the maker and they are not labeled. But they were not cheap, neigborhood of $50+ per pair. Top shelf stuff at a truck shop that truckers there reccomended.
The braiding is tight on the hose, and there is a neoprene gasket where it screws on to the valve stem.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427496288.406008.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	89758
When tightened, you gotta work to get them loose! The braiding touches nothing if they are the proper length and set in place carefully.
I double check them after new tires are mounted.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #4

Valve extenders

I had the same problem and found flexible extenders in two sizes at my local RV dealer. Seem to be working fine
Tschlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #5

I just sold my 2006 View J but, for 6 years, I ran Dual Dynamics Crossfires on the rears. They have several advantages:
1) See at a glance if your tire pressure needs to be adjusted
2) Automatically equalize pressure so one tire isn't carrying more weight
3) Very simple single inflation point for both tires at once

Crossfires are available in single units unlike other systems that only sell them in pairs. Also, I found Dual Dynamics to be very customer friendly. Crossfires should cost about $70 each. Hope that helps.

edit: Almost forgot, they have a check valve to prevent both tires from going flat in the event of a blow out.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #6

I use Crossfires also. They work well. You can purchase them off Amazon for less than $60.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #7

Tire extenders

TPMS negates Crossfire.
My TPMS works fine, alerts me to any temp or pressure issue, and I only need to top off the tires about once a year. I don't see any "effort" bonus in Crossfire for me. 6 valves vs 4 to top off is not really a gain as they are right next to each other on the dualies.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Each to their own...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
TPMS negates Crossfire...
To each, his own. I added TST TPMS on our WGO Vista because I wanted to monitor the toad but, when I owned the WGO View, I didn't tow often enough to justify ~$500 for a TPMS w/10 sensors. Even $300 for a 6 sensor kit is about $150 more than Crossfires. Add another $100 (your cost) for a set of extensions, and (s)he is up to $400.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:36 AM   #9

Tire extenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
Almost forgot, they have a check valve to prevent both tires from going flat in the event of a blow out.

Good tire extenders, in effect, do the same.
TST tells me all pressures before I leave camp, and tells me if there is an underway pressure/temp problem before the tire shreds and causes costly collateral damage and/or takes out the other dualie.
TST moves to the newer RV too!
With good extenders and TST (about the cost of a tire) I do it all.
Be safe out there, friends!
Happy trails
Old 03-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #10

Thanks for all your help. The "Guy" at my local big tire shop said he doesn't recommend them and that there are many tire dealers all over the place that would be glad to check my tires anytime and I think he is probably right? Right?
pattd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can install dually valve stems that are solid metal that replace the original valve stems. They are long enough to reach from the inside dually to the outside making it easy to check/add air and if you want you can install a TPMS on them.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

If you can't decide which ones you need call them and they will probably be able to tell you.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattd2 View Post
...The "Guy" at my local big tire shop said he doesn't recommend them and that there are many tire dealers all over the place that would be glad to check my tires anytime and I think he is probably right? Right?
Like everything else about RVs, it all depends. By "doesn't recommend them," do you mean extenders? If so, I agree, extenders add one more potential failure point in the chain. BTW, have you checked to be sure your 09-VJ has high pressure TR600 valve stems instead of the OEM MB TR418 valve stems?

You can ask any tire dealer to check your pressure as long as the shop is open and they're not busy and they can find the high pressure gauge and they're willing to put down the beer for 10 minutes and the compressor hose is long enough and kid can actually hook the head onto the dually valves. I've run into tire shops where I wouldn't trust them to air a kid's tricycle.

Trust me, I wrestled with this problem for 2 years on my 06 View 24J before settling on Crossfires. The CF threads directly onto the valve stems so there's only one connection between it and the CF gauge/stem. A TPMS will do the same thing except it costs 3x as much. The next best solution in terms of ease of use vs cost is Borg Dually Valves. The most expensive and convenient is a TPMS.

If you're not already a member, join the Yahoo Groups View-Navion forum. There are 7000+ members who can advise you on everything about V/N.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattd2 View Post
Hello again,
Another newbie question, this is my first RV, a 2009 Winnebago View. My tires are LT215/85/R16's. The tire valves do not have extenders on them and are very hard to get to, I can barely touch them with my fingers. I called my local RV guy,(very rural area,Clearlake,CA) and he quoted me $67.00 for the extenders and $97.00 to install them, is that about the going rate? Could I order them online cheaper and just have some other tire company install them? If I did order them online, what kind would I get, how long, flexible or solid? I have mare de a few ctallalls to some of my local tire places but not sure if they do RV's and I need to know what a fair price would be to do this. Get
Thanks again for the help on the waste water hose lengths.
Pattd2
The best and most economical solution is to have them install new dually valves. They are just longer tire valves, but they are directly connected to the wheel. Good ones run about $100, and probably the same $95 install cost.
I looked into the tpms, but they are basically 350- 400 for 6 wheels. If you do that then logic dictates you spend $200 more and install them on the toad. Now you are talking real money.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote