Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Tire jacks

Just bought our first MH, a 29' Class C Winni Outlook. I understand most don't come equipped with a tire jack. What kind of a jack is needed and where do I get one. If none are available then where do you find a roadside service.
DAB2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #2

DAB, I have a 31 classC, and when I bought it had a jack, bottle type for the weight, but I have had heck with just an auto tire on the side of the road, Dont think I want to try lifting 6 tons, heavy a-- tires, breaking lug nuts with who knows how much torque. I just joined good sam road service. They will come out and change. Worth every penny.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your coach has leveling jacks you can use them in case of an emergency to change a tire.

As Fletch460 says you are better off purchasing an Emergency Roadside Service policy. Good Sam and Coachnet seem to be the most popular.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Welcome to our little group Most jack companies say not to use them in any situation to raise a coach to change a tire . As a newbie, IMO, I would go with a road service company...Again Welcome and Safe Travels. Peace....D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have changed flat tires on my MH several times over the years; it really is not that big of a deal. Get a bottle jack that is heavy enough for your coach. Make sure you block the wheels, set the parking brake, etc. I have Roadside Service; but it can take an hour or more for them to show up if you are off the beaten path. Why wait?
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Tire Jacks

Thanks for the info. I looked into bottle jacks but there are no lift points to place the jacks. Therefore you have to lift from the axle itself and I couldn't find a bottle jack with a cradle or saddle type piston top to prevent the jack from slipping off the axle. I bought a 3-ton floor jack that works but not easily.I hope I don't have to use it, especially on the road. If you have a specific make of bottle jack made for this situation I would be anxious to know what make it is.

Thanks again
DAB2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nothing special or specific, just a regular 10 ton bottle jack with the standard round piston top, although the 10 ton has a bit larger top than smaller jacks. As I said, just make sure that you set your parking brake, block the wheels, and jack on a level surface. Jack only high enough to replace the tire, no more. If the coach can't move forward/backward, and you've centered the jack under the axle; it should not slip off. I've placed it under the axle at the leaf springs in the back, and under the lower suspension arm in the front as close to the wheel as possible; never thought twice about it and never had a problem.

IMO, even those who have/use roadside service should have a jack and know how to use it on their coach, in case RSS is unavailable, no phone service, too long of a wait, etc.

BTW, a 3-ton floor jack may be more dangerous than the bottle jack. You are at or exceeding it's capacity, which could lead to failure. If you are that concerned about the "cradle" type top on bottle jacks, then simply buy a 10 ton bottle jack, unscrew the top pad, and take it to a welding shop and have them weld a cradle onto it.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #8

DAB2011, tire jack

Be self sufficient!
If your motorhome rear axle weight were 12000 lbs, buy a 6 ton (12000 lb) jack. That gives you a safety margin, because you don't lift the entire weight on one side. Then for about $300.00 (or less) buy a 6 CFM @ 90 PSI rated compressor and an air impact wrench, and carry them with you. The impact wrench, like they use at the tire store, does all the hard work for you. You'll be able to inflate or change your tires as needed, or beach toys or whatever. The compressor runs on 115 VAC at about 5 amps, which you get from the onboard gen, or campground hookup.
Be Happy
Wolfgangr
Wolfgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
1id

When we bought our 32ft Granite Ridge, it didn't come with a jack as well. I'm currently using my factory Ford Superduty jack. It works but I am going to replace it with a bottle jack. I also set my self up with a Snap On cordless 1/2 inch drive impact gun. I do carry a compressor as well but just use the cordless impact. The last inside dual I blew the CHP officer said that was the quickest tire change he's seen. I believe in being self sufficient as I can. I had that tire done in about ten minutes from stopped to rolling down the highway again. Sure beats waiting for a road service for hours.
1id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Welcome to our little group Most jack companies say not to use them in any situation to raise a coach to change a tire
That depends on the jack manufacturer and the model. Ours are HWH and rated at 12,000#'s each (four of them). No problem raising the front of our 41' MH off the ground and leaving it for months. I can also raise one side of the coach far enough to change a tire, but 200# wheel/tires and 500 ft lbs on the lugs is out of my realm. I'll call Coach-Net.
Anyway:
Newmar says it's OK to use the jacks to lift the rig
HWH says it's OK
Spartan says it's OK
Reyco Granning (front axle manufacturer) says it's OK
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Whats the hurry ? Put on the coffee and call the roadside service---relax---save your knuckles. Thats what I call self sufficient---it's my choice.

If a jack company says it ok to lift your rig in writing then believe it-----otherwise-----?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote