Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Question Tire Presure Monitors (which is best)

What would be best monitor for tires on 29' Holiday Rambler Augusta? Just watched video on blow out on a class A and my next project is to have a tire pressure monitor installed. Also what are the pro's and con's of having one? Thanks

Ladyrvr66 & Bubbles (14 yr old blind toy poodle) & Heidi (6 month old german shepherd)
2008 Holiday Rambler Augusta
ladyrvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 08:44 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I highly recommend a TPMS. When traveling down to Florida recently, we picked up a nail with the right front tire of our toad. Having the TPMS alert when the pressure dropped to 20lbs allowed us to safely pull over and change it before any real damage occurred. The best we can tell, we picked it up when we stopped at a rest area and it didn't puncture all the way through until we hit a pothole or something at just the right angle. Could have been way worse. Can't recommend one enough.

Most have similar features. We run the TST-507RV with external sensors. I couldn't justify the cost of the internal sensors, especially since I had just replaced tires a few months prior. With anything there will be margins of error. My take is that these are not scientifically calibrated devices nor are they being used in pristine conditions. Instead, I figured out what "accurate" meant in my world and worked with that. By this I mean that I compared the sensor reading to several hand gauges. Every one was "off" when compared to each other ... so ... take the average.

As for cons, I can't really think of any. Batteries in my sensors need to be changed every couple of years and you may or may not need a repeater. That really depends on your set up (how far the toad is from the monitor, how much is in the way, etc). My first year, I didn't need a repeater. This year, I kept getting drop outs so DW would move the monitor a little further back in the coach until it picked up the signal again. Next year may be different still ... it's all RF so interference counts.

All of this being said .. I believe the TPMS to be an invaluable item.
rvfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #3

I use the EEZ tpms and am very satisfied with its performance. Customer support is very prompt to address any issues or questions.
I actually don't see any cons as of yet with using a tpms.

Best travels to you...
HRvindeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Thank you so much. Has been a great help. Am planning to purchase one immediately.
ladyrvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #5

Have a EEZ in my van and it sometimes loses signal in one of the rear tires, otherwise is good. I had a blow out and it did nothing, however, it could not have prevented that blowout.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #6

Get a monitor that checks both pressure and tire temperature. Both times my monitor helped me the temp warning was the first to beep. (Brakes locked on the toad). Pros: peace of mind, can save you from a blowout with thrown rubber or a fire as the toad tires overheat. Cons: false alarms. For whatever reason every once in a while the pressure in a tire reads too low in the morning, or when starting up. This requires taking time to check things out. Even when you can test the pressure through the monitor, because there was a warning you might want to take off the sensor and check directly to the valve (at least I do), just time consuming. I'm glad I purchased mine. I won't say they are any better than others, so no brand recommendation from me. I purchased this brand because the salesman lives close to my home, if I had a problem.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I have had the EEZRV TPMS for a year and a half. I am very satisfied with it.

Yesterday I emailed them about an improvement that I would like to see made (i. e. independent trailer axle setting). I am pleased to say that they have already replied to my communication. I am even more pleased to let you know that they already have this improvement in their updated unit which starts shipping the end of the month. 😁

Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #8

Commercial Member

What is the "BEST xxxxx?

Always wonder about questions like this as I seldom hear about any criteria that is important to the person asking the questions.

IMO few people have ever conducted side by side performance comparison of two different TPM systems. or done an ease of setup comparison or battery life comparison. Do all TPM systems offer a "Morning Reset" setting?
Also who is going to suggest a brand other than the one they bought? To do so would indicate they admit making a bad purchase decision.

I see no mention of length of warranty so have to believe that no one cares about a warranty or feels that a lifetime warranty might make one brand preferable to another.

However I do believe that almost any TPM is better than no TPM as long as it is a working unit.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #9

I've never used any tire pressure monitors, but just realized today how important they can be. I had my tires rotated back on 10/19. This past Thur. when I went to drive my MH out of my yard for this little trip we're now on, I found that my left front tire was totally flat. I thought that perhaps it was an issue with the very short valve extender that was on the valve stem, so I took it off, aired up the tire and we went on our way. We've been sitting in a campground since Thur. afternoon. I forgot about the tire issue until this AM, when I looked at the tire and it was almost totally flat.

I went to a tire repair shop, where they discovered that the needle valve in the valve stem had gone bad and was leaking. They replaced the valve and the fellow told me that they never put brass needle valves (which I assume all mine are) in a steel valve stem, because they will corrode.

This problem was easy to spot because it was a front tire, but wouldn't be so easy if it was a rear tire. I'll have to replace the rest of the valves soon. Just by checking the tire pressure, I could cause the same problem with another valve.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #10

Commercial Member

Comments on metal valves.

Most if not all standard bolt in stems are brass not steel. Quick test with a magnet will confirm. Some stems are Nickle or chrome plated so are Silver or "Steel" in color. Never heard of Brass core corroding in a Brass stem, even in plated stems.

Many OE car TPMS with bolt in feature are Aluminum and come with Stainless valve cores.
Yes brass core in Aluminum TPMS can corrode so basically tire stores go with stainless cores so they do not have to stock brass & stainless cores.

I have a blog post on valves. Might be worth a read if you want to know more about that critical component.