Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Tire problem? Or something else?

I have a 2013 itasca navion, purchased in Feb from dealer in Springfield, Mo. On 400 plus mile trip home, at first diesel fill up I noticed passenger front tire was low, had 45lbs, supposed to be 61 plus. I aired it up and it did fine rest of way home, I thought might have been due to sitting on lot in sub freezing weather. Over next couple of trips, pressure seemed ok (about 1.5K miles total), then I started noticing slow loss of pressure, about 3-5 lbs per 2 weeks. During this whole time MH drove like a dream at 65-67 mph towing jeep. (Yes, I weighed it with jeep, fuel and passengers, all axles ok and GVCR about 800 lbs below max.) absolutely no vibration on steering wheel.

Before recent trip to smokies, I decided to have tire checked, and it had self tapping screw in it, tire was repaired. I used tire dealership I have used for years. I got back on interstate, and at 55 mph the steering wheel started to shake like a car out of alignment or with worn tires. I had to slow below 50 mph to stop it. I thought they had not mounted tire correctly, or it had gotten unbalanced. Took it back to dealership, they took tire off, inspected it, balanced it (only 1/4 ounce off) and remounted it. It did drive better, but still have annoying wobble of steering wheel between 60 and 70 mph, seems to go away at 70, but I don't drive that fast routinely. I made 1200 mile round trip, wobble was fairly persistent, but would disappear at times with no change in speed. (Drove about 62-65 most of trip) wobble is minor, but annoying and was not there before having tire repaired.

I would like suggestions on what my next step should be, have someone else inspect tire, rotate tires, check alignment, or something else? Thanks.

PS- no wobble at 55 mph or less.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Could they have bent the wheel dismounting the tire? Or a piece of debris in between the wheel and hub?

Old 08-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #3

LA.Paul, If the tire repair is the only thing you have had done then I would get a fresh set of eye's on the problem. In my experience even a trained individual can look right at a problem and not see it.

Take it to a different, established shop and ask for the most experienced employee in tire repair they have. Explain to him exactly the events that led up to the issue. Let him do the troubleshooting without offering a solution, tell him you have no idea that is why you are there.

I have also noticed that trained individuals tend to solve an issue better if you let them formulate their own (what I call) issue resolution process.

Now this is just my opinion and I am an old guy so if it helps great if not that will be OK also. Anyway good luck on correcting the problem.
ReelTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You have likely added a lot of weight to the coach since purchase. Winnebago recommend an front end alignment on most coaches after the new coach is fully loaded. I don't know if they do on the View/Navion but a check in your owners manual should identify it if required. I has a similar vibration in my Journey at 63 mph and one of the tires was very slightly out of round as a result of sitting on the dealer's lot. That was a simple fix of remounting with the high spot at 12 o'clock and the effect of the high spot on the tire was eliminated and it now drives rock solid.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for replies. I did see in manual about checking alignment after loading coach, but it has been driving buttery smooth with coach loaded, for about 2K miles total, until tire repair. Do plan to use different shop.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tire still out of balance, have it done again, try someone different.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
L.A.Paul
You stated the balance was done off the motorhome. A wheel hub and brake rotor are not balanced as a unit & each have been machined to (not perfect) specifications for balance and wobble by two different manufactures. Now add a tire that came out of a mold at (not perfect) specifications and mount it on a disc wheel that was machined to (not perfect) specifications.

In your case the (imperfections) in the hub & rotor may have been assembled at 180 degrees of each other and the same for the wheel and tire. The tire & wheel was then balanced and installed on the new motorhome and it passed the driving test.

Then the tire had to be removed from the wheel. If the lug bolt on the motorhome and the lug hole on the wheel and the valve stem location on the tire were all marked with a tire crayon it all could have been reassembled in the same position that had been a good balance.

But maybe another mistake was made when the wheel was mounted back on the motorhome. The lugs nut were hand started on the hub and then the air wrench begin to wack each nut down but the first two nuts didn't perfectly center the wheel. (The way they are made today this isn't supposed to happen.)

If you haven't already done so, you could remove the wheel and rotate 180 degrees on the lug bolts and carefully reinstall and road test.

If it was mine I would have the right front wheel loosened and carefully re-tightened and then spin balance both front tires on the vehicle.
Good Luck Dwight
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
jpf

Gulf Streamers Club
put the spare on first and see how that goes.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #9

I had the tail wagging the dog with ply separation on an inside dually. Steering wheel shook.

Jack it up and rotate them while viewing the tread straight on from front or rear.

Best wishes

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #10

Tires have belts inside that can be damaged by repair operations. While the balance stuff is true, you need to get that tire out of there now. Use a spare and re-test. If the problem is only there with the suspect tire, discontinue its use.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies, lots of good info. I finally got time to take coach to another tire dealer, they inspected tire well, said it was just "out of round" and we swapped it for spare. Drove home on interstate at 65 mph, smooth as butter again. That was good lesson. I guess they do spin balance while on coach at factory.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by La.Paul View Post
... I guess they do spin balance while on coach at factory.
Could be, but I doubt it. It would all go out the window at tire rotation time anyway.

What your results prove to me is that you had (have) a defective tire or wheel, and it was bad enough a tech could see it. The fact that a spare restored the unit to proper operation shows the defective parts removed were the cause of the situation.

If the solution was the part of some greater more complex balancing assembly problem, the spare would not be balanced with the assembly either. It could have been a wheel to vehicle mounting problem, but they are often caused by corrosion or abuse. Those two causes are unlikely on a rig as new as yours.

Glad to hear you got it all smoothed out and you are running safe again. Hopefully the new tire isn't too expensive.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same problem. I thought it needed an alignment but when it was being serviced at Freightliner, they said it was likely just the "runouts".
I didn't have a clue what that was. It was explained to me that RV tires frequently get flat spots from sitting for extended periods and develop a high spot on the tread that results in a vibration at a specific speed. If you read my previous post, my problem was also at 62-63 mph.
The problem is detected by measuring tread depth around the tread looking for high spots and is not really visible to the open eye. Since DPs do not generally do not carry a spare, the fix was to chalk the sidewall at the high spot location, remove the tire and re-mount the tire with the high spot at 12 o'clock. There is sufficient weight in the tire that the top ends up being slightly in a different position and slightly lower than before when re-mounted offsetting the high spot.
When this was completed, there was absolutely no vibration throughout the entire speed range. Evidently this is a relatively common problem and the tire is definitely not defective. It is also a cheap fix. It also would have been identified had the coach been rebalanced after loading. I had similar problems with my previous class C until I bit the bullet and had it aligned.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #14

I owned a tire store for 14 years and one thing that can happen is the rim could be tweaked after the tire was removed. This can be caused by a tech not paying attention and being somewhat sloppy in his attempt to remove the tire fromthe rim. I would have the tire and rim checked by a shop that has a Hunter Road force machine. They can test the rim for trueness and the road force of the tire. That machine has the abilty to match the tire to the rim from a high spot perspective. It also can place a road force on the tire while spinning to determine it's road worthiness. Best machine we ever purchased IMHO.