Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #1

Tire purchase

Hi, last season found out the hard way about dot dates on tires. I had 2 blowouts in the rear and 1 tread peeled right off on my last trip of the season. Tires were 8 years old. So this year I'm buying new tires, the problem is there are so many tires to choose from. I have a 2002 31' winnebago chalet, tire size where LT225/75R16 load E. a buddy of mine works for a large Tire warehouse and offered me BFGoodrich long trail T/A for $165 otd. I had Goodyear 647 prior. I know I'll never see the mileage guarantee cuz I'll replace them sooner. So my question is if these tire should do the trick rather than spending double if I'm gonna replace them every 5 years per say? Alot cheaper for me since I also have to repair exhaust pipe due to damage from the blow out. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #2

You should note that many of the "tire warehouse's" sell tires that are old - if you go that route specify up front you want tires who's dot date is no more than a few months old or you may get tires that are yrs old. Last time I purchased tires I moved from Michelin's to Toyo's - took the money I saved and put it towards improved suspension - been happy with the Toyo's.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #3

Thanks kfg5000 and yes, that was yes that was the first thing that came out of my mouth lol. I believe the load mas was around 3000# my thinking is there are soo many tires to choose from and BFgoodrich is a well known brand versus a Chinese brand. At 1st I was lookin into Michelins but they seem pretty costly for having to replace them in 5 years. How long have u had the toyo's? Thx again!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #4

I have had the Toyo's for couple seasons now - purchased them through Les Schwab which is primarily West Coast tire dealer. When I told Schwab I wanted "new" tires it took an additional week since they had to special order them.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
running firestone transforce ht tires here, in that size. they go for about 150-155. your price out the door seems good.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdave13 View Post
Thanks kfg5000 and yes, that was yes that was the first thing that came out of my mouth lol. I believe the load mas was around 3000# my thinking is there are soo many tires to choose from and BFgoodrich is a well known brand versus a Chinese brand. At 1st I was lookin into Michelins but they seem pretty costly for having to replace them in 5 years. How long have u had the toyo's? Thx again!
Why replace tires at 5 years? Michelin doesn't even state that. I went almost 9 years on ours with not so much as a flat.
Some people seem to think that there's a hard and fast "rule" that requires you to change tires at 7 years. There is not!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #7

Thank you all for your input. @ mr._D I was exaggerating about the 5 years, but everywhere I have read that 8 years is too long to keep for safety reasons n I know first hand cuz it happened to me n scared the crap out of everyone in my rig. I'll never take that chance again. But sounds like you got a good run on those Michelin's!
Old 01-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I'd go with Michelin or Bridge stone tires. Toyo also has a good name. Yes, they are expensive tires, but you do get what you pay for.

Ken
Old 01-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdave13 View Post
Thank you all for your input. @ mr._D I was exaggerating about the 5 years, but everywhere I have read that 8 years is too long to keep for safety reasons n I know first hand cuz it happened to me n scared the crap out of everyone in my rig. I'll never take that chance again. But sounds like you got a good run on those Michelin's!
I think that living in the NW with our cooler and wetter weather helped. We've only been down to Quartzsite and Yuma a couple times too for a few weeks, plus our rig is stored beside the house and the sun almost never touches it except in the morning and then not for long.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #10

I would go with BF Goodrich Commercial T/A. Sam's sells them and the price is very reasonable.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #11

We purchased our new coach in 2002. Ran the Michelin tires for 8 years. The last 2 years of the 8, the tire store inspected them. In the summer of 2010 it was suggested I purchase new tires. So, I replaced them with Bridgestone. 7500+ miles later I couldn't be happier!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #12

Well thank you all for your feedback. Ended up buying the BFGoodrich commercial T/A's and all 6 comin in 2maro. Was thinking bout putting them in my garage till mid march till I need them installed. Also keep them out of the elements. Wanna get my brakes changed right before I install the tires.