RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #1

Tire Rotations on Sprinter Cassis

Does anyone have an opinion on tire rotations on a 2019 Jayco Melbourne. My service rep said each wheel is specific to its location. He can swap the tires to the opposite sides but says this will do nothing for wear.

gts30066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #2

I'm guessing you have aluminium front and outer rears. If polished on one side only, then yeah, they're specific to each location.

But to be realistic, at least in my case, they're likely to age out long before I wear them out.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #3

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
We have a 2018 Jayco Melbourne. I don't know how you can rotate the tires. If you have Aluminum rims then the front and back can't be switched. The inside duals are on steel rims that must not be mixed with the aluminum due to the mounting stud sizes.

I would just consider them fixed and replace as needed. We did replace the stock Conde tires with Michelins and kept one Conde as an unmounted spare.

Congrats on the new RV. Get a trickle charger and plug it into the lighter outlet under the ashtray.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNSue View Post
We have a 2018 Jayco Melbourne. I don't know how you can rotate the tires. If you have Aluminum rims then the front and back can't be switched. The inside duals are on steel rims that must not be mixed with the aluminum due to the mounting stud sizes.

I would just consider them fixed and replace as needed. We did replace the stock Conde tires with Michelins and kept one Conde as an unmounted spare.

Congrats on the new RV. Get a trickle charger and plug it into the lighter outlet under the ashtray.
Good call on the trickle charger/maintainer plugged into the always hot outlet under the ashtray. I power my Stanley FatMax BC8S from the inverter off the solar/batteries in the summer, and plugged into shore during the winter. Works perfect for me, and so far so good, on keeping the chassis battery charged.
I also won't be rotating my tires any time soon. Maintain suspension appropriately, and replace as required, works.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:06 PM   #5

I do not recommend rotating tires on a class C with duel rear wheels. For 95% of owners, the tires will age-out long before they wear-out.

My concern with rotating the rear tires is that the lesser worn will then be positioned to carry more weight than it's partner, instead of each pair of rear tires worn to carry the load equally. The change in position may encourage a tire blow-out.

The two front tires are in their own world. No harm rotating them with each other. Because of front alignment needs and such, front tires often wear strangely so replacing them independently of the rears is not uncommon.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Take tire rotation of your list of maintenance items. It is highly unlikely that you will wear the tires out before they age out. If you have aluminum wheels, proper rotation requires that tires be unmounted from the rear wheels (both the aluminum and the steel) and remounted. Not good for the tires or your wallet.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #7

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Hi Ron,
You don't want to rotate the front tires from left to right. Radial tires pick up a set from the braking action. In essence the sidewall cords start to shift in reaction to braking and if you shift them to the opposite side the cord gets pushed in the opposite direction and eventually will bulge and crack the sidewall. That's why they specify moving tires from front to back on cars, but never across.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #8

Tire Rotations on Sprinter Cassis

I have a 2017 Sprinter RV with 15k miles. The tires still look great and are wearing evenly. What I have researched says donít rotate and thatís what I plan to do.

You do need to monitor wear for any potential alignment issues.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNSue View Post
Hi Ron,
You don't want to rotate the front tires from left to right. Radial tires pick up a set from the braking action. In essence the sidewall cords start to shift in reaction to braking and if you shift them to the opposite side the cord gets pushed in the opposite direction and eventually will bulge and crack the sidewall. That's why they specify moving tires from front to back on cars, but never across.
I recall that. Thank you for the correction!

Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote