Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #1

Tire sizes

I am looking to replace tires on the Coachman 30' and am curious if anyone has done this or would shy away from it. I found this on another site. Seems logical, but who knows. The prices on the two tires is about the same. I am in Florida and most of my time is here in the south.

OEM size is 225/75/16R. The post I read recommended going to a 215/85/16R.

"215/85/16R tires are larger in diameter (about 1.2 inches taller) and slightly narrower. This means they increase vehicle ground clearance by about 0.6 inches, increase gas mileage slightly by raising the ratio in every gear including over-drive, and improve rear dual-set tire cooling in warm weather because there is more air space between the adjoining dual tires' sidewalls."

Any thoughts?
sleestac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #2

Do you have a link to the article?

One concern would be a taller sidewall with more flex. I assume you would replace the fronts as well. Might make handling a bigger issue.

Anyone gone down this road? sorry for the pun
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #3

This may not be an issue in flat country; FL ; but in hills, the increase in height/ gear ratio, can lead to increased down shifting & more time spent in a lower gear. That would kill any fuel savings.
Do both tires have the same load rating, usually a taller side wall makes for a lower rating due to side wall flex.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #4

I was planning on replacing the front as well. You bring up a valid point about the flex. may just go ahead with OEM size. I am looking to do some travelling in north Ga and NC so I will do some hills.

This the link from the other site.

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: New tires? Help me decide?
sleestac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #5

Not sure Skip. The comments are aimed at someone with a small class C. What size is yours?
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #6

I'd be very skeptical of any article that makes claims like "improve rear dual-set tire cooling in warm weather because there is more air space between the adjoining dual tires' sidewalls".

The tires create heat from the friction of the road and the constant flexing they do as they roll. But the faster they roll, the faster the air movies across them. Next time you pull off the highway put your hand on a tire, it won't be very warm at all.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
Not sure Skip. The comments are aimed at someone with a small class C. What size is yours?
Class C , A , any TV, any change of engine RPM to vehicle speed, can change the transmission shift pattern, by dropping the engine out peak torque range and 2 to 300 RPM can be enough to do that particularly when a vehicle is being operated near or at Max. GVWR/ GCWR. which is where most RVs are being operated.
Having owned a TV that was geared wrong, keeping the engine operating in it's sweet spot as far as RPM is concerned , has been a consideration ever since.