Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
tires 225/75R16 to 235/85R16

Hi,

Has anyone successfully done this on a Class C with rear dual tires?

225/75R16 to 235/85R16

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
It's all going to depend on the offset of the wheels you have. With the wider cross-section of the 235 tire, be sure that you have adequate clearance between the sidewalls of the dual tires so that they do not contact each other, even under maximum loading conditions.

I'm sure you've considered the speedometer errors, etc. induced by the taller tire as well.

Rusty

RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its could also cause some handling issues since you would raise the rear. Could also effect steering gemotry not sure how much but you are messing with OEM calculations.

Is there a issue your trying to correct IE ride height, softer ride? Like stated before you open a can of worms changing sizes my big worry would be wheel well clearance if you bottom out. If you change fronts also would there be enough room to turn stop to stop with rubbing tires.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As others have already stated. Clearance. You should also put the same size all around not just the rear. That will effect steering geometry if not.
Just if you didn't already know, here are the dim's or those tire sizes.

225/75R16
8.86" wide x 6.64" tall sidewall

235/85R16
9.25" wide x 7.86" tall sidewall
Old 03-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #5

Hi,

I do intend on getting seven tires. I am hoping for greater load carrying per tire (I know it doesn't improve the chassis, I'm looking at safety as I weigh in at 14,000 lbs). I hope to have a little better ride. I hope to have a little more ground clearance.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #6

I have 235/85R16 on the rear but OEM was 7.50-16 radials. The rear 235/85's have 1/2 in. separation at 10psi below max pressure. This is the second set of 235's (timed out) and there's been no problems.
I would look on the spec sheet to see what size is OEM on yours and go from there.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #7

Hi Don,

My oem are 225/75R16
Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #8

i went from 16'5s to 235/85 16s with no clearance issues, mine was to get away from the hard to find 16.5s.
i gained a lot of safety margin with the 16s as they are rated much higher then the old tires.
the only clearance issue i had was with my exhaust it was to close to my new tires i cured that by heating and bending the old exhaust and have now permanently fixed the problem with a new exhaust system the dumps on the other side of my step.
the speedometer discrepancy is very small and not caused any issues with my rig good luck

Tags
tires