Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #1

Tires cracking

Couple of my tires show hairline cracking on the outside tire wall, are they ok, there is still a lot of tread on them, I don't know how old they are, here's a pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-95039196.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	54226

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Your tires should have a date code stamped on them. It's a four digit number; first two are the week and the last two the year manufactured. Most RV tires age out before the tread wears out. I's seriously consider replacing if over six years old.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #3

It would appear that they very well could be very dangerous. The DOT four didgit code will tell you date of manufacture. The first two didgits are the week of the year. Eg. 23...would mean the 23rd week of the year. A dot code of 2304 means twenty-third week of 2004, for instance. Start by finding your dot code stamped on the tire. If it is over five years, you should have the tires professionally inspected. Tires with crack like those in your photo look more than questionable, imho. Be safe....good that you posted the question. JJ
Old 01-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #4

You did not state who manufactured your tires. But there is a recall on certain Class C Michelin Tires. Check it out here.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #5

From what I can see , the date on tires are 6 years old, now just the drivers front and rear are cracked , I have dual in back so I can't tell the ones on the inside, can I just replace the ones that are bad, or all?
Old 01-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Heart of your Coach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano View Post
From what I can see , the date on tires are 6 years old, now just the drivers front and rear are cracked , I have dual in back so I can't tell the ones on the inside, can I just replace the ones that are bad, or all?
You do not want a tire failure on vacation or anytime for that matter, Just replace them all and be done with it, the new rubber will make your Coach ride like a new one and you will say to your self.......should of done this sooner........Cracked rubber is a sign of them not flexing and being hard. New rubber flexes and you will love the ride from the new tires!
Old 01-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
You do not want a tire failure on vacation or anytime for that matter, Just replace them all and be done with it, the new rubber will make your Coach ride like a new one and you will say to your self.......should of done this sooner........Cracked rubber is a sign of them not flexing and being hard. New rubber flexes and you will love the ride from the new tires!
X2. Tires aren't something to press your luck on. I would never put us or others on the road with in jeopardy. With 6 YO tires and cracks, you're asking for trouble.
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #8

If it's just one side, my guess is that is the side facing the sun when it is stored. I would get them inspected by a professional, and expect to replace all 6.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #9

Yes, rather safe then sorry , I'll be replacing all 6, Thanks for input all
Old 01-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
The ride with the new tire's....

Quote:
Yes, rather safe then sorry , I'll be replacing all 6, Thanks for input all
If you can find this post of yours when you have the new tires.....let us know what you think.......Safe travels to ya.........
Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
I had an inside dual tread separate last summer on a local trip. There where some small cracks, not nearly as bad as yours. I figured they would be OK on a short trip (less than 100 miles) at 60mph or less.
Long story short, if that tire had been on the other side of the coach, I feel for certain it would have wiped out both the gray and black water tanks.
As it turned out, it was on the other side and put a really big dent in the underside of the coach.
It nearly ruined our mini-vacation and it wasn't easy to change on the side of the road. When we got home, I got new tires the very next week.

As others have said, you'll probably never come close to wearing the new tires out and it will break you heart to scrap those "like new" tread tires.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #12

Don't travel on tires like yours. I had a cheap BIL head to the Keys from Ohio with a similar situation. Blew all 6 before he got there. Damaged skirting on M/H, spend a lot of time on the side of the road. New tires cost him $100.00 more on the road than they would have at home. I am going to bet they are Michelins, I have had very lousy luck with their tires and they will not stand behind their product.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tire brand???

Quote:
Couple of my tires show hairline cracking on the outside tire wall, are they ok, there is still a lot of tread on them, I don't know how old they are, here's a pic

Attachment 54226
Well as your thread slows .......and you know what you have to do now.....what kind of tires are in the photo(On your Coach now) that cracked??
Old 01-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #14

Uniroyal, Laredo