Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
To C or not to C

DW thinks a C might be better than the TT for the trip part. I agree with that but once we arrive I can't see not having a vehicle to get around in. I don't want a toad either. Were some of you thinking like me and are now convinced a C is the way to go? We like state parks, destination parks like fort wilderness, etc, really all kinds of parks. And we usually take several kids and their friends. To C or not to C...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #2

We had a C for 7 years. Unhook/rehook and putting everything away inside for every trip to town or sight seeing got old.
Added a toad which provided less work, more freedom, and 30+ mpg away from the C.
Just sayin....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We decided that we do better with a trailer and a truck. It is a minor inconvenience to have to stop and go back to the trailer for a potty stop, but we only have one drive train to deal with.

In a C you have to keep all of the occupants belted in for safety. When we had a motorhome, you are not allowed up and unbelted except for a short time and not when in traffic.

Ken
Old 01-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We went from towable to C and liked it so much we bought a class A! With small kids and our preference to "get there" by driving at night it was a pain transferring the kids to the trailer, which was always too warm/cold etc. DW likes the ability to get up, make meals, etc. as needed, the kids stay at the dinette (has belts) and have stuff set up on the table to play with.

At first DW did not like the idea of a toad but said if I could do it for a reasonable price she'd go along, well it turns out she loves it and now we take it on most trips even through we sometimes don't use it. The toad doubles as our bike and PortaBote carrier.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #5

Re one drive train to deal with. Well this is true, and one could say flying in a single engine aircraft is safer than a multi engine equipped aircraft because there is a much higher probability of an engine failure with more engines. Hummmm

But I would much prefer to have redundant features under any circumstance. I have had to use my toad when my coach was temporairly disabled in a very remote area where there was no cell service. Glad I had another option.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #6

I would say you need to consider how much you are going to RV. Trailers are just fine sitting around for many months until you are ready to take that next big excursion. Motorhomes require some attention each month.

Another thing is budget. Unquestionably, a truck and trailer is much cheaper than a motorhome and toad. Same for the ongoing maintenance costs. If you can justify having a truck around for daily use, then all the better.

Now as far and convenience and the luxury of a motorhome vs trailer? Well, there are many posts on that topic. With power jacks and all the things you can get on them now, it may be a tougher arguement one way or the other.

So really, it's a numbers game and you have to decide what it's all worth to you.
Good luck on your decision!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Re one drive train to deal with. Well this is true, and one could say flying in a single engine aircraft is safer than a multi engine equipped aircraft because there is a much higher probability of an engine failure with more engines. Hummmm

But I would much prefer to have redundant features under any circumstance. I have had to use my toad when my coach was temporairly disabled in a very remote area where there was no cell service. Glad I had another option.
I do not depend on cell service...I have the VHF/uhf and HF radio in the truck. Seldom, I cannot find someone that I can talk to for help.

Another issue is getting even a class C worked on and serviced. Most Ford dealers and such will not work on a class c or A chassis. They will refer you to a commercial vehicle shop. My F350 can be taken to any ford dealer.

Ken
Old 01-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #8

After having a toad, it was too convenient and so easy to tow. I cannot go back.
And when my motorhome has trouble, I can still get somewhere, not be stranded anywhere. Did that once.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some trips we bring the toad, some we do not - mainly depending on how much local travel at the destination we will do. We are a family and hooking and unhooking for local use would be a pain as the kids get "settled" with their stuff after we set up camp. We like our 2003 Chevy Tracker as a toad - inexpensive and light.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #10

I went from tenting to class A so didn't get the TT experience. But after watching friends and family setup camp, level off, unhook TT, unload genny.....etc.....etc. seems like it takes them 3 hrs both ways.

With the class A it takes 10 min to stow outdoor furniture, rug and BBQ and about 5 min to warm engine, disengage levelers and pull in slide while DW is strapping down the little ones.

Ready to hit the road (usually do at least one walk around just to double check everything( usually glad I did)).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1625763450.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	553.5 KB
ID:	32358  
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've tented, apache popup trailer (plastic sides), and owned a travel trailer before our class c. I absolutely love the quick setup and takedown of a motorhome. Hooking up or unhooking the toad is also very fast. (roadmaster falcon all-terrain). We also camp in several places that limit RV length.

Hands down using a motorhome is our favorite, especially the flexibility on the road to move from a seat to another, enjoy a snack, etc We've found travel fatigue to be less. My only wish is that there were better safety options than lap belts for passengers not in the front seats.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Experience limited to As and Bs but they are basically the same as C's for setup coming and going. Like others I have watched folks with popups and trailers spend a good deal more time at it. But that said - it seems to me you can get good at it with any of them. It's a process as you know and organization is the key to success. I'm not sure why you don't want a toad - similar to towing a "house". At one time I thought about a TT behind the B. Drop the trailer - kids sleep in the B and it's free to roam with a quick unhooking.

It's a big decision and there are some great options in all classes and types. You need to think about how you will use what - most often. Just keep in mind that the carrying capacity will probably end up dictating what you can do with any unit type. Kids - friends - and stuff add up fast. Good luck.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote