RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2019, 06:20 AM   #1

Toad, 25' Sprinter Chassis, Full time?

I was wondering how many folks live full time in 25' (or there about) Spinter based chassis Class C (or B+) and pull a tow vehicle. Can you discuss the pros and cons of your experiences with this rig set up, please?

We currently have a Class B and intend on keeping it for a few more years but we're looking at future full time rigs for when we fully retire. I love a lot of the Class A models however the size and expense of operation is higher than I want to spend.

I love the Wayfarer, however it's OCCC is a problem. I also love the Navion 24V but I currently own a WGO and frankly some of their quality and workmanship is disappointing. I love the LTV Wonder but the Transit chassis can't pull as much as a Sprinter. The Pleasure Way models are only 22 some odd feet. Any other brands that you can suggest? I prefer the Twin Bed models.

Thank you for your responses.

Chris Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 06:30 AM   #2

I would recommend the V or N 24V, as we have one, and like it a lot. I think you're aware of the weight/load limits of the Sprinter chassis already, and that's going to limit what you can do with it, as far as full timing in one, but that's a decision to downsize or go "minimalist" that's up to you.

As far as towing, we're close to the GCWR while pulling our 4500lb Wrangler, but the Navion does it effortlessly. We average around 15mpg solo, and about 13mpg pulling, if that matters at all.

I can't think of another twin bed layout that will work better for you. Some LTV owners say they like them, but I noted from their brochures that a lot of the WGO standard equipment, is optional on the LTV units.

Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #3

What about the Thor Axis with the twin bed layout? I'm guessing lots of the Thor quality concerns are overblown. But that model would get you all the benefits of a Ford class C-- cheap maintenance, a heavy chassis with a good tow rating, and reliability. And presumably would offer more driving comfort than a Ford C. I might have looked hard at one, but I didn't want any slides.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #4

I may be wrong, but I thought the Axis and Vegas were built on the E350 chassis, and that conjured up some of the OCCC issues that the Sprinters/Transits/Promasters have to deal with?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hayden View Post
I love a lot of the Class A models however the size and expense of operation is higher than I want to spend.

I prefer the Twin Bed models.

Thank you for your responses.
Hi Chris,

If concerned of "expense of operation" then a Sprinter chassis might be ruled out for it's cost of maintenance. Over-all operational expense is competitive on a Ford E350/E450 or Chevy 3500/4500 with everything considered.

There are many happy owners of the twin bed Phoenix Cruiser models 2551 and 2552. They are great for full-timing. If you want more elbow room, then consider model 3100.

My personal preference is model 2552 without the optional slide out....I just don't care for slide outs in-general. Paying multi-thousands more per slide out, I feel is better spent on other features. But that is surely a matter of taste.

The beauty of having a tow vehicle is that the average fuel economy of the two vehicles combined works to an advantage. If full-timing, the advantage increases.

Ron Dittmer
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:54 AM   #6

When considering LTV why did you rule out the Unity and Serenity? We have a new Serenity with the 19 Chassis. Did 9K miles in it this summer and it performed flawlessly. Only other Class C we considered was the Wayfarer but as you’re aware, the load capacity makes it a no-go. Averaging almost 17 MPG pulling our toad and feel like we could full time with very few modifications.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hayden View Post
The Pleasure Way models are only 22 some odd feet.
We have a Pleasure Way XLMB with the Murphy bed.
I don't know about full timing but we take ours for a one month trip every year and feel we could go much longer when we retire.
The 22'9" Pleasure Way is so easy to drive and park we never feel that we need a toad.
Might feel different if we were full timing.

So far, two years an 20,000 miles and the MB sprinter and the Pleasure Way build has been perfect.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Personal opinion - full timing is not for the Sprinter based units. At least a 36 ft Class A with washer and dryer is big enough for two and will still fit in state and national parks.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I may be wrong, but I thought the Axis and Vegas were built on the E350 chassis, and that conjured up some of the OCCC issues that the Sprinters/Transits/Promasters have to deal with?
Not anymore--they're now on E450 chassis. I think for the last couple years.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a sprinter Isata3 25 ft Class C for 18 months before replacing it with a Class A for room.
We had a toad as well and had no problems doing so.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
When considering LTV why did you rule out the Unity and Serenity? We have a new Serenity with the 19 Chassis. Did 9K miles in it this summer and it performed flawlessly. Only other Class C we considered was the Wayfarer but as you’re aware, the load capacity makes it a no-go. Averaging almost 17 MPG pulling our toad and feel like we could full time with very few modifications.
I actually did also consider the Unity and Serenity LTVs, however when matching up against the Navion, the Navion has a lot more standard features that are options on the LTVs. Such as the 200 watts of solar, inverter, AGM batteries, etc.
Also, I much prefer the compressor fridge over the three way.

I have a Travato now, so I'm very familiar with the WGO solar and battery set up and I'm very happy with that aspect of the unit. We boondock a lot and the solar set up comes in handy.

Thank you for pointing out those other units, I do appreciate your response and suggestions.
Chris Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:51 AM   #12

Regardless of which brand I highly recommend paying the premium to get the new VS30 Chassis. Plenty of YouTube videos on the features.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #13

Any Sprinter based class C is going to have an OCCC issue or concern. Wayfarer, tends to be built on the heavier side. My response to your question is that I hope you two are real good friends because that Sprinter is going to get real small, over time, for full timing. We had a MBS for 2 years, and the last big trip - about 6 or 7 weeks, put me over the edge and we went to a class A, with both room and capacity. It may work for you, but I'd suggest you go spend a day in one, at an RV dealer and go through your daily motions and see what you end up thinking. If you could rent one for a period of time, that would be even better.

HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, full time, toad