Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #1

Toilet not holding water

Start to get a little annoyed with finding something wrong every trip....last trip the awning latch broke. This time the light switch for my entry lights broke. Also, my toilet tank isn't holding the water it used to. I am assuming it may have something to do with the temp changes here. Just Friday was close to 90 and today it was only i. The upper 50's. Is the seal easy to change or is there something I can do prior to changing the seal? Btw, my rig is an 08 Coachmen Freelander 3150ss.
Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #2

Sorry I spelled Toilet wrong in the title.....it's hard typing on the iPhone!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #3

Our toilet has not kept water in it for quite a while now. While it might be a pain, for us it is not something that we are going to mess with. We just add some water when we need to use it. Besides it helps save a little water on long boondocking trips. As far as switches and latches go, they tend to take a lot of abuse and are used alot. I carry extra switches with me and change them if need be. Else wise I just take care of any problems when we get home. Our motor homes are not much different then our homes, in that they seem to always need reapirs.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #4

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

You might have some calcium buildup or other forign material around the ball and seal area ( I did ). Take an old tooth brush and a little cleanser and clean the seal area and ball. This has worked for me. If not you most likely need a new seal.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have discovered that if I let my foot slide off the flush pedal so that the mechanism "slams" shut, my toilet seals everytime. I also clean the calcium deposits off by pressing torn strips of paper towels around the edges of the ball (after cleaning toilet) and pour in just enough white vinegar to wet the paper. Let set overnight. If you pour too much vinegar into your black water tank you'll kill the bacteria that help break down the waste.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
I've had this problem, and I figured an easy fix: Clean the toilet well, working the brush down into the tube just below the seal/paddle, to completely clean any trapped paper out of the groove the paddle slides into. Then flush to the point where there is no or very little water over the seal, in other words an empty toilet. Pour in about a quarter inch of vegetable oil (olive, canola, whatever, but vegetable NOT petroleum) and let it sit overnight. Then refill and flush.

I'm not sure why this has worked (more than once). I think it is just a matter of "lubing" the paddle/ball, or maybe the oil migrates so it somehow "reconstitutes" the rubber ring around the seal. Try it, and let me know if it worked for you.... I know this seems crazy, but it has worked really well and lasts for a long time, like years. And it only costs a few minutes and ten cents worth of olive oil. Good luck.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #7

If you remove the pot off of the pedestal there is a replaceable rubber gasket, if yours is like mine is. I think i have a sea-land toilet, the parts are available on line. And i am needing to change mine also, hope this helps
Old 04-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
I've had this problem, and I figured an easy fix: Clean the toilet well, working the brush down into the tube just below the seal/paddle, to completely clean any trapped paper out of the groove the paddle slides into. Then flush to the point where there is no or very little water over the seal, in other words an empty toilet. Pour in about a quarter inch of vegetable oil (olive, canola, whatever, but vegetable NOT petroleum) and let it sit overnight. Then refill and flush.

I'm not sure why this has worked (more than once). I think it is just a matter of "lubing" the paddle/ball, or maybe the oil migrates so it somehow "reconstitutes" the rubber ring around the seal. Try it, and let me know if it worked for you.... I know this seems crazy, but it has worked really well and lasts for a long time, like years. And it only costs a few minutes and ten cents worth of olive oil. Good luck.
I use a toilet chemical that has palm oil in it. So far I've never had to change a gasket since I started RV'ing (1957).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #9

I have a Sealand Toilet. I just redid all the seals.

The water in the bowl aides as a "water trap" to keep the oders in the tank..

Its very simple and a screwdriver and a small wrench is all that is needed to do the repairs.

You could also try a "quick fix" for your problem. Take a long handled q-tip and run it around the edge of the black seal as you hold the toilet open to see if any debris or smudge have caused a break in the seal. Sometimes a piece of paper gets caught and once it drys causes a small beak int he seal.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #10

If you clean the calcium and paper and debris bits from the seal and then lubricate it with silicone lubricant, it should seal well. I use a spray siicone but the grease is probably better. Some people use Vaseline. I was told by the Dometic service people to never use petroleum products on the seal as it would damage them. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #11

I had the same problem, and after lubricating the seal, etc, etc, I bought a new Thetford, and self-installed it, which wasn't too bad. Prior to doing this, I would recommend draining and flushing the black tank!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post

This works for us in the years past!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Check this post out, and read my advice - it's the 3rd one from the top.

If you follow my instructions, I am willing to bet the coldest beer in town on the hottest day you can imagine, that this will solve your problem.

Try it!!! I will be looking forward to enjoying a cold beer with you whenever we run into each other somewhere.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #14

Funny, I can't hold water as long as I used to either.

Tags
water