RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #1

Toilet room

What is the smallest you can make an RV toilet room and be able to lean forward on you elbows, do what needs to be done to clean, etc?

I'm thinking about taking one of the booth seats out and a Pantry cabinet and putting a toilet room behind the passenger seat of the van in my 1985 20' Minnie Winnie WC420RG.

I would be okay if it's a slight squeeze into the van cabin from the house side if the toilet room stuck out some, but I'm wondering if there is a rule of thumb / minimum size and what size to stay away from. I should be able to get 24" width from the Pantry and 20" to 24" width from the booth seat minus walls, and the booth seems to be at least 42" deep ( it's currently at my friend's house and I an working too much the next few days to get over and measure, but I think it's about right).

I guess I could leave my toilet and the tank below it, right where it is, and add a 36x36 shower kit plus walls, behind the van seat instead of a toilet, then route the drain over to the tanks, or even create a sump pump drain box at a minimum, but I am used to boats with sumps and don't know about a sump pump in RVs (prob not to code).

I have room for adding weight bc it's only a 20 on same chassis as 24+'. I already planned on taking out the furnace, hot water heater, pantry, built in booth wood box, etc. I'm going to go to a scale and see what it's at with gear and fluids vs my specs, before I do it.

So let me know about room sizes, issues you see, etc. The current toilet room size is okay, I have been in a 36x 48 shower and it was fine. 36x36 might be tight. We just don't like the shower in the toilet room currently.

Stewfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 01:25 AM   #2

In reality, I think the size needed for the toilet room is going to depend a lot on the size of the people using it. I would need something larger to be comfortable but my daughter who is 95 pounds and 5'1" could fit in a much smaller space with no problems.

jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Perhaps you could mock something up in your home bathroom, or in your current toilet room. Make a cardboard "wall" and see how small you could go.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:58 AM   #4

The current room size is okay for the toilet at 28x36. So I was thinking remove the wardrobe and booth add a different bench system I liked better than a booth. Then separate the awkward shower/toilet combo that my 20 ft Minnie Winnie has and add another "28x36" room or a bit longer at 40" or 42" on the passenger side behind the van seat. With the toilet facing the driver side. The wardrobe which is useless to me is 21" so I would only loose 7 inches of the booth space. Without the wardrobe in the way to the back bench/bed it will be an overall larger social/kitchen space.

Can a black water drain go from the toilet back over to the driver's side where the black water tank is. The issue is the propane would be under the passenger side so I would have to take out that system and have someone set up something for portable tanks instead, or move the built in tank in order to put the black water tank on the passenger side.

If it won't be feasible without getting clogs every other day that leaves finding a new 28x36 shower pan for the new room and draining over to the grey tank, but I'm having trouble finding a shower pan that small or even 28x40 or 28x42 for under $500 compared to some that are under $200 for 36x36.

I get that there is not a normal "flush" to carry stuff over to the black water tank. Enlighten me on the ways of RV construction, propane, RV shower pan options, etc. I was thinking FRP or the now popular corrugated roofing for shower walls so a create pan idea is not beyond my scope, but I don't want a luandry bin shower
Stewfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:28 AM   #5

You could go with a composting toilet that will eliminate the need for a black tank connection. Certainly not for everyone but I would never go back to the flushing commode in my RV.
There are many different designs on the market although I have the Natures Head (no affiliation).
swuebbels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet