Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-30-2016, 04:10 AM   #29
I saw all of the pictures you have posted, what a challenge. My hat is off to you sir, and may your project turn out as you have planned. The work you have done so far is tremendous and it is amazing how much effort you put in that new floor! I am anxious to follow this thread now and watch your project come to fruition. Nice work!

greggshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #30
Fleetwood Owners Club
You may want to consider Seitz Windows. They are much lighter, double pane, have built in screens, etc. This would allow you to have some large windows to let in light. They are very common in Europe RVs where weight is a bigger issue than here. Winnebago and others are starting to use them in the US as well.

We have one of the clear, opening skylights in our RV and really like it. I have also toured RVs that have them as well.

History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #31
Jayco Owners Club
Originally Posted by greggshere View Post
I saw all of the pictures you have posted, what a challenge. My hat is off to you sir, and may your project turn out as you have planned. The work you have done so far is tremendous and it is amazing how much effort you put in that new floor! I am anxious to follow this thread now and watch your project come to fruition. Nice work!
My goodness!!! Same here. Fantastic job and so far what an amazing result. Just reading and looking at what you have done to this point - it's plain to see you have the drive, determination, and skill set to make a wonderful motorhome you can call your own.

What do you plan to do the front cab? Anything?
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
mc8404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:14 PM   #32
Thanks for the responses. I plan on reusing some of the original windows. Amazingly they are in really good shape and will do for what I have planned. I also have purchased 3 skylights. One fixed and 2 hinged with fans in them. Obviously these are RV skylights because of design.The front cab is a really big thought process for me. I am going over some ideas at the moment. I know for sure it won't be as big or used to sleep in. I was thinking of just making more head space with a cabinet on the right and left side. I really could use some good ideas if anybody has any.
pchaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:53 AM   #33
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=pchaz1;3231917I thought of using cedar but am concerned with all the seams. That is a lot of area for air to work its way in while driving down the road. Also, when you consider how our of level this thing is using 4x8 sheets of t-111 makes it pretty easy to float the framing behind it. The box won't be crooked looking when I am done because I plan on using the siding to dictate the overall framing. Every piece is custom cut...[/QUOTE]
When I suggested using cedar, I was not talking about planks. They would not work. I was referring to 4X8 sheets that look exactly like T-111 except weight about a third as much as much.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:04 AM   #34
Just looked at the pictures, quite the project.

I was going to suggest looking for a damaged motorhome from a similar year and modifying that to fit (saw one in a scrapyard recently with front end damage and the motor removed, but the 'house' looked OK). But it looks like you're way beyond that point now anyway.

Good luck. I have a 1990, but in better shape, from what I can tell, still it's quite sobering looking at your pictures.

1990 Glendale Royal Classic
2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:17 AM   #35
That sure is coming along nicely.
I still think you should go with the filon for the exterior walls.
Out of curiosity, did you find any part of that "house", that didn't need a complete rebuild ?
Oops, I see you already answered my question in one of your previous posts - never mind.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:16 PM   #36
Sorry for the misunderstanding ga traveler. I am going to look into that as I agree that would be a great alternative. I also have had a talk with a place out of CA about aluminum siding but its pretty pricey to ship the product to me in CT. Anybody know of a place that will cut the siding local to me in CT? I keep looking at my 2013 TT set up and it has aluminum siding. As much labor as I am investing in this build I really want my RV to look good. I don't want it to look like it was slapped together in the back yard lol even if its being slapped together in the back yard.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:16 AM   #37
The Elkhart Ind. area should be able to provide you with about anything in the way of siding you could ever think of.

Extruded aluminum panels (countless different patterns) in about any width, about any length, and many different colors are commonly supplied to RV dealers doing collision work on "stick built" coaches. They are light weight, have interlocking seams similar to house siding, and might be a great option for a DIY project like this. Not super expensive either...

Was commonly used on earlier travel trailers and motor homes prior to the now common laminated type construction.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:43 AM   #38
I'm kind of with you on the rebuild idea. The MH isn't really in that bad of shape, but I hate the layout.
I have to be honest..it's not really a place for us to live or even travel. I just love doing this kind of stuff.
I'm thinking of gutting the interior and relocating nearly everything, plumbing, wiring and possibly even the entry door.
What types of paneling lends itself to RV exteriors and what's involved in replacing windows?
I have a hunch that if I do start digging into things I might find more rot than i want . With a 20 year old RV it already has about 900 pounds of old sealant on the seams. It's not as if I can't rebuild the entire thing, but is it worth the effort with a 20 year old engine and transmission? It runs good, but I'd really hate to rebuild the entire back end only to have to turn around and have to dig the engine out. I've taken one engine out of a van and that was a nightmare..
martyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:37 AM   #39
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow! When you said you had some rot! Great job so far, and I suggest you look thru the "Total Rebuild" thread in the vintage section! It will give you some really good ideas. Terry, rebuilt a old 5th wheel, and it ended up to be a total remake also! You will answer most all of the questions you have ask in that thread! Also, he has started on his Tot'r, and it will give you some insite too! For the front, I would go online, search for class B/C MH's with the entertainment center in the front bed area! A lot of great idea's from the manufactures, and then you can do your spin on their idea's! As for the siding, you can do the alum. in sheets, as Terry did on the total rebuild, or you can look at Pikers rebuild of his DP siding, "New Exterior Siding" thread in the vintage section, as he replace the whole side of his MH in two sections of Alum.! You have some serious talent, and I aplaude you! Rail!
Retired, and "Always on Holiday!"
1996 Monaco Windsor 38' "Mona" 275 HP., 8.3 Cummins, 3060 Allison 6 speed
guardrail53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:39 AM   #40
I read Terry's thread...at least some of it..lol. His project looks alot like mine. I knew I wasn't the only one. I am almost ready to begin the siding and roofing of my RV. I have decided on the lighter 3/8" T-111 because I am going to have a cabin look. I love cabins and wood and so far I haven't see any that look like mine will. I will try to make the inside look like a rustic cabin but without the weight. I am a gutter guy by trade so will be using .032 aluminum for the skirt and maybe some effects. Obviously I have to use some gutter coil for this build so I have conversation pieces. Everybody that knows me will appreciate this part of the build. Once my family and I did a ginger house build at a Christmas parts and I used straws to build gutters and downspouts and we won! I won't be using gutters but I will be using some of the material.
I will put more pics on my google link once I take the tarps off this beast and get some good views of what I have done.
I am now in a race against snow to get the siding on and painted and the roof installed. Its 9-13...can I do this before it gets too cold????:
Old 09-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #41
I also like challenges like yours. Good luck
osideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:35 PM   #42
That's more work than I thought. You are a great worker. Very nice job. I have a project to do but not as big. I am about to re-do my shower ceiling and walls in the bathroom.

osideboy is offline   Reply With Quote

class c