Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #15

CbtEngr,
Thanks for your reply. I called Winnebago and Ready Brake this morning and had long discussions. I came away having confidence I can tow my Xterra, but as you suggest, I'll be keeping a sharp eye on the hitch assembly, riser, tow bar, etc. for any signs of stress, fatigue, or pending failure. And I, too, will take it on a test drive (or two or three) before we get underway to see how the rig performs and what stresses and strains I see. I'm not new to RVing, just towing a vehicle.
Thanks again,
Hiker Rob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
towing

I've be working on the same issue. Trying to decide if I can tow or not and if "yes" what can I tow. We have a Melbourne 29D with E450.
On a resent trip I saw and spoke to a bunch of rv'ers who had the same E450 with a larger coach and there towing something that I would have thought would have exceded their weight. Some by a LOT. They did not seem to concerned about total weight. Said it tows "ok".
We are looking at a Jeep Sport. Anyone know the details on towing this?
List of what needs to be done would really help.
I'm a newbee at this!

tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #17

Yes, I made the frame extension into a closed box to provide more strength if ever needed.
Bjsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjsrv View Post
Look under your rig at the frame where the hitch is welded on. You will see why the Mfg sets the limits they do. On my rig I boxed the extended frame which made me feel much more comfortable about putting any stress on the stock hitch. I think you may have a 350 lb limit on tongue weight which really isn't much especially if you put on added leverage of a drop hitch.
When towing 4 down I fail to see how the tongue weight limit would come into play. The only "tongue weight" would be the weight of the towbar, cables, etc. I would guest-a-mate mine is around 45-55lbs. But totally come into play if the toad was on a dolly or trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerRob View Post
CbtEngr,
Thanks for your reply. I called Winnebago and Ready Brake this morning and had long discussions. I came away having confidence I can tow my Xterra, but as you suggest, I'll be keeping a sharp eye on the hitch assembly, riser, tow bar, etc. for any signs of stress, fatigue, or pending failure. And I, too, will take it on a test drive (or two or three) before we get underway to see how the rig performs and what stresses and strains I see. I'm not new to RVing, just towing a vehicle.
Thanks again,
Hiker Rob
Cool! I never called anyone just did research on different forums and searches online. Makes me feel better also, so thanks for that info. One of the main selling points for me was the surge brakes. I've been towing things for the past 25 years or so and I'm really comfortable with them. Plus I like the mechanics of surge brakes versus relying on electric to make the toad's brakes work. When I ordered my system I also ordered the break-away system and the in-dash LED monitor.

After looking at the hitch assembly again tonight the weak link is going to be the 6 bolts (Hopefully they are grade 8, I forget what the highest grade is, but I'm sure 6 of them can handle the force exerted on them and shouldn't be an issue.) attaching the hitch to the frame. The inertia from the toad pushing the hitch and extension would transfer the energy straight into the frame, I'm good with that. I also took a tape measure to the extension. I'm about 4' 2" worth. So I can see why the tongue weight is lower than normal for a Class III hitch. But again if you are towing 4-down it shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
I've be working on the same issue. Trying to decide if I can tow or not and if "yes" what can I tow. We have a Melbourne 29D with E450.
On a resent trip I saw and spoke to a bunch of rv'ers who had the same E450 with a larger coach and there towing something that I would have thought would have exceded their weight. Some by a LOT. They did not seem to concerned about total weight. Said it tows "ok".
I'm a newbee at this!
Hey MasterGuns! Motorhome magazine has dingey towing guides (2001-2010 for free, the link is in post #5). That was my first stop when I started to research and they will give you lots of options and if there are any special restrictions for towing that vehicle. The Jeep Wrangler is very popular as is Saturns and Honda. Starting in 2010 the Jeep removed the steering wheel lock from the Wrangler, this comes into play when you hook up your tow vehicle and allievates some extra steps. It really is simple to get the vehicle ready to tow. I never owned a Jeep before this one and I have to tell you it's a blast! Easy to work on and lots of DIY modifications. If you want to chat some more give me a shout.

Quick run down of equipment needed to tow:
  1. Baseplate (a receiver for the front of the tow vehicle, Blue Ox is popular) but there are other options e.g. tow dolly, trailer etc
  2. Some way of making the toad's brake lights work (really easy for the Jeep couple different options for this)
  3. Wiring from the motorhome to the toad for said lights
  4. safety cables
  5. Break away system?
  6. Some way to make the toad's brakes work (surge or that suitcase thingy (that's a technical term ya know ), Brake buddy is one. You will get the idea once you start to research.
  7. Some way to notify you your toad's brakes are actually working (LED, little monitor etc)
Costs:
  1. 300-900 for a baseplate
  2. 40-60
  3. 40-60
  4. 50-60
  5. 100
  6. 40-50
  7. 35-100
I think I spent close to $1600 for everything. If you go the "Brake buddy" way for braking be prepared to spend 1200-1600 just for that piece.

Semper Fi Brother!
CbtEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks
A great start on the project.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
I'm a newbee at this!
The Jayco literature on the Melbourne 29d says it will tow a vehicle up to 5000lbs. Goggle Motorhome magazine (I think)or Google towing 4 wheels down and they have a 2011 towing guide you can download and it shows what vehicles can be towed 4 wheels down. We have been looking at a Chevrolet Equinox 4 cylinder, front wheel drive but there are several others. You should look for the vehicle that requires the least amount of procedures to tow. Demco, Roadmaster, Blue Ox are other sites to look at.

cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing