Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Towing

Will my Itasca Winnebago be able to tow something like a Jeep Wrangler?
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We really need to know about your rig to give you a good answer. Itasca makes a wide range of coaches. You can get your GVWR and CGVWR from placques inside your rig. That, and the weight of the Wrangler will get your answer.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Me again FLIGHTSIMMER before we bought our Impulse we bought a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (the 4 door). You will be able to tow 5000 lbs. with yours and your GCVW can't exceed 20000lbs.

The Wranglers come in around 3800-4200 depending on your choice of model and options installed. So you should be fine. Remember though when towing your MPG could go as low as 5 depending on how heavy your foot is also Motorhome magazine has Digney towing guides for the last 5-6 years, if you wanted to see what all is available. Don't forget you will have to get all the equipment to actually tow the vehicle. You will have to decided if you are going to tow 4 down or with a dolly. That will determine what other equipment you will need.

The 2011 Jeep Wranger will tow 4 door with out any modifications to the vehicle except your choice of braking system, lights, baseplate, etc.

If you like I can PM you what equipment I bought for ours and what I researched. There are lots of options and I just went through the majority of them in the last 2-3 months.

Congrats again and good luck!!! Happy Memories!
CbtEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbtEngr View Post
Me again FLIGHTSIMMER before we bought our Impulse we bought a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (the 4 door). You will be able to tow 5000 lbs. with yours and your GCVW can't exceed 20000lbs.

The Wranglers come in around 3800-4200 depending on your choice of model and options installed. So you should be fine. Remember though when towing your MPG could go as low as 5 depending on how heavy your foot is also Motorhome magazine has Digney towing guides for the last 5-6 years, if you wanted to see what all is available. Don't forget you will have to get all the equipment to actually tow the vehicle. You will have to decided if you are going to tow 4 down or with a dolly. That will determine what other equipment you will need.

The 2011 Jeep Wranger will tow 4 door with out any modifications to the vehicle except your choice of braking system, lights, baseplate, etc.

If you like I can PM you what equipment I bought for ours and what I researched. There are lots of options and I just went through the majority of them in the last 2-3 months.

Congrats again and good luck!!! Happy Memories!
I don't have the Wrangler yet but I am not sure what to buy as my wife's Jetta is getting long in in the tooth and one day will be replaced, but we want something that can be towed behind the RV.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As I said you will want to check out Motorhome's towing guides to see what your options are. At this link Dinghy Towing and Dinghy Guide they have links from 2002 - 2010 downloadable guides (top right side of the above page).
Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
Will my Itasca Winnebago be able to tow something like a Jeep Wrangler?
Are you aware that Consumer Reports lists the Wrangler as below average in reliability and crash-worthiness?

Just sayin'
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Are you aware that Consumer Reports lists the Wrangler as below average in reliability and crash-worthiness?

Just sayin'
yeah that is what scares me.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2004 30' Class C Itasca with V10 and it pulls my 2 door 2010
Wrangler just fine here in CO. BTW, my research says you do not
need to tow it with the key on. Somewhere around 2009 the steering
wheel no longer locks. The owners manual apparently lies. However,
you should verify that for yourself. I was very pleased to be able
to skip disconnecting the battery like the owners manual asserts.

BTW, just enjoy your Wrangler, the heck with Consumer Reports.
CR also complains about the ride of a Wrangler .. get serious, its
a real Jeep for cryin out loud.

Allan
2004 Itasca Sundancer
2010 Wrangler (and loving it!)
04Sundancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Sundancer View Post
I have a 2004 30' Class C Itasca with V10 and it pulls my 2 door 2010
Wrangler just fine here in CO. BTW, my research says you do not
need to tow it with the key on. Somewhere around 2009 the steering
wheel no longer locks. The owners manual apparently lies. However,
you should verify that for yourself. I was very pleased to be able
to skip disconnecting the battery like the owners manual asserts.

BTW, just enjoy your Wrangler, the heck with Consumer Reports.
CR also complains about the ride of a Wrangler .. get serious, its
a real Jeep for cryin out loud.

Allan
2004 Itasca Sundancer
2010 Wrangler (and loving it!)
I had an old XJ and I do need something tow able that is 4000LBS or under that can go off road.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #10

Hello, CbtEngr,
Two weeks ago I bought a 2011 Itasca Impulse 31N. I have a 2004 Nissan Xterra (about 4,000 lbs) to which I’ve already added a Blue Ox base plate. I have the Ready Brake Elite in hand, ready to be installed in a couple of days. But I discovered I’ll need a 4" hi-low adapter in the riser position on the back of the Impulse (16½" from center of receiver to ground) to match the base plate height (21" from center of clevis pin holes to ground) to achieve a level tow bar.
But I’m getting nervous. My Itasca 2011 Operator's Manual, p. 12-3, says "We do not recommend the usage of a "surge-style" braking device. The usage of a surge brake (especially when coupled with a hitch ball located outside our recommended limits (8" max horizontally from hitch pin to ball and 4" maximum drop)) places excessive stress on the hitch. This abuse of the ball mount and the hitch may cause premature hitch assembly failure."
Should I not use a Ready Break surge brake because of the above statement, and because of the 4" hi-low adapter in the riser position? I’m afraid the Xterra will put too much torque stress on the receiver bar.
Can you comment, please? What has been your experience with the Ready Brake? Do you use a hi-low riser? Have you pulled up and down hills or mountains, or just on the level? Is there anything else I need to know? Should I abandon my plans for the Ready Brake and go with a modulated system as recommended by Itasca?
Thank you for your help,
HikerRob
HikerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #11

Look under your rig at the frame where the hitch is welded on. You will see why the Mfg sets the limits they do. On my rig I boxed the extended frame which made me feel much more comfortable about putting any stress on the stock hitch. I think you may have a 350 lb limit on tongue weight which really isn't much especially if you put on added leverage of a drop hitch.
Bjsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post

Just sayin'
I don't trust what consumer Reports say on bit.
My 99 Wranglers is the most reliable vehicle i have ever had. I bought it in 05 and it had 82K miles on it then. 80K later is is just great. In that time it has needed 1 heater fan switch and 1 wheel bearing unit. ($150 total).
I am so glad I traded in that 97 Honda CRV on it.
To Me Consumer Reports is too rough to sell for good toilet paper.
So I use it for a camp fire starter.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerRob View Post
Hello, CbtEngr,
Two weeks ago I bought a 2011 Itasca Impulse 31N. I have a 2004 Nissan Xterra (about 4,000 lbs) to which I’ve already added a Blue Ox base plate. I have the Ready Brake Elite in hand, ready to be installed in a couple of days. But I discovered I’ll need a 4" hi-low adapter in the riser position on the back of the Impulse (16½" from center of receiver to ground) to match the base plate height (21" from center of clevis pin holes to ground) to achieve a level tow bar.
But I’m getting nervous. My Itasca 2011 Operator's Manual, p. 12-3, says "We do not recommend the usage of a "surge-style" braking device. The usage of a surge brake (especially when coupled with a hitch ball located outside our recommended limits (8" max horizontally from hitch pin to ball and 4" maximum drop)) places excessive stress on the hitch. This abuse of the ball mount and the hitch may cause premature hitch assembly failure."
Should I not use a Ready Break surge brake because of the above statement, and because of the 4" hi-low adapter in the riser position? I’m afraid the Xterra will put too much torque stress on the receiver bar.
Can you comment, please? What has been your experience with the Ready Brake? Do you use a hi-low riser? Have you pulled up and down hills or mountains, or just on the level? Is there anything else I need to know? Should I abandon my plans for the Ready Brake and go with a modulated system as recommended by Itasca?
Thank you for your help,
HikerRob
Hey,
I would certainly try to stay within the limits that Istasca stated. In my situation, the Wrangler is 18" center of baseplate pins to the ground and on my 31CP it's 20"-21". I was planning on lifting my Jeep a little bit (DIY leveling kit is $127) So I should be within an inch of level which Ready Brake recommends.

I can see where if you are 4" above/below level it would put extra strain on the hitch assembly. The best advice I can give is try to do more research about Ready Brake and the model of Itasca you have. I do believe your 31N is about 1 - 1 1/2' longer than mine.
Since we just took delivery of our motorhome Memorial Day weekend we've only had it out once and we didn't tow the Jeep. I did do a "test tow" which encompassed 2 fairly large hills, and it did fine. I doubt I would have issues anyway on just the first trip. I will be keeping an eye on the hitch assembly looking for any stress cracks though. I don't use a hi-low receiver.

Wish I could be of more help but I'm still a newbee with Motorhomes.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #14

Bjsrv,
The hitch isn't welded on, it is bolted with three bolts on each side holding an "L" plate to the inside of the coach's "C" frame rails. And yes, it has a 350# tongue weight limit. What do you mean when you say you "boxed" the extended frame? Did you weld a piece along the "C" channel frame to make it an "O" frame?
Thanks,
Hiker Rob
HikerRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing