Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #15

Why not an open trailer. I tow my Hot Rod on an open trailer. Trailer is only 1700lbs. You can get plan aluminium that are about 1200lbs. That's a,better way then closed!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2019, 12:59 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Why not an open trailer. I tow my Hot Rod on an open trailer. Trailer is only 1700lbs. You can get plan aluminium that are about 1200lbs. That's a,better way then closed!
I have been thinking about it after everyone's input. I'll have to find one that you don't have to load with ramps.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:40 AM   #17

My ramps are self contained. Justunlock them ,pull out, use, then slide back in and relock. No picking up and carrying. I'm 70 and don't like to lift heave things any more.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #18

Do you need the trailer for other things? If not, then why not look at buying a used vehicle that'll roll up onto the dolly without issue or better yet, a used vehicle that can be towed four down? You could get a nice toad for the price that new trailer would cost.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #19

My tow car is quite low as well. I have to use boards so the front spoiler will clear the wheel blocks on the dolly. Instead of two long boards, I use two shorter, and two longer boards. This way they stow better in the back of the car. It is not ideal, but I can still load the car on the dolly in about five minutes. The main thing I found is to load on level or downhill grade. If you try to do it going up hill, the boards tend to want to skip out. Shutting off the traction control helps as well.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:08 AM   #20

I set mine up with a remote control 12000lb winch. This way, my weight is out of the car and I can better see how its going on the trailer. I use a jump box for power and if needed I will crank up the front with the tongue Jack.
I have three and a half inches clearence under my front end of my coup I put on it.
If I'm in mine, I drag the exhaust and the front 4 bar mounts. So better I'm not in it. Just clears.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
My tow car is quite low as well. I have to use boards so the front spoiler will clear the wheel blocks on the dolly. Instead of two long boards, I use two shorter, and two longer boards. This way they stow better in the back of the car. It is not ideal, but I can still load the car on the dolly in about five minutes. The main thing I found is to load on level or downhill grade. If you try to do it going up hill, the boards tend to want to skip out. Shutting off the traction control helps as well.
Remove the spoiler?
Lynn
Old 10-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #22

I'd be looking at an open trailer and a quality car cover OR I'd be looking at a vehicle I could tow 4-down. Sometime we can't have our cake (car) and eat (tow) it, too.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #23

Can't tow a car with a cover on it! Beats the Crap out of the paint. I know from a friend that did that.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #24

What brand of dolly? I think a look at American Car Dolly or possibly Acme Ezze tow dolly could solve your problem. I have towed low front end cars on my American no problem. Both American and Acme the ramps remove so less trouble with ramps hitting as well. I'm guessing you have a MasterTow , I've seen many with 2in blocks of wood attached to the wheel pans to keep front from hitting, you lose a little safety since your wheels are not down in the wheel pans. I have an American very happy with it. Looked long and hard before deciding on which dolly to buy.
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Remove the spoiler?
Lynn
I think the car would look funny. I don't find the wood any big deal. I use 2x6 lumber. One piece is about 20" long, the other about 30" long for each side. My dolly tilts to load, so no ramps to remove. My car is a hatchback, so I just store the dolly spare tire, and the boards in the rear. The only trouble I had was trying to load one day that it had rained. The rv and dolly were facing up a slope. The one block of wood got spit out, and the spoiler dropped onto the wheel block. No damage to the car, but lesson learned. Its much easier to load with it level, or slightly down hill. My friend pulls a 24 ft. enclosed with his suv inside, as well as his golfcart or ATV. He has a DP to pull it with though. I sometimes pull a 16 ft enclosed behind mine as well with toys in it.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:05 AM   #26

Forget to add web sites to previous post

www.americandolly.com
www.cartowdolly.com

Not affiliated with either company
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:15 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsfla View Post
Forget to add web sites to previous post

www.americandolly.com
www.cartowdolly.com

Not affiliated with either company
Thanks for the links. I think I'm going to get an 18' aluminum tilt trailer. I can use it to haul my mower and skid loader as well then.

Thanks to everyone for the input.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
the e450 chassis is supposed to handlr 21k+.. my e350 is around 18k.. i tow a 16ft adding 4500-6000 to my 11,800.. 29.6 foot winnie..

regardless look at the last 60" of frame addon.. it is normally cheesey..
my son had a degree and cert in fab and welding..
we added some steel to help with the weight dist hitch to push load evenly.. took us 3 hours , some coffe and 80 dollars in tubong and angle...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, trailer