RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-12-2019, 11:04 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
nvs4602's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 250
Towing a 24 ft enclosed aluminum car trailer

Looking to buy an aluminium enclosed car trailer, to pull behind our 2017 31ft leprechaun 311fs on E450 chassis. I think I want a 8.5 x 24 ft trailer 7ft tall inside. I might be able to get by with a 20ft. Or 22ft. But is there really a big difference in towing a 20ft vs 24ft.? I'm looking at a bravo silver star like this with escape door. https://www.premiercustomtrailers.co...zEDg%7CMT.html
Our car is a 2013 malibu eco. Any in put is welcomed.
__________________

nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,988
Weight! What is you hitch rated for? I tow an open deck 16 ft car trailer and with the Escape on it at max tow WEIGHT of 5000lbs.
__________________

A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
winniman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Muskoka Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,445
That was my first thought. 20 foot plus trailers are usually only in the diesel pusher category. What are you putting in there, and what is your hitch rated for. Even an aluminum trailer that size is going to be well over 2000 lbs. My guess is you are going to be maxed out towing this rig. Stopping it might be the bigger concern.
__________________
2000 coachmen santara 370 5.9 cummins isb
winniman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
GBRG07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Penticton BC
Posts: 191
TrailerToad.com

I have seen a few guys tow a 24 foot trailer with a C class at the race track.
They used these trailer "toads".
I personally think it's way to much for a those frames but ….
__________________
99 Dutch Star Spartan 300 Cummins,Toad 06 Matrix
31 Model A , 2007 Road Glide, 56 Chevy Handyman station wagon (in Progress)
DW Suzie and Georgia Newfie,Cleo Mastiff
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Sandy Swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Delaware beaches
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRG07 View Post
TrailerToad.com

I have seen a few guys tow a 24 foot trailer with a C class at the race track.
They used these trailer "toads".
I personally think it's way to much for a those frames but .

How do they prevent jackknifing during a hard brake using a TrailerToad? Seems to be two points of rotation.
__________________
2005 Beaver Monterey 36' 400 hp Cat C9
2004 Newmar DS 4009 DP Sold 8/18
2008 Chev Trailblazer toad
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 19,483
The brakes on the trailer should be pulling back, preventing jack knifing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
How do they prevent jackknifing during a hard brake using a TrailerToad? Seems to be two points of rotation.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 19,483
My 2017 E450 Axis has a 7000 or 8000 lb hitch, although its not a 30ft MH.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,988
You have to realize its the total combined weight. Just because you see someone in the wrong doing it does not make it right. That toad has weight, the trailer is not light and what ever you put in it, the total combined will exceed your RV combined weight. I would not tow that combo to my local track even though its only 15 miles away!
A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,476
I pulled a 24 foot enclosed trailer from SW Oregon up to and around Alaska - in my previous motorhome (a 40 foot diesel pusher). That became complicated a few times at fuel stations and RV parks. What are you needing to haul? I had a car, ATV, BBQ, spare tires and a lot of tools. Became a heavy load. Not sure I'd try that with my current class C.
__________________
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug and Tasha a Frenchie
SW OREGON Winnebago Outlook Ford V-10
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 2015 RAM Limited 4X4 or a 86 El Camino on a trailer
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:31 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
nvs4602's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Looking to buy an aluminium enclosed car trailer, to pull behind our 2017 31ft leprechaun 311fs on E450 chassis. I think I want a 8.5 x 24 ft trailer 7ft tall inside. I might be able to get by with a 20ft. Or 22ft. But is there really a big difference in towing a 20ft vs 24ft.? I'm looking at a bravo silver star like this with escape door. https://www.premiercustomtrailers.co...zEDg%7CMT.html
Our car is a 2013 malibu eco. Any in put is welcomed.
Mine is 7500lb tow capacity, with 750lb tongue weight.
I will be around 6800lb with trailer and car.

If i go to a 20' trailer I would be at 6100 lbs car and trailer. So I would have a little bit more of a safety cushion if i did need to put something else in the trailer.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,988
Just remember that it is also gross combined weight. What you put in the rv and the trailer could put you over. Just something to be aware of.
A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
nvs4602's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Just remember that it is also gross combined weight. What you put in the rv and the trailer could put you over. Just something to be aware of.
14500 lbs for motorhome and 22000 lbs combined is what the sticker says.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
winniman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Muskoka Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,445
6800 lb trailer should have around 12 percent on the tongue for proper towing. That equates to 816 lbs. This is over your tongue weight. They recommend 12 to 15 %. Your payload capacity states 1683 lbs. That only leave you just over 800 pounds for cargo. A full tank of water is about 400 pounds if you have a 50 gallon tank. That leaves you not much for passengers, food, clothes, etc. You may find it also overloads your rear axle rating. If you were travelling locally this might be feasible, but I don't think I would plan cross country travel this way. That's not to say people don't do it, but as a general rule, maxing out your towing is not ideal. Any reason you couldn't dolly or four down the tow car.
__________________
2000 coachmen santara 370 5.9 cummins isb
winniman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
nvs4602's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
6800 lb trailer should have around 12 percent on the tongue for proper towing. That equates to 816 lbs. This is over your tongue weight. They recommend 12 to 15 %. Your payload capacity states 1683 lbs. That only leave you just over 800 pounds for cargo. A full tank of water is about 400 pounds if you have a 50 gallon tank. That leaves you not much for passengers, food, clothes, etc. You may find it also overloads your rear axle rating. If you were travelling locally this might be feasible, but I don't think I would plan cross country travel this way. That's not to say people don't do it, but as a general rule, maxing out your towing is not ideal. Any reason you couldn't dolly or four down the tow car.
The 2013 Malibu is not able to tow 4 down. I had a tow dolly and the nose of the car hit the dolly and you had to use long boards to load it, then you have to take boards with you and that is a pain. To setup up a car as a 4 wheel down toad is expensive and i don't want to be strapped to buying just cars that are 4 down towable. With a trailer I could put any car in it with out having to setup each one for 4 wheel down towing. Not to mention having the protection from the elements in the trailer.
__________________

nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tow, towing, trailer



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing Enclosed Car Trailer Pros and Cons Old Grape Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 7 06-24-2018 10:19 AM
Towing Enclosed Car Trailer Pros and Cons Old Grape Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 5 06-18-2018 05:31 PM
Trailer brake education, Excursion 360 diesel towing aluminum car trailer Goebs Fleetwood Owner's Forum 11 02-04-2018 08:32 AM
towing an enclosed car trailer with a 28' Allegro Breezee HTarnoff Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 24 08-20-2017 04:16 PM
Class A Coach towing a enclosed car trailer palehorse89 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 2 03-11-2014 10:35 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×