Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towing behind a Sprinter

I've called Fleetwood and Merceds both and haven't received an answer to my questions yet. Fleetwood Sprinter based motorhomes have a towing capacity of 3500lbs and Winnebago has 5000lbs on their Sprinter models. I've been led to believe that the hitches are already intalled at Mercedes. Now Mercedes says they have a 7500lb towing capacity on their Sprinter 3500's. I'm leaning towards the Fleetwood units with the 3500lb capacity, however my car weighs 3700lbs. Mercedes said that the lower hitch rating might be because of the heavier motorhome that's installed...but the weights between Fleetwood and WB are similar. What I'm being led to believe is as long as I stay below the GCVW I should be fine. I would feel better if I could talk to someone that knew more about this then I do...or has a kit or something to bolt on to increase the tow capacity. I've talked to a couple of hitch shops, and they've both said I should be fine. However I'm a little concrned about warranty if I'm over the tow capacity........plus the law, if I'm every in an accident. Any suggestions?
Fleetwood GCWR 14530 GVRW 11030 Towing Capacity 3500lbs Tongue wt 350lbs
Winnebago GCWR 15250 GVRW 11030 Towing Capacity 5000lbs Tongue wt 500lbs
Difference between GCWR Fleetwood 3500lbs WB 4220lbs
It's just me and the dog, and I'm sure I will be way under the GVRW of 11030 with full tanks.
Thanks Brian

2004 Fleetwood Revolution 38B
supercub is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Notice that Fleetwood takes a more conservative assumption. Winnebago has a 5,000 pound rated hitch but has less than that available in the net of GCWR - GVWR. Just because it says 5,000 rating doesn't mean there is enough reserve to do it.

Fleetwood commonly has a tow rating on their hitch of 3,500 lbs. my '01 on a Chevy 3500 chassis is that. 15,800/12,300. I have over 3,000 pounds cargo carrying capacity even after fresh water, LP and such are full and I still wouldn't tow something 5,000 pounds. Good rule of thumb is to not tow more than 80% of your tow capacity. I'm right at that towing an '03 Tracker
Some here may suggest that this can be solved by installing a more substantial hitch and reinforcing the frame extensions. I

looked at my frame extensions and I would not exceed the 3,500 rating as is even if

15,800, 12,300

History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry. Cut off. Some would suggest installing a 5,000 rated tow hitch and beefing up the frame extensions. I wouldn't chance iit.
History: '08 View, '05 Chinook, '01 Jamboree 24D, '78 Apache Popup, 81 Komfort Tlr,
84 Mazda B2000 'w canopy,
Tent from wedding shower in '96
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote