Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #15

In the dark people assume red lights mark the rear of a vehicle. Having them on the dolly places them a good 8 feet forward of the rear of my toad. During the day it's not as big an issue as people can clearly see the rear of the toad but at night someone might easily miss judge their clearance or stopping distance.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #16

I pull a Cooper also...it barely hangs off the dolly!

I don't use any additional lighting and have never had any issues.
FlatsixV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #17

The way people pay attention while they drive now, the more noticeable you are the better.
Bogie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Hey FordFixer, if you're still around.... yes the dolly has lights but they are not at the rear of the vehicle you are towing. We dolly towed for 2 years with magnetic lights on the rear. Unfortunately, if someone were to "rear end" you and you just had dolly lights..... and lawyers get involved, well, we didn't want to give them something like this to use against us.

Wyoming; A motor vehicle which is greater than 50 inches in width, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer or any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least 2 tail lamps mounted on the rear; either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, 2 or more red reflectors; 2 or more stop lamps; and electrical flashing turn lamps.

Others have different opinions based on their experience, but we have always tried to CYA (assets of course)
We're moving this to the new Spark that I referenced earlier in this post. I'm sure there is someone in my future who will want to pass the little car that is tailgating the motorhome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0904.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	200446  
Labrat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat46 View Post
We're moving this to the new Spark that I referenced earlier in this post. I'm sure there is someone in my future who will want to pass the little car that is tailgating the motorhome. [emoji23]
Hah, I like that!!
Old 05-04-2018, 08:37 AM   #20
Commercial Member

unless you use one of those light systems suggested, consult the mfg of the car before cutting into their wiring. there are adapters available that allow you to connect to the tail lights in most cars.
without the proper connector, you can short the wiring system of the toad. a very expensive proposition. my shop did that to a jeep in the mid 90's. thankfully not me.
i use a universal tail light/turn signal socket, and cut a hole for it in the existing tail light housing. there is usually room for the extra light. then run a separate wire harness to the front of the toad. no connection to the toad wire harness at all.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
extra lights

Just finished about 4000 miles with Mini Toad using the magnetic lights. Used the lights purchased from Harbor Freight shown in this thread for about $10. Bought on Amazon "LEDGlow Flat 4 Pin Y-Splitter Adapter Trailer Harness - For LED Tailgate Light Bars" for $10.99. Worked like a champ. Nice to see in rear camera that blinker is working and stop lights. Perhaps a little belt and suspenders but as Franklin said "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
gedlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
lights

I had my pt cruiser wired at camping world to hook up to my RV. got home and tested lights to make sure they work ..... blue my fuse!!! called camping world
said to bring them back!!! so i did .Did not cheek when home ,left out for Tex
and blue my lights at night!!! I spent all this for not.!!I was talking to my brother who is a full timer He told me not to worry about it all just go to Haber
Freight and buy a set of lights that you place on the outside of your car ,thy have magnets on them ,paid $9.00 or so . works well with no problems!! This is what I recommend for any one hope this is helpful.
paulpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
This is what I use. It works well, and is easy to set up each trip. Although it is a bit pricy, its probably not that bad when you consider what you will spend to have someone install wiring and diodes etc to use the existing lights.
RVHW32 Wireless RV Tow Light Package
jt
I use the same Tow Mate Light bar..I love it...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, toad, tow, towing