Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #1

Track Bar

I would like to hear from anyone who has installed a track bar on their MH. Did it help any with having to constantly move the steering wheel back and forth to keep it traveling straight? I have had an alignment and had over 5 degrees + caster, heavy duty sway bar and steering stabilizer. Tire pressure is with charts. This thing still wears me out after about 6 hours of driving. I know it is a big box on wheels but it should not be this difficult to keep in a straight path.
txhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm assuming you are on the F-53 chassis. You already have a front TB (Track Bar). Yes you will reduce the semi wall of wind effect with the addition of a rear TB. They are designed to reduce lateral coach movement.

Your front one works but the rear is being moved side to side and you're trying to correct for it.

If you have some tools and skills there's a thread on a "DIY REAR track bar for the F-53 RV " Just google it. It'll cost you about $50 to build.

We have most all of the needed MODS on our 31' rig. Last week we drove about 1,300 miles total north then south and had cross winds in both directions. The flags were straight out on the trip up.

The trip was tolerable but I want to make it better. I'm going to add the Roadmaster RSSA steering stabilizer shock with the heavy spring. Everything I read about that says it is a must.

The RED shock/spring I can get for $310 from Amazon and I'll use the brackets that I made for my other steering shock to mount it. You can buy the bracket kit for $100. Read the reviews and check out the U-Tube video's on the install. It's a piece of cake.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #3

My situation is probably a little different than yours. I have had my current 32 1/2' MH for over 5 years. Fortunately I had absolutely no handling/driving problems in the almost 4 years driving without towing anything and in the 4 trips totalling about 6,000 miles towing a Mazda CX 5 on a tow dolly.

When I started towing an F 150 4 wheels down I would occasionally get a slight tail wagging the dog feeling. One day last Nov. while driving across TX in some fairly strong winds, it turned into a white knuckle driving experience. I unhooked the truck and my wife drove the truck the rest of the day. Without the truck I could still feel the wind, but it was totally manageable. Actually I was driving along between 70 and 75 MPH, which was faster than I normally drive while not towing anything.

When I got home after the trip out to NM, I had a Super Steer rear Trac bar added since I had read on the internet that it would solve those handling problems. Since getting the Trac bar I've only towed the truck a couple of times back and forth across Alligator Alley (I 75) in FL. On both trips the winds were in the very low teens. I could still get the same tail wagging the dog feeling. I haven't been in any strong winds, but I think that in my case the Trac bar was probably a waste of money.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:17 AM   #4

Forgot to mention my rig is a 2017 Jayco Redhawk 26XD on Ford E450 chassis. Thanks for the replies. Also, I flat tow a 4 dr Jeep Wrangler.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #5

Wow...I am really surprised of this RV wandering with over +5 degrees of caster

Do you know the alignment shop well?

Did the alignment shop change out the caster/camber sleeves?

How much did the alignment cost?

How long was the RV on the rack?

Yes, I am very suspicious you may have over +5 degrees of caster on paper only....just saying.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:51 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not familiar with the E-450 chassis so you may not have the front TB as I thought. I did look up your rig on your public profile but it only gave the year and model of your unit and not the chassis.

You do have a 2017 unit and most everything is new so it's not worn out. I changed my stock shocks from Bilsteins to KONI with less than 1,000 miles because I wanted a better shock. Shocks since they dampen frame movement will help with side to side and some lateral movement.

What "Harvard " says above is a consideration. Ask for a print out of the final readings which is something that a good alignment should and does always do.

On the F-53 chassis which has a straight forged cast iron front axle the caster is set using flat plate shims and the camber is set by cold bending the axle. I know because I watched them do mine three years ago. The straight axle is made by Ford the camber should not have been off but both sides were.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed a rear track bar in a F53. Huge improvement, huge. Had constant steering correction needed due to the rear shifting one-way, pushing the front the other. Steering input needed. Then it shifts to the other side. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat...

SafetyTplus steering stabilizer was another impactfull driving And safety improvement.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #8

track bar

txhood,

You mentioned steering drift. Do you have a steering damper on the front? Check the existing steering damper. It may need an adjustment.

You might look at Safe-T-Plus steering damper. It reduces steering drift and assists in controlling steering during a front tire blow-out.

machlin
machlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:12 AM   #9

txhood,I thought the JRide package on the Jayco E450 included a rear Trac bar...but I guess not. Yes, a rear track bar to stop the side to side movement between the rear axle and coach from winds, both from nature and trucks. We also replaced the stock steering dampner with one with a centering spring which along with the trac bar cuts down on the constant left, right, left steering wheel sawing that you may have experienced. Put on HD sway bars and alignment. You can find a lot of info in the forums from people that have done these.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-31-2018, 05:57 AM   #10

Did you upgrade the rear sway bar ?

Have you tried running the tire pressures listed on the door jamb ?

I did the above mentioned things and I can steer my old Class C with 2 fingers.

Helwig rear sway bar and 80 psi rear, 65 psi front tire pressure.

There is no front track bar for the E series twin I beam suspension. Each axle beam is already connected to the chassis on the opposite side, elemenating any side to side movement.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Did you upgrade the rear sway bar ?

Have you tried running the tire pressures listed on the door jamb ?

I did the above mentioned things and I can steer my old Class C with 2 fingers.

Helwig rear sway bar and 80 psi rear, 65 psi front tire pressure.

There is no front track bar for the E series twin I beam suspension. Each axle beam is already connected to the chassis on the opposite side, elemenating any side to side movement.

I am running the pressures listed on the door jamb-- 75 front 80 rear. Have not replaced the sway bar or added an aftermarket steering damper.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhood View Post
I am running the pressures listed on the door jamb-- 75 front 80 rear. Have not replaced the sway bar or added an aftermarket steering damper.
Thanks for the replies.
Have you had your MH weighed ? Chances are the 75# tire pressure in the front wheels is more than necessary. Lowering the pressure to support the actual load could help in the handling.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #13

We tow a Wrangler as well with our Redhawk. The tracbar made a huge improvement on getting blown around in wind and heavy truck traffic.
DRK98 is offline   Reply With Quote