Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2015, 05:23 AM   #1

Trade in

Hi guys as you know we are only 6 months into this. We are thinking about trading in as there are a few things that we would have liked to have had but thought we could do without how bad will we get hurt and how do you find the trade in value it's all over the place . I know we will probably loose but was wondering how bad.
Mystictravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 05:41 AM   #2

Trade in

Looks like you purchased a used coach so my guess is that if you intend to move up in value & year of coach you shouldn't get hurt too bad ? The value on your coach should not of changed much.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:04 AM   #3

I believe you bought your used MB based MH in March. At 7:17 this morning you posted how much you love it. At 7:23, six minutes later, you are asking about trading it in. Are sure that's what you really want to do ?
I think you're going to take a big hit trading it in so soon. You bought from a dealer, who I assume made a fair amount on the deal. Trading it in , they will be looking to make a good return when they turn around and sell it again.
You would more than likely make out better selling it yourself, or perhaps putting it on consignment somewhere. Best of luck in whatever you decide.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Nothing, and I mean nothing, depreciates as badly as do RVs. Count on 20% of the balance each year. If you are thinking trade in, then you are going to loose even more money.

NADA is a good source for current pricing. A word of caution: when looking at NADA, do not double dip the accessories. By that, I mean, if equipment in your RV came as standard equipment, don't add it to the options to get a higher number. It's already in the price. And knowledgable buyers/ dealers know that.

Trade ins: On several occasions, I have totally lost my objectivity when looking to buy a rig with the low ball numbers that these guys come up with. A first pass number will be about 55 % of the NADA number, (which is already low.). They will then move a little, but it is absolutely highway robbery. And to make matters worse, they quote you a number and they won't even get off their butt and look at the RV. In a recent negotiation, the manager had given me a 55% number, without even asking for the key to look at the rig. A little later in the salesman's office,as I fumed,she told me it would make zero difference if I took the $2K Wineguard Travler off my unit before we closed the deal.

If you have anyway possible to sell it yourself, you will be thousands and thousands of dollars ahead.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you can make a trade with dealer you bought it from they may take it in for what you payed. Worked for a friend of mine. Price of the new one is a whole different story. The dealer will make money. Your money.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I believe you bought your used MB based MH in March. At 7:17 this morning you posted how much you love it. At 7:23, six minutes later, you are asking about trading it in. Are sure that's what you really want to do ?
I think you're going to take a big hit trading it in so soon. You bought from a dealer, who I assume made a fair amount on the deal. Trading it in , they will be looking to make a good return when they turn around and sell it again.
You would more than likely make out better selling it yourself, or perhaps putting it on consignment somewhere. Best of luck in whatever you decide.
I do love the coach but being handicapped climbing in and out of the bed is very difficult for me and as you know you always want to change things up once you buy a home bigger is better. We did very decent on the purchase .
Old 06-05-2015, 04:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Nothing, and I mean nothing, depreciates as badly as do RVs. Count on 20% of the balance each year. If you are thinking trade in, then you are going to loose even more money.

NADA is a good source for current pricing. A word of caution: when looking at NADA, do not double dip the accessories. By that, I mean, if equipment in your RV came as standard equipment, don't add it to the options to get a higher number. It's already in the price. And knowledgable buyers/ dealers know that.

Trade ins: On several occasions, I have totally lost my objectivity when looking to buy a rig with the low ball numbers that these guys come up with. A first pass number will be about 55 % of the NADA number, (which is already low.). They will then move a little, but it is absolutely highway robbery. And to make matters worse, they quote you a number and they won't even get off their butt and look at the RV. In a recent negotiation, the manager had given me a 55% number, without even asking for the key to look at the rig. A little later in the salesman's office,as I fumed,she told me it would make zero difference if I took the $2K Wineguard Travler off my unit before we closed the deal.

If you have anyway possible to sell it yourself, you will be thousands and thousands of dollars ahead.
Absolutely correct had 2 dealers call me back yesterday without even looking at it and gave me a price said would not matter how many upgrades I did they go by what was sold in the last 3 months. My coach is not represented in NADA or Kelly so I can't even get a book value . We want to trade up in size so will see how they fudge the numbers it's always a game.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:51 PM   #8

Bought my 2015 Class A from Alvarado Tx in Jan. I owe approx. $30k and want to get me a Class C since no one enjoys camping and getting away but me. It has low mileage under 4k. I know how car dealers can be but what I am looking at from the dealer is what are things to watch out for. I know I'll take a loss btw. tks for your replies.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
Bought my 2015 Class A from Alvarado Tx in Jan. I owe approx. $30k and want to get me a Class C since no one enjoys camping and getting away but me. It has low mileage under 4k. I know how car dealers can be but what I am looking at from the dealer is what are things to watch out for. I know I'll take a loss btw. tks for your replies.
We took an 8k hit in 7 months we were going to keep it but went on a trip and ck eng light came on again glow plug failure and some fuel pressure sensor for a vehicle with 14k on we have had nothing but issues with it they will give you what the avg coach has sold for in the last 3 months we purch a brand new tt so they fudged the numbers and made it work .
Old 09-02-2015, 06:40 AM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
You are better offer selling the MH yourself. The dealership trade business is a complete scam. I sold my 2014 TT this last March on Craigs List and made $5000 more than what the dealership quoted me on a trade. I know you have a MH, so selling it yourself might be difficult. I would at least give it a try. Good luck!
mtnbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trade in

Bought trailer in Oct, new. Used it twice. Traded up to class C in May. Lost 12k.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote