Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #1

Trading in.

We are considering trading our 2009 43' American Allegiance DP for 2014 25' Thor Citation Sprinter, Mileage with DP is so bad, we don't travel very often, just doesn't seem economical. Does anyone have any thoughts on The Sprinter model? There are only 3 of us, seems to be ok by the pics, Diesel Engine in Sprinter will have much better MPG but have not driven one.
Thanks.
spbailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2013, 03:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello and welcome, what kind of mileage are you getting? I am just wondering how bad it could be to take such a big step back wards. Sounds like you are going to trade your Cadillac for a VW.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why do people always assume bigger=better? Obviously the OP doesn't think so and wants an RV that is more manageable and economical. I certainly don't see his move as a "step backwards", more as purchasing what feels right.
That said, I think storage will be your biggest issue, you will probably learn to take what you need rather than what you think you need.
I don't have a Sprinter based RV, but from I'm told they handle extremely well, get decent mileage (around 15-18 from what I've heard). I do think you should drive one before you commit.
And Welcome to IRV2!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #4

On Average I get from 4.2 to 6.7 MPG depending on wind, I do not tow a vehicle, what I have learned is that it cost the same to get to our destination weather we stay a couple of days or a month, we still have kids in school so a long Weekend will be all we can get away with at best. Baraff make's a very good point, I am loaded to stay a long time for no reason, just always expect the unexpected. Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I wouldn't compare a Sprinter to a VW, they are more like a Porsche.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbailer View Post
On Average I get from 4.2 to 6.7 MPG depending on wind, I do not tow a vehicle, what I have learned is that it cost the same to get to our destination weather we stay a couple of days or a month, we still have kids in school so a long Weekend will be all we can get away with at best. Baraff make's a very good point, I am loaded to stay a long time for no reason, just always expect the unexpected. Thank you for your thoughts.
Is the a Cat engine? That is terrible mileage! I would think something might be wrong with the engine to get that kind of mileage. If we all just had more time to do the things we want........good luck and thanks for the reply.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Is the a Cat engine? That is terrible mileage! I would think something might be wrong with the engine to get that kind of mileage. If we all just had more time to do the things we want........good luck and thanks for the reply.
It's a 400 Cummins 27 k miles, it runs great but never gotten better than 6.7 MPG, I just assumed that was normal. Thanks for you thoughts.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #8

I have Class C Sprinter pulling a trailer I avg 13.6 MPG keeping up with traffic. Never lower 10 (high head winds) and never higher 15.5 MPG.

To compare with my Ford Class under the same conditions my MPGs are about doubled. My Ford never got better than 8.5. with an avg 6.5 with a low 4.0 MPG. I know my Ford chassis was alittle bigger.

The Sprinter even in class C handles like a giant mini van and I mean that in a good way. Road manners of the Sprinter chassis are great compared to the Ford. Last year I thought I wanted a larger queen size bed room, so drove a brand new Ford chassis class C again, all those bad manners were still there so that upgrade (down grade) was canned. I did even look into the caster change upgrade to the Ford (mentioned on this forum ) to fix some of those bad manners. Then I thought do I want to pay twice the $$$ for fuel. Yes, diesel fuel is sometimes more money, just finished a 2200 mile trip diesel was 5 to 15% more than gas depending on location. Fall and winter diesel pricing has the higher difference. Since you own a class A this is not new.

I did not consider a Class B Sprinter because I wanted a slide, multiple permanet beds and "full size" bath.

Sprinter's do hold 13 qts of oil, some what special oil (on sale $7.00 per qt) changed every 10,000 miles. I do that oil change my self to save $$$.
Showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #9

Thank you for sharing, I feel more confident about my decision, looking forward to picking it up next week, I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #10

I have a Winnebago View on a Sprinter chassis and usually get 16 to 17 mpg driving interstate speeds without toad. This is my first MH so I was concerned about handling. I found it well mannered and easy to drive. As other people said, fuel is a bit more expensive and harder to find than gas, but no more than a Class A DP.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbailer View Post
We are considering trading our 2009 43' American Allegiance DP for 2014 25' Thor Citation Sprinter, Mileage with DP is so bad, we don't travel very often, just doesn't seem economical. Does anyone have any thoughts on The Sprinter model? There are only 3 of us, seems to be ok by the pics, Diesel Engine in Sprinter will have much better MPG but have not driven one.
Thanks.
We dowsized fron a 38' DP back in January. The Cummins engine got around 10-11 MPG, and we are getting 14.5-15.5 with our Sprinter (Forest River Solera). The amazing part is the handling... the Sprinter handles like a dream, and i feel completely comfortable navigating in dense traffic. We bought the old DP when the kids were still home - both have finished college and are on their own now. We wanted something more efficient, true, but mostly a size that we could get into any of the state/federal campgrounds. Would NEVER go back to a huge class A.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
HHg

From my experience.....no way!! All I can say is open up the sofa bed/jack-knife sofa and imagine yourself with your spouse on it. Now imagine having to get to the restroom for the person sleeping on the wrong side of the bed, also imagine your feet sticking into the microwave, cabinet or whatever is on the opposite end. We bought a brand new Class C on the Sprinter chassis. We knew on the first night out we had made a mistake. It did get great mileage and drove so nice.....

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #13

That's great advise, I feel really comfortable in the future purchase, thank you very much.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I too have a FR Solera on the Sprinter chassis. We use it every weekend to drive to our eventual retirement home 150 miles one way. It handles great, very easy to drive. When camping, it is also great for two people and two dogs. Not a lot of wasted space, but we really don't feel cramped either. It does have good storage space as well.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote