Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Post Trailer hitch

Received my used "new" old Rockwood with a stinger and no ball installed in the hitch. It took a small sledge hammer and some time to remove the stinger. I cleaned it up with wire brush and several other attachments on my die grinder and still can't install any of my own attachments (stinger, bike rack, luggage rack). The opening measures 2", the same as my pickup, where all of these attachments fit. Was there an odd size hitch tube used on RVs or is this just a bad install? I noticed a weld down one side of the tube like it was manufactured that way or repaired. If repaired it probably had shrinkage - would explain the size.
Planemech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
hate to say it, but going by what little you explained, I would say to keep at it with the wire brush.... there is only 1 1/4" and 2" receivers... if you took a hitch receiver out of your pickup and slid it into the back of the RV it should fit, if it starts but doesn't go in all the way, then its just that dirty in there.

my .02

if you have axle grease, smear a bunch onto your ball hitch from your pickup and smear a bit to the walls of the receiver on the rv, that might help you out.

if you don't have axle grease, try Turtle Wax, it is thin and very lubricated, I used wax on mine last year when I was trying to get my receiver on my blazer cleaned out .

the weld seam you are seeing is factory, they take a flat piece of steel and bend it to a square so it has to be seemed together somewhere.

good luck!
ChrisNiemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Good info,thanks. I've got the inside clean. I even used a stone on the weld so it is flush. Guess I need something more aggressive to grind the walls down a bit, Don't think I'm to the grease stage yet. It slides in about 2 in. then stops abruptly. Very tight. Atleast now I know it Should fit and can continue.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
been a few days... just wondering if you came out with any luck or not?
ChrisNiemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Strange you should ask. I just all but gave up. After all the grinding and cleaning I could do (it shines now) I got the old stinger to slide in easily. Problem is I had to drive it out the first time so the ball attach hole is dinged up. This one also has chain attach loops attached to it with screws. They are falling off. So I wanted to use the stinger I use on my pickup - same manufacturer, same part number. It will now insert about half way and stops dead. I could probably drive it in but that's not how they are supposed to work. Thought I'd go to a hitch place to get an idea. Maybe one stinger is just a little large. Funny tho, it fits the truck just right.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
maybe the truck is a bit more worn out.... lol
Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Tried to post an image of the setup but don't have a url. Took the MH to a hitch place and they determined that it is home made. They used a piece of 2" standard square tubing instead of receiver tube. It has a different wall thickness - thus the problem. I'll have the tube replaced with receiver tube.