RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #1

Trailer to Class C

looking at used class c after 18 years of trailering. I towed trailers with Triton v10 ford. But t I see Mercedes diesels class c for similar prices. I would bet the Merc would ultimately be more reliable.What are the experienced opinions?
NOt set on a brand of chassis/coach yet Want nice & comfortable tho not too big.

Alansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #2

You get some limited capacity with the Merc. If your going to tow a car, make sure it can handle it.

Many have propane generators, if dry camping a lot, that could be a issue.

I test drove one and loved the size and ride. We wanted a bed with access from both sides, and it wasn't offered then.

We went with an older gas, class C and then on to a gas, Axis class A, on a C type chassis.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alansd View Post
looking at used class c after 18 years of trailering. I towed trailers with Triton v10 ford. But t I see Mercedes diesels class c for similar prices. I would bet the Merc would ultimately be more reliable.What are the experienced opinions?
NOt set on a brand of chassis/coach yet Want nice & comfortable tho not too big.
I can't comment directly on the reliability of the Sprinter vans. However, pirate4x4, a site made up of extreme do-it-yourselfers, hate them. Lots of mechanic types on there cussing the design and maintenance items on them. The only critique I really see on the Fords is on the rough ride (edit--and noise levels) and the dumb front suspension.

So, take that for what it's worth. Lots of people on here seem to love their Sprinters, and they uniformly love the ride and noise levels. If you're needing to tow, though, I don't think you'll be able to make the numbers work.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've seen more than one post where people with the Sprinter had problems getting anyone to work on the chassis.

I'd suggest calling around to your local repair places and ask them if they work on Sprinter type RV's.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You get some limited capacity with the Merc. If your going to tow a car, make sure it can handle it.

Many have propane generators, if dry camping a lot, that could be a issue.

I test drove one and loved the size and ride. We wanted a bed with access from both sides, and it wasn't offered then.

We went with an older gas, class C and then on to a gas, Axis class A, on a C type chassis.
Depending on the model of MBS you look at, propane available should not be an issue as far as the generator is concerned, in my viewpoint. On our MBS 2400R, we have a 17 gallon propane tank, and have yet come close to running out. Our last trip covered 5 weeks and I filled the tank before we left and still have propane left after the trip. Our travel was in the fall, so we did not use the generator a lot, mainly to run microwave and periodically recharge the batteries, If winter camping, and using the heater a lot, situation may be different. We are pleased with our unit, how it handles, the ride, and storage is not an issue if planned correctly. I will agree though, that each MBS has a difference CCC rating based on configuration and outside storage is an issue on some models. As to towing, if you stay under the approved rating - not an issue. We tow a 2008 Jeep JKS 2 Dr and it does wonderfully - don't even know it is back there. You're not going to win races up steep climbs, but performance is still admirable. You just need to find the layout that best suits your needs and go from there.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #6

Thanks good stuff to consider, the only issue I had with my v10 was the spark plug thing.since I'm familiar with its quirks it could be a good fit, I am taking time to learn . I had a 454 chevy motorhome but was one issue after another
Old 02-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks good stuff to consider, the only issue I had with my v10 was the spark plug thing.since I'm familiar with its quirks it could be a good fit, I am taking time to learn . I had a 454 chevy motorhome but was one issue after another
You need to look back before 2004 for blowing out plugs and look back before 2008 for snapping off plugs while changing them.

Since then, they got the bugs out.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:18 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Look at the leprechaun 260DS floor plan. I think you can get chevy or ford chassis with it. Plus you can get recliners in place of the sofa.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:42 AM   #9

l see some layouts that would work, which coach builder though is a tougher call.Lots of used low mileage units out there.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #10

I have a Sprinter, (Thor Citation 24ST) service issues- none, Checked around and to do the routine service I go to TAG Diesel Service. They are authorized by Mercedes to perform routine maintenance. I have to go to either Little Rock or Memphis to do any other work. Living in Arkansas that is about the norm for anything other than the big 3.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:06 AM   #11

my 2000 excursion had all the plugs break off.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #12

We love our rig built on a 2007 E350-V10 chassis. My one significant complaint with our E350 is that the gas and brake pedals are skewed to the left. The rest of all issues shared by others about the Ford E-series on different RV forums, I find negligible.

It takes a few days before I adjust to the skewed pedals. Then it is smooth sailing thereafter. But during the adjustment period, it can get unnerving.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:27 AM   #13

i had a 1982 Airstream classic motor home. built on a P30 bread truck chassis,classA, took awhile to adapt to its quirks.But I am quirky myself.
I really like the 2007- 8 model E450 based units with v10. I got 200,00 +
mileas on my Excursion with few issues. A5.4 would be ok , as I dont expect to tow anything.I am liking the Thor Chateau models so far.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:10 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Alansd, I ave never owned a Mercedes so I have no answers for you there, but are you a camper or a traveler? I have owned both travel trailers and motorhomes since 1985. If I was just a camper, went to an area and stayed for a week or so I would go back to the TT. What we like to do is go to point A for a day or two then move on to point B and so on. We also boondock on the way to or between locations. When we stay at the beach or someplace for longer than a few days my wife always reminds me of how large the living room was in our 3 slide TT.
Just thought I would ask! No matter where you go be safe and enjoy!

Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, trailer