Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
Trans will not shift out of park!!

First I must thank all the staff and new friends we met at Nashville. We had a wonderful time and look forward to doing a Rally again. We stayed an extra day at the KOA and went to the Grand Ol Opry on Saturday night. Sunday morning left for home, deciding to go North thru KY and WVA to PA. Went to spend the night in a campground in WVA, checked in and could not get the shift selector out of Park. Engine started fine, had foot on brake,selector would not move. Told the owner of campground and she said she would get her husband to see if he could do anything. This was getting late and it was cold and windy, I tried to stay calm as he tried to get it out of park, then he kindly let me hook up water and electric right in front of the office. The last thing he told me was to call the 800 # for Ford and to get the owners manual out and read it. It was too late so I just went to bed. Getting up early I got the manual out and started reading, SURE ENOUGH a section on not getting your vehicle out of park. Long story short, read the troubleshooting procedure and found a blown fuse in the brake light circuit, now I had no fuses that physical size so I exchanged it with one from another circuit same size and was able to get it out of park. The new fuse did not blow and I was able to continue homeward. The first chance I had, I bought new fuses but never replaced it until we got home and no problems. I had to have some warranty work done and a state inspection also, everything is still ok. I know it puzzled me and the people at the dealers and the only thing I remember out of the ordinary was hitting a pot hole really hard, that may have jarred something. I was not towing so that eliminated that end. This is 2014 Jayco class C Ford E450.

short kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
First, sure glad this turned out okay for you and secondly, thank you for sharing your experience. Certainly could be helpful someday.

Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
That seems to be a 'feature' present on most newer vehicles. An easy fix once you know what you are dealing with but it sure gets you the first time!! With all of the stupid warnings that most vehicles now have, you would think they could put a simple light or something on the dash to tell you what the problem is. ....something like 'hey! Your brake lights don't work' 😀 rather than locking the transmission...but I am sure it's another one of the many government regulations to protect us from ourselves...ugh!

Some vehicles (Toyota) have an override you can push in to bypass the lock
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
Perfect reason why we replaced our RV's fuses with Bussmann easyID Illuminating LED Blade Fuses that light up when they blow, making it EASY to quickly see if a fuse is blown... And which one. We also have spares for each different color (amperage) fuse and kept the original "old school" fuses as spares in a ZipLoc bag Just-In-Case
BrokerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #5

The " Park / Brake Interlock " is a feature on automatic transmission equipped cars , light trucks, and gas power motor homes.
Introduced, mid to late 80's, if memory serves, after a number drivers, drove through the back of their garages, by shifting into gear with their foot, mistakenly, on the gas instead of the brake.
The system needs to see the brake lights on to release the shift lever.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote