Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #1

Transfer Switch

Needs some help - specific info hopefully. Problem: Generator (Cummins QG4000) runs, but no AC, Everything works on shore power. Found circuit breaker on generator and it was not tripped, reset it anyway. Seems to me from my research it is probably the transfer switch. Issue is, I can't find it! Tried to follow shore power cables as told but as soon as it leaves the input (about 6") it drops into the chassis, sealed and not visible from under or inside the coach. I can't find the dadgum switch! My converter/ power panel is a WF-8955PEC. Specs say that the switch is not on it. Any help finding that sucker so I can replace it? Oh yeah, might help - I have a 2012 Coachmen Freelander 31DS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2016, 10:14 PM   #2

Don't know your coach specific.......

Some generators output goes to an outlet.....you then have to plug shore power cord into that outlet when using generator

Otherwise.........

Can you see where generator output goes to?
Auto transfer switch is a closed metal box
2 inputs (shore and gen)
1 output (goes to Main AC Panel

Old 01-08-2016, 10:23 PM   #3

I would be surprised if that MH has a transfer switch. Are you sure there isn't an outlet inside the compartment that your shore power cord comes from that you would plug the shore power cord into, to get power into your MH from the generator?

Oops - never mind - just saw Old-Biscuit's post .
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:24 PM   #4

OK, now I feel like an idiot . I knew that and forgot. Yes, I am a rookie - never had to run totally off gen before, always shore power or battery. Going to Quartzite next week and we set up, about 8 rigs, on BLM land. Always had a towable before, just bought this last year. Can't thank you enough for your help. Was going to buy a Honda gen if I couldn't fix this. You are a lifesaver. Thank God for forums like this! Thank you again!!!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I would be surprised if that MH has a transfer switch. Are you sure there isn't an outlet inside the compartment that your shore power cord comes from that you would plug the shore power cord into, to get power into your MH from the generator?

Oops - never mind - just saw Old-Biscuit's post .
Mich - thank you too! I just searched for "generator runs but no AC" and followed what I found. Not one of the search returns mentioned this at all.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHuckster View Post
OK, now I feel like an idiot . I knew that and forgot.
Don't feel bad I did the exact same thing today. I had my 31C at a shop to fix a generator problem. The tech got the generator going, after replacing a PC board (ouch$) and told me to turn on the Air conditioner. I'm inside playing around with the thermostat for a few minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't turn on the air conditioner. It finally dawned on me that this MH doesn't have a transfer switch. I'm used to my 31Ks have which does have a transfer switch (that I had added a couple of years ago).
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #7

Don't kick yourself too hard.....you now will never forget to plug in for generator power again

I got rid of my auto transfer switch (actually switches) after they failed and left me w/o power

Made and installed a 'manual' transfer switch.

I have 2 50A receptacles on my 5vr.
One up front and one at rear
Front one is add on for generator that is in back of my truck

Hooked up generator, fired it up...........nothing AC inside 5vr worked.

Spent the next 20 minutes troubleshooting when GF asked...."Did you flip sources? We were using rear plug last time"

I'm the one that did the install!

Old 01-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #8

This happens at times, We are looking at a different motor home and the salesman couldn't get the fireplace to work. The next day another sales person called me and told me the plug needed to be plugged in when using the genny. Ours has a transfer switch so I didn't know but I don't think I will forget if we buy it. That is the nice thing about all the helpful people on here. It seems we are all a wealth of info but in different areas.

Tags
transfer switch